28 Phillips Street

Architectural Description: 

Greek Revival farmhouse, gable end facing street, front porch,

Historical Narrative: 

The land was the property of the Trustees of Phillips Academy prior to the Civil War and was sold to Aaron Cummings on April 1, 1865. The “Greek Revival” farmhouse was built by Cummings about 1865 and included a large portion of farmland on the south side of Phillips Street. Aaron was born on September 11, 1819 in Albany, Maine, son of Francis and Lois Cummings. Aaron was in Andover before 1850 and lists his occupation as farmer. Aaron married on Feb. 28, 1866 in Andover at age 46 to Lydia L. Sawyer age 25, b. Sept. 1840 in Methuen, MA daughter of Asa & Lydia Sawyer. They had three children Lois M. b. June 1869, Arthur G. b. 1872 and Florence L. b. October 1874. Aaron sold off 14 acres of land to Susan C. Dove in 1895 for a house lot at #24 Phillips Street and later another lot was sold to the rear of their property creating #26 Phillips St. Both have a deeded right of way just south of the Cummings lot. The property remained with the Cummings family for 75 years before being sold in 1940. Aaron died on March 11, 1911 and wife Lydia the following year in September 1912. Their children inherited the estate and Lois and Florence remained in the homestead. In 1904 Florence lists her occupation as clerk in an Archaeological Bld. Arthur married and moved to Middleboro, MA. Lois died in May 24, 1927 leaving Florence and Arthur as co-owners. They would sell to John W. and Anna Bond on May 9, 1940. Florence moved to Morton Street and died in April 1965. The Cummings are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.
John Bond was a Textile Worker in Lawrence, his son Edward the proprietor of the company. John died at age 70 just two years later in Sept. 27, 1942. Anna remained eight more years selling on July 14, 1950 to Elizabeth B & Everett Hull. Everett was an accountant with M. T. Stevens Co. The Hull family remained here for a decade.
The property was purchased on September 6, 1960 by Ruth Hayes. She was the daughter of Bartlett H. & Marjorie (Scull) Hayes and grew up next door at #24 Phillips St. Her brother Bartlett Jr. an art teacher and Director of the Addison Gallery of American Art at Phillips Academy continued to live in the family home. Ruth born in Andover in 1909 died in 1976.

Owners;
Trustees of Phillips Academy - prior to 1865
Aaron Cummings - April 1, 1865 b. 682 lf. 45 Salem Deeds
Aaron Cummings estate - Mar. 31, 1911 b. 302 p. 91 Lawrence deeds
Heirs, Lydia A., Arthur G., Probate
Florence L., & Lois Cummings
Florence L. Cummings & Arthur G. Cummings - May 1927 Probate
John W. & Anna Bond - May 9, 1940 b. 630 p. 225
Anna Bond - Sept. 1942 Probate
Elizabeth B. & Everett Hull - July 14, 1950 b. 740 p. 385
Ruth Hayes - Sept. 6, 1960 b. 922 p. 132

Bibliography/References: 

Andover Vital Records
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds
Ancestry.com Cummings family
Federal Census 1870, 1880, 1900
Spring Grove Cemetery
Andover Building Survey

Inventory Data:

StreetPhillips St
PlaceAcademy Hill NRH District
Historic DistrictAcademy Hill NRH District
Historic NameAaron Cummings House
Present Useresidence
Original Usefarmhouse -residence
Construction Date1865
Architectural StyleGothic Revival
Architect/BuilderAaron Cummings
Foundationgranite, field stone
Wall/Trimclapboard
Roofasphalt
Outbuildings / Secondary StructuresBarn razed 1990's
Conditiongood
Acreage1
Settingresidential
Map and parcel56-10
Recorded byJ. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date enteredDec. 2013

Map: