Square plan with side ell. The main block of Hayes House is two stories with 3 bays. Gable end to street. The gable roof has 2 end chimneys. The center entrance has a raised paneled door with side lights, flanked by pilasters supporting a plain entablature. There are five sash windows with 6 over 6 lights. The house is painted. The corner boards, cornice and window trim are painted white. The shutters are painted black. The one story ell contains four bays. An off center entrance is flanked by a pair of small windows on one side and 3 windows on the other. A small chimney is located on the slope of the gabled roof. The entry way has a transom with 4 lights. The architectural trim, material and color compliment the main block.
Phillips Academy map #181
Former Aaron Cummings farmhouse
1885-86 directory: Aaron Cummings, farmer
1928 directory: Richard, chief engineer, Phillips Academy;
Allis, Frederick, Jr., Youth from Every Quarter. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, 1979. pp. 597-599.
Maps: 1888, 1884
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Aaron Cummings - HayesHouse|
|Present Use||faculty residence|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||56-10|
|Recorded by||Sandra Pomeroy|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society|