Italianate style, deep eaves, double entrance doors with arched glass windows, front porch was added during Herman ownership, replicated from porch on School St. by George Trickett.
Deeds reflect land ownership from 1850's until 1860 under name of Gamaliel and Margaret M. Gleason. Andover tax assessor's records indicate house and property taxed to James H. Smith. Tax assessor's records appear to be missing between 1850 - 1857. (Some family tie, yet unestablished, exists between the Gleason's and the Smith's). Original tract of land 4 1/2 to 5 acres, subdivided in 1957. Maps indicate a large barn, hen house, and several outbuildings existed prior to 1957.
Howell Drive was developed by Fred E. Cheever in 1956 when he connected Allen Court to the new Fosters Circle. The Allen Court name changed to Howell Drive in 1958, named for Mrs. Mary J. Howell who owned the property at 28 Summer St. and the homes on the court at #5 & #7.
The Howell Dr./Allen Ct. property was once part of a larger 4 1/2 acre parcel connected with the Gamaliel & Margaret M. Gleason home at 28 Summer Street. Margaret M. Gleason was deeded the property through George Foster on Aug. 17, 1869 from her husband Gamaliel. Margaret held the property for about a year then selling to Charlotte C. Smith, wife of James H. Smith. The deed states to Charlotte C. Smith, "to her sole and separate use free from interference or control of her husband or his creditors." Smith owned the property for 23 years.
Mary J. Howell, wife of James H. of Ballardvale purchased the property on April 22, 1893 for $6500. It would be the Howells who developed the property along Summer St. and created Allen Court.
Apr. 17, 1897 p1 Andover Townsman; p5 – Building mover Wilson is moving two houses from Ballardvale to John Howell’s land on Summer Street.
Ballardvale – John Howell has moved his house, which was on the Plains, to Andover. He has also made arrangements to move his houses which are on Pole Hill to the same place.
April 23, 1897 AT - p 4. Editorial Cinders – If building mover Wilson has good luck, and one half the number of buildings called for by the largest tale, is moved from Ballardvale to Andover, there will be no further trouble about steamers, or railway, or a district share of town officials. They will all be up in the centre.
May 28, 1897 AT – William Driscoll has sold his house on Summer Street to John Howell, who will move it to his land on the new street. Mr. Driscoll intends to build a new house at the place of the old one.
The 1900 Valuation schedule of Mrs. Mary J. Howell's property includes house and barn at 28 Summer St. total $3000, the Driscoll House off Summer St. $700., and the Ballard Vale house off Summer St. $1000. 4 acres of land $2500. Howell also owned three more properties on Marland St. in Ballardvale.
Edward Romeo, restaurant owner (Fieldstones, Andover Inn)
Elizabeth Romeo, Kindergarten teacher Andover Public Schools
Fred Cheever, real estate developer
William A., Howell, farmer
John Howell, farmer
James H. Smith, blacksmith
Gamaliel Gleason, mason
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852,1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules - 1900, 1910, 1920
Andover Street Directories
Map plan #3478 - April 1957 - Sub-division Howell Dr.
Building Marker 1990
Ezra Abbot, wife Hannah
Benjamin, Gamaliel and Moses Gleason - Jan. 1, 1839 - b. 317 leaf 187 - 10acre 14 rods
Benjamin Gleason estate, Ephraim & Rhoda Everson, Thomas K. & Damaros G. Kimball heirs
Gamaliel Gleason, Margaret M. wife - b. 611 leaf 45
George Foster - Aug. 17, 1869 - b. 779 leaf 260 - transfer
Margaret M. Gleason - Aug. 17, 1869 - b. 779 leaf 261 (262 last lot) Salem Deed
Charlotte C. Smith, wife of James H. -July 14, 1870 - b. 5 p. 342
Mary J. Howell, wife of John Howell - Apr. 21, 1893 - b. 124 p. 535-536
Mary J. Howell estate, William A. Howell heir - October 15, 1910
William A. Howell - Nov. 8, 1924 - b. 506 p. 75
Fred E. Cheever Dec. 17, 1956 - b. 847 p. 422
Edward A. & Elizabeth Romeo - Oct. 5, 1959 - b. 903 p. 70
Edward A. Romeo estate, Elizabeth Romeo heir - Oct. 23, 1981 - probate
Stephen J. & Karen M. Herman - Apr. 15, 1982 - b. 1569 p. 30
James W. & Mary M. (Morris) Pannos - May 29, 1997 - b. 4765 p. 98
Thomas H. & Amy S. Tulip - June 26, 1998 - b. 5104 p. 101
Tulip Realty Trust, Thomas H. & Amy S. Tulip, Trs. - Nov. 1, 2010 - b. 12258 p. 295
Tulip Realty Trust, Thomas H. & Amy S. Tulip, Trs. - Mar. 30, 2012 - b. 12887 p. 9
Tulip Realty Trust, Thomas H. & Amy S. Tulip, Trs. - Apr. 4, 2012 - b. 12887 p. 29
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Gleason-Smith-Howell House|
|Construction Date||ca. 1853|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||remodel rear ell 2013 remodel 1988 by George Tricket|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||21-51|
|Recorded by||Karen Herman, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||24 Sep 1990, Nov. 3, 2015|