The house was built with an open porch across the front facade. Simple lines to this gabled roof home with addition ells added as space was needed.
Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd. 1930-1935, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading, as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule in 1920 adds to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation list and within the Scotland School District from 1785-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development of this neighborhood came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.
William P. Shattuck purchased this 16 acre tract of land between South Main St and Boston Road on Mar. 29, 1902. Eleanor Fairbrother purchased the entire parcel on July 16, 1909.
Eleanor Clemmons was born Aug. 1872 dau. of Charles E. & Ella J. (Nichols) Clemmons. Eleanor married on June 26, 1897 in Epping, NH to Charles Fairbrother b. Mar. 1850 in China, Maine son of Wm. V. & Mary A. (Jackson) Fairbrother. Charles, a farmer at the time of marriage, would become a Veterinarian. They lived in Wilmington in 1900. Eleanor and Charles had four children; Charles R. b. July 1898, Lafayette b. Dec. 1899. Viola G. b. 1905 and William H. b. 1907.
Eleanor & Charles lived in the home at 1 Cottage Road and had the land surveyed and parceled off into house lots in September 1911 by Ralph D. Hood Civil Engineer (Map #147). Three new roads were created to access the properties off Boston and County Roads. Two roads remain undeveloped "Paper Streets" today although they appear on a plan in 1966 as Jackson Street north of this lot and Lafayette St. to the east. Charles died on Feb. 19, 1912 in West Newbury, MA. His occupation is listed as Real Estate. Eleanor remarried on Dec. 6, 1913 to Edgar Manning Earley b. Dec. 13, 1873 in Topsfield, MA, son of Charles and Mary E. (Margeson) Earley. Edgar was married before and had five children. Edgar died on Dec. 26, 1917 in Andover.
Mary G. Peters purchased lot #48 on Nov. 20, 1913 and the lot was divided into two parcels A & B. The 1920 Andover Valuation Schedule lists Mrs Mary G. Peters - Main St. (Boston Rd.) - House $600, House (unfinished) $300, 1/2 acre land $300 = $1200 assessment. Her husband Peter was assessed for a Barn & Shed $100. 3/4 acre on Old Boston Rd. and three other parcels on Old County Rd. This home occupies lot A
Peter Peters was born on May 2, 1862 in Canada. Peter, a farmer, married Mary Gaudette b. Mar. 15, 1874 in Canada. They had four children: Joseph b. 1893, Rosie b. Feb. 11, 1895, Irene b. 1899 born in Canada and Bert b. Mar. 24,1902 in Phippsburg, Maine.
Mary G. & Peter Peters sold the property to Thaher G. Davis on Apr. 13, 1931. Thaher Davis purchased additional parcels on Jan. 12, 1932 and took a loan through the Merrimack Coop Bank. Sadly the bank foreclosed on Apr. 27, 1935. The bank held the property four years then sold to William B. & Eva M. Auld on Aug. 1, 1939.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #147 - Sept. 1911 lot 48
Map plan #9542 - Lot 48 - parcel A south section
Charles H. Allen
Francis P. & Sylvia Goss - Oct. 29, 1864 - b. 676 leaf 169
Lucy M. Buxton - Oct. 9, 1884 - b. 78 p. 576 - 16 1/2 acres
Daniel A. McIntire, wife Elizabeth - Oct. 24, 1894 - b. 143 p. 144 - 16 1/2 acres
William P. Shattuck - Mar. 29, 1902 - b. 193 p. 14 - 16 acres
Eleanor Fairbrother - July 16, 1909 - b. 276 p. 284
Mary G. Peters, wife of Peter - Nov. 20, 1913 - b. 336 p. 98
Mary G. Peters, wife of Peter - July 113, 1913 - b. 558 p. 205
Thaher G. Davis - Apr. 13, 1931 - b. 558 p. 205
Thaher G. Davis - Jan. 12, 1932 - b. 562 p. 545 - six parcels
Merrimack Coop Bank - Apr. 27, 1935 - b. 588 p. 278 - possession 1st lot
William B. & Eva M. Auld - Aug. 1, 1939 - b. 624 p. 421
John H. & Agnes M. Leacock - July 31, 1946 - b. 688 p. 8
Raymond T. Nault - June 7, 1951 - b. 751 p. 218
Alfred G. & Elizabeth A Crosswell - Nov. 14, 1958 - b. 883 p. 353
Elizabeth A Crosswell estate, Alfred G. - July 11, 1962 - probate
Elizabeth A Hancock - July 10, 1974 - b. 1244 p. 707
Elizabeth A Hancock & Helen L. Hagman - July 12, 1976 - b. 1286 p. 691
Elizabeth A Hancock - June 2, 1987 - b. 2593 p. 113
28 Boston Rd. Realty Trust, Eliz. A Hancock - Aug. 1, 2010 - b. 11999 p. 25
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Mary & Peter Peters House|
|Construction Date||1913 - 1916|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding, replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||83-12|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||01/30/2006, 5/4/2018|