Second Empire or French Empire
Bracketed door hood, elaborate brickwork.
Themes: Architectural, community development.
Maple Ave. was once a 17 acre parcel of land that was owned by Samuel G. Valpey who purchased the home at 60 Elm Street for $6600 on Feb. 17, 1855. The property consisted of two parcels, the first was the house lot with 9 1/2 acres on Elm (the road from North Parish to South Parish) and the second was a 11 acre parcel,called "Carmell", off Elm St. on the road leading to the Andover Poor Farm, most likely Walnut Ave. to Burnam Rd. The deed mentions the B & M Railroad, which is High St. today, the former location of the Andover - Wilmington R R bed to Haverhill.
Samuel George Valpey was b. April 12, 1819, son of Samuel S. & Elizabeth Abbott. Samuel G. owned a butcher shop in Andover in the Brick Block on Elm Square. He married on Nov. 7, 1840 to Sarah Church Holt, b. April 1, 1821 in NH, dau. of Ezra & & Elizabeth G. (Wardwell) Holt. Samuel & Elizabeth had four children; George Harrison b. Aug. 3, 1841, Sarah C. b. Sept. 17, 1843, Ezra Holt b. July 26, 1846 and Charles Abram b. Sept. 22, 1849. Samuel died age 44 on Nov. 13, 1863. Wife Sarah died on Aug. 30, 1864.
Samuel's brother, Rev. Thomas Gilbert Valpey, was named guardian of his two sons Ezra H. & Charles A., both minors at the time. Thomas was licensed to sell off the estate at auction on May 15, 1866. Son George H. Valpey, wife Ellen F. (Dodd), was the highest bidder at $3350. The Maple Ave parcel of 17 acres 26 rods was purchased at auction by John H. Flint for $858.12 on June 16, 1866.
John H. Flint, at that time was also a butcher and developed Maple Ave. Andover Advertiser, July 23, 1875? - Maple St. opened; description of 1st house, a brick one on Flint's land. The lot was purchased by Moses V. Gleason, a brick mason for $800. on June 22, 1876. Moses Virginius Gleason was born on June 9, 1846 in Andover, son of Gamaliel & Hannah (Morse) Gleason. He followed the trade of his father and grandfather (see 12 Essex St.) Moses married Mariette E. Cook born Nov. 1845 in Newburyport, MA, dau. of Moody & Elizabeth Cook. Their marriage intention was published on Mar. 13, 1871. 1888 directory: Moses Gleason, mason. In 1900 census Moses and Mariette are listed at #16 Maple Ave. He then a plasterer. They share the home with Walter S. Rhodes age 28 from England and wife Elizabeth age 25. At #28 Maple Ave is listed a Stephen & Margaret Jackson and four children, Jane, Arthur, Ruby and Harold. All but Harold were born in Canada. Stephen is a house carpenter. The home may have been used a rental - income property.
Moses Gleason died on Sept. 4, 1902 of Sclerosis of the spinal cord. He was 56 years old. They had no issue. He is interred in Newburyport, MA. Mariette later sold the home to the Andover Home for the Aged People on Dec. 19, 1913. The Andover Home for Aged People had the home at 4 Punchard Ave. which contained about 8 rooms. It is interesting to note that Mariette Gleason would later live at 4 Punchard Ave. In June 1914 this property was purchased by Annie W. Swanton, wife of Fred A. Swanton on June 13, 1914.
Fred A. Swanton was the Superintendent of the Almshouse/Town Farm for 22 years. He stated that he had lived there 14 years (1908) at the time of the sale of the property in 1923 and had been a resident of Andover for 40years (1883). In 1891 Fred was a milk dealer and lived on Maple Ave. By 1897 Frederick A, farmer and milk dealer lives with Samuel A. Swanton, painter and Cora I., dressmaker at 75 Salem St. Fred also served as the town’s Pound Keeper and on the Special police. He was also the Superintendent of Spring Grove Cemetery from 1916 to 1938.
Swanton’s wife Annie B. (West) Swanton served as the Matron of the Almshouse / Town Infirmary from about 1913 to 1930. In 1901 Annie was employed at the Mansion House at PA. The Swantons moved from 88 Carmel Rd. to 23 Summer St. in 1930. The couple had two children, Stanley F. and Leslie. Fred died February 23, 1943 and Annie 26 years later on November 8, 1969. Both are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.
The home was sold to Jessie P. Dobbie, wife of Robert Dobbie on June 29, 1922. Dobbie took a mortgage for $4000. with Annie Swanton. Annie then sold the mortgage to the Andover Savings Bank in July 1927. Sadly the Depression necessitated the taking of the property from Dobbie by the bank in 1934. Annie Swanton then purchased the property back at auction on Mar. 7, 1934 for $3076.50. Swanton then owned for ten more years before selling to Honora Collins Porter on Sept. 23, 1944. Honora married John Casey. The property was then placed in Trust for Honora Casey. Casey held the property until 1972.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
1882 Bailey - Andover map
Samuel G. Valpey - Feb. 17, 1855 - b. 507 leaf 198 - homestead - 60 Elm St.
Samuel G. Valpey estate, George Foster Adm. - Sept. 13, 1866 - b. 710 leaf 147
Thomas G. Valpey - guardian to Ezra H. & Charles A. Valpey minors
George H, Valpey - May 15, 1866 - b. 728 leaf 231 - by auction
John H. Flint - June 16, 1866 rec. July 26, 1866 - b. 707 leaf 267 - 17 acres - Maple Ave
Moses V. Gleason, wife Mariette E. - June 22, 1876 - b. 42 p. 75 - lot $800.
Moses V. Gleason estate, heir Mariette E. -
Andover Home for Aged People - Dec. 19, 1913 - b. 337 p. 82
Annie W. Swanton, wife of Fred A. - June 13, 1914 - b. 343 p. 402
Jessie P. Dobbie, wife of Robert Dobbie - June 29, 1922 - b. 461 p. 595
Dobbie to Annie W. Swanton - June 29, 1922 - b. 461 p. 596 - mtg. deed
Swanton to Andover Savings Bank - July 26, 1927 - b. 534 p. 18 - mtg. deed assign.
Andover Savings Bank - Mar. 7, 1934 - b. 577 p. 1 - Poss.
Annie W. Swanton - Mar. 7, 1934 - b. 577 p. 1
Honora Collins Porter - Sept. 23, 1944 - b. 667 p. 190
Helen Gigis - Dec. 31, 1948 - b. 719 p. 95 - deed transfer
Honora Casey Trust, Honora Casey and Mary A. Collins Trustees - Dec. 31, 1948 - b. 719 p. 95
Honora Porter Casey - Apr. 27, 1959 - b. 892 p. 5
Arthur O. & Marie Leola Guillet - Oct. 6, 1972 - b. 1203 p. 699
Michael & Kristian Lehmann Moriarty - Oct. 26, 2007 - b. 10951 p. 30
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Moses V. Gleason House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Second Empire|
|Roof||asphalt - mansard|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||pool 1975|
|Acreage||0.355 acre, 15,478 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 70'|
|Map and parcel||38-147|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 3/16/2016|