Greek Revival farmhouse, two entrances on main structure; one on east fronting So. Main and one facing south. Engaged pillar doorway surround on front.
Themes - Architectural and Community Development.
Property once owned by Benjamin Coburn and sold to Charles Abbott 2nd, later known as Charles Abbott on Feb. 17, 1851. Charles was a farmer but is listed in the 1860 census as a ships carpenter. He transferred the deed to the property to his wife Mary Jane (Burns) Abbott in on Nov. 20, 1886. The property went to Mary's brother Lorenzo Burns then to heirs George Burns and Mary E. Burns of Tiverton, RI. They then sold to Albert Kimball of Methuen in Sept. 1901 for $1050.
Kimball held for four years selling to Joseph Thompson of Lawrence in Aug. 1905. The Thompson family owned for 32 years, 16 years by Joseph and the same number of years by Elizabeth Ella Thompson.
In Sept. 1937 Anna Peabody Schofield of Windom, NH purchased the 3 acre property. She owned for three years, selling off a portion of the property to John Griffin in Dec. 1937, then sold the homestead portion to Vernon R. & Mae V. Walker in Sept. 1940. The Vernon Walker family lived here for 29 years selling after the death of his wife Mae in 1968.
Gerald & Beverly W. Bradford Jr. purchased the home in Jan 1969 and then sold to John D. & Diane C. O'Neil in Oct. 1970.
Lawrence S. & Michele V. Speidell were the next owners on Oct. 29, 1971. Speidells owned for ten years selling to Mary A. Breslin in June 1981. Mary owned for 14 years and sold to Alan S. & Pamela S. Russell on Nov. 29, 1995.
The Russell family did major restoration to the property and added a rear ell and garage. They sold after six years to Stephen & Christine Gross in Sept. 2001.
The property was once numbered as 283 Main Street and then #277 when the town renamed this portion of Route 28 to South Main St.
Essex North Registry Deeds, Lawrence - ENRDL
Essex Registry of Deeds - Salem, MA
1906 - map - J. Thompson
1888 - map - C. Abbott
1890 - tax list - Charles Abbott
1856-1885, map and tax lists and directory owner Charles Abbott, farmer.
Benjamin Coburn house and 2 acres land 1850
Charles Abbott 2nd (Charles Abbott) - Feb. 17, 1851 - b. 441 leaf 126, Salem, MA
Charles S. Parker - Dec. 3, 1885 - b. 89 p. 44
Mary Jane Abbott - Dec. 3, 1885 - b. 89 p. 45
George O. Burns & Mary E. Burns - heirs
Albert Kimball - Sept. 14, 1901 - b. 190 p. 574
Joseph Thompson - Aug. 1, 1905 - b. 223 p. 390
Elizabeth Ella Thompson - Apr. 6, 1921 - b. 590 p. 495
Anna Peabody Schofield - Sept. 23, 1937 - b.610 p. 106
Vernon R. & Mae V. Walker - Sept. 23, 1940 - b. 634 p. 581
Gerard & Beverly W. Bradford Jr. - Jan. 10, 1969 - b. 1122 p. 470
John D. & Diane C. O'Neil - Oct. 20, 1970 - b. 1160 p. 742
Lawrence S. & Michele V. Speidell - Oct. 29, 1971 - 1182 p. 249
Mary A. Breslin - June 19, 1981 - b. 1512 p. 198
Alan S. & Pamela S. Russell - Nov. 29, 1995 b. 4390 p. 124
Pamela S. Russell - Oct. 26, 1998 - b. 5394 p. 29
Alan S. & Pamela S. Russell - July 28, 1999 - b. 5507 p. 129
Steven & Christine Gross - Sept. 26, 2001 - b. 6384 p. 179
|Street||South Main St|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||small barn - garage.|
|Major Alterations||front door is replaced, but door frame appears intact. Rear elbow addition in 1990's|
|Acreage||1.13 acres, 165' frontage.|
|Map and parcel||78-26|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 1/2014|