William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at a special Town Meeting on November 13, 1922 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This house was sold to Annie M. Wilson, wife of Alexander Wilson on Oct. 25, 1938. Alexander Wilson was the President and manager of the Andrew Wilson Co. in Lawrence, MA. The Company began as a roofing company established by Alexander about 1900. It is stated that the Wilson Co. did the roofing job on the Ayer Mill in Lawrence. In 1947 the company refitted to sheet metal fabrication, producing metal cabinets, lockers, shelving and library stock. Most of the local schools installed Wilson lockers. Alexander's son Walter Wilson purchased the home at 14 William St. in 1939. Walter was the company treasurer.
Wilson owned the home for 12 years then sold to Joseph F. & Anne D. Bacigalupo on May 14, 1951.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 586 p. 43 - part of 1st parcel
Annie M. Wilson, Wife of Alexander Wilson - Oct. 25, 1938 - b. 618 p. 495
Joseph F. & Anne D. Bacigalupo - May 14, 1951 - b. 750 p. 307
Arthur E. & Eleanor H. DeMarais - July 31, 1957 - b. 858 p. 470
Lester W. & A. Elizabeth Johnson - July 13, 1962 - b. 963 p. 39
John H. & Henrietta E. Hess - Sept. 24, 1965 - b. 1044 p. 310
John H. & Henrietta E. Hess Realty Trust - July 14, 1989 - b. 2963 p. 74
Julia A. Streeter - June 15, 2012 - b. 12984 p. 167
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Alexander & Annie Wilson House|
|Construction Date||1936 - 1938|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-116|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 6/24/2015|