Former barn of Marland - Cogswell Estate
Moved to create Brechin Terrace in 1906
This property once included as part of the Marland-Cogswell house across the street at 29-33 Shawsheen Rd. The Homestead included a carriage house, small house and two barns, all belonging first to mill owner Abraham Marland and then to businessman and son-in law Francis Cogswell Esq.
Abraham Marland (1772-1849) learned the textile business in his native England and nearby Beverly before coming to Andover in 1807. His first manufactured cotton yarns in Abbott Village and then relocated his factories down river at Marland Village.
Francis Cogswell, Esq. (1800-1880) married Marland's daughter Mary S. on June 8, 1829. and was at one time President of the Boston and Maine Railroad Company.
Shawsheen Road was once known as Village Street and this area was called "Cogswell Hill". Numbers 26, 28 and the former house at 30 Shawsheen Rd were buildings from the Marland-Cogswell estate. They were moved across the street when Smith and Dove began construction of Brechin Terrace in 1906 - 1907. The former carriage house and barn was converted to employee housing. This home is believed to have been on of the barns.
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. recognized the need for operative housing by 1900 and slowly acquired several homes in the immediate area of Abbott Village. They also built quality housing for their working force at 62-84 Essex St., the double homes on Brechin Terrace and Hillside at 25 Shawsheen Rd. The company reorganized in twice once in 1864 and again in 1912 bringing all their properties together into one master deed.
The company supplied their workers with a Village Hall (#77 Essex St.) for community gatherings, built “Hillside” on Shawsheen Rd. for single women workers; provided childcare service, bowling alley, laundry and large dining room used for meetings and parities. S & D Co. also bought the old Cricket Field for the company soccer, football and baseball teams and sponsored many field day outings for their employees.
In 1927 the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. was sold to the Ludlow Co. The housing real estate was placed in the Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. that year, later changing the name to Andover Homes, Inc. All the housing properties were then sold off to private individuals. The company operations were moved to Ludlow, MA and the mill closed in 1928.
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. under George Endicot Pres. divided up the properties selling #28 to Neil C. & Ella M. Nicoll on May 6, 1927. Nicoll then sold to Norman K. & Jean K. MacLeish the following month on June 20, 1927. In 1943 Norman is listed as Asst. Superintendent in Lawrence. Their daughter Jean N. is a WAAC. Norman died on Dec. 22, 1953. Wife Jean . b 1896 continued to live in their home and sold after 34 years of ownership to Melvin F. & Alda J. Saul in May 1961.
The Saul family owned for eight years selling in Dec. 1969 to John & Sandra Popielzrski who held ownership for about 1 1/2 years.
They sold to Albert F. & Catherine Ventrillo in June 1971. Albert was a custodian for the Public Schools System. He also was a veteran of WWII. Ventrillos lived here for 31 years, Catherine selling in June 2002 after Albert died on Mar. 28th of that year.
Jane M. Doherty purchased the house on June 10, 2002 and lived here for seven years. After she married, now Jane Bailey, she sold to current owners (2014) Mathew Witte & Jodi Anna Saia.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser AA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Andover Historical Society files.
Andover Valuation and directories
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - deed changes in 1864 and 1912
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. Walter Amesbury, Pres., - Feb. 21, 1927 - b. 529 p. 587
See map #676 lot 22 - Smith & Dove 1927
Abraham & Mary Marland (1772-1849)
Francis & Mary S. (Marland) Cogswell - (1849 -1880)
Francis Cogswell estate, 1880
John F. Cogswell & Wm. Hobbs, Extrs. - Mar. 3, 1880
Reuben Merrill - June 21, 1880 - b. 60 p. 564
Esther M. Cogswell - June 21, 1880 - b. 60 p. 566 - four parcels
Esther M. & Frank F. Cogswell -
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - Aug. 8, 1887 - b. 92 p. 100
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. - Feb. 21, 1927 - b. 529 p. 583
Neil C. & Ella M. Nicoll - May 6, 1927 - b. 531 p. 561
Norman K. & Jean N. MacLeish - June 30, 1927 - b. 533 p. 69
Jean N. MacLeish, heir, Norman died. Dec. 22, 1953
Melvin F. & Alda J. Saul - May 16, 1961 - b. 936 p. 110
John & Sandra L. Popielzrski - Dec. 18, 1969 - b. 1147 p. 437
Albert F. & Catherine Ventrillo - June 21, 1971 - b. 1173 p. 289
Catherine Ventrillo, heir, Albert died Mar. 28, 2002
Jane M. Doherty - June 10, 2002 - b. 6886 p. 316
Mathew Wille & Jodi Anna Saia - June 24, 2009 - b. 11657 p. 67
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Major Alterations||2014 - Exterior pipes not appropriate for historic structure|
|Move Details||Former barn on Marland-Cogswell estate at #29-33|
|Map and parcel||72-49|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/2014|