This property was owned by Josiah Putnam Bradlee in the 1860s when he acquired the Ballard Vale Mills. Bradlee died on Feb. 2, 1887 and his estate was placed into a trust for his brother and sister in 1889. His friend William H. Hodgkins, Trustee of his estate, became president of the Ballard Vale Mills. After the death of Bradlee's siblings the trust property was sold by Hodgkins to the Ballard Vale Mills Co. on Feb. 5, 1905. This property is a portion of the fifth parcel in the deeds containing lots #17, #18 & #19. The northerly end of the parcel was lot #19 on the 1889 Bradlee estate property map.
The Ballard Vale Mills CO. held the property for 21 years then sold off much of their holdings in 1926. This property was sold to Clinton E. & Nellie F. Downs on Jan. 8, 1927. The deed was placed in Nellie F. Downs name on Oct. 30, 1931.
Andover Savings Bank held the property on Apr. 25, 1944 and then sold to Chester A. & Martha C. MacMillan on July 12, 1944. Their son John E. MacMillan later inherits the property. John placed the house into the John E. MacMillan Living Trust, with John E. & Herbert T. MacMillan, trustees on May 6, 2010.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
J. Putnam Bradlee Estate plan 1889 - parcel 5 lots #17, #18, #19 (Lot #18)
Map plan #7519 - Wm. B. Roberts - Aug. 1976 -5500 sq.ft.
Josiah Putnam Bradlee -
J. Putnam Bradlee estate, Feb. 2, 1887, William H. Hodgkins Trustee 1889
Ballard Vale Mills Co. - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 238 (p. 241) - north part of Parcel #5
Clinton E. & Nellie F. Downs - Jan. 8, 1927 - b. 529 p. 110
Frederick S. Boutwell - Oct. 30, 1931 - b. 561 p. 259 - deed transfer
Nellie F. Downs - Oct. 30, 1931 - b. 561 p. 259
Andover Savings Bank - Apr. 25, 1944 - b. 663 p. 584
Chester A. & Martha C. MacMillan - July 12, 1944 - b. 665 p. 421
John E. MacMillan, heir & son - b. 665 p. 421 - Probate #328798
John E. MacMillan Living Trust, John E. & Herbert T. MacMillan, TRS - May 6, 2010 - b. 12027 p.1
Merrimack Valley Partners, LLC - Oct. 26, 2012 - b. 13185 p. 5
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Original Use||residence, Mill housing|
|Construction Date||1845 - 1850|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows, vinyl siding|
|Map and parcel||139-65|
|Recorded by||Ruth A. Sharpe (BallardvaleHistoric District) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Feb. 1996, 12/29/2016|