29 Boston Road

Historical Narrative: 

Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd. 1930-1935, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule in 1920 adds to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation lists and within the Scotland School District from 1785-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development in this neighborhood came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.

This property was once owned by Rufus Caldwell and was part of his 75 acre farm. His house was located east of Boston Rd. between So. Main St. His estate was auctioned off after his death in October 1891. The property was purchased by Brooks F. Holt for $1500. Brooks F. home was on South Main St. and he was an Ice Dealer in town. Brooks later sold his business and began selling off parcels of the former Caldwell farm.

Brooks F. Holt sold this parcel of land on March 23, 1915 to Margaret "Maggie" Bernard. The deed states a portion of "The Old Caldwell Farm". The 1920 Andover Valuation Schedule list Mrs. Maggie Bernard, Main St. House $800, Shed $50, 21875 sq. ft. land $50 and 2 acres of land $150 = $1050 assessment.

Margaret (Gaudet) Bernard was the widow of Isadore Bernard, both of Prince Edward Island, Canada. Margaret was born on Feb. 22, 1870 in Tignish, PEI daughter of Philip & Marie "Mary" (Gallant) Gaudet. Maggie married on Nov. 6, 1888 in Tignish to Isadore Bernard b. Aug. 5, 1864, PEI, son of Sylvan Joseph & Anne Nannette (Doucet) Bernard. Isadore & Maggie had seven children; Joseph Alexander b. Apr. 4, 1890, Jerome Leyfred b. Sept. 25, 1891, George b. July 7, 1893, Mary Ann b. Feb. 10, 1896, Angeline Mary b. Jan. 7, 1897, Sylvan Philip b. Dec. 29, 1898 and Henry b. in 1900 all in Tignish, P.E.I.
Isadore died in P.E.I. and Maggie came to Andover. George, Mary Ann and Sylvan are living here with their widowed mother in 1918. George would later marry Rose and lived next door. Angeline married Alfred Richard. Mary Ann died on Feb. 1932. Maggie deeds the property to her son Sylvan Bernard on July 2, 1946. Sylvan married Viola and they lived here with Maggie. Sylvan sold the property to Richard B. & Doris Louise Keene on Apr. 8, 1955 and moved to Stevens St. Maggie died on June 10, 1957.

An "Honor Roll" was erected on the front lawn to honor residents of this area serving in W. W. II A picture of the Honor Roll can be found in the book "Andover, A Century Of Change" pg. 49. with Laura Early Richards standing in front of the sign. The image provided by Leo Bernard, son of George in 1995. The Honor Roll was actually on "Carter's Corner" on South Main St and Rocky Hill Rd.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedule 1920

Rufus Caldwell estate, Albert W. Caldwell Adm. - June 1, 1891 - Probate
Brooks F. Holt - Nov. 9, 1891 - b. 116 p. 41
Maggie Bernard - March 23, 1915 - b. 3511 p. 116
Sylvan Bernard - July 2, 1946 - b. 686 p. 445
Richard B. & Doris Louise Keene - Apr. 8, 1955 - n. 811 p. 22
Peter & Susan Spottett - July 6, 1982 - b. 1588 p. 56
Ivinor G. & Kimberly A. Almeida - Oct. 16, 2009 - b. 11801 p. 222

Inventory Data:

StreetBoston Rd
PlaceScotland District
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameMargaret G. Bernard House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1915
SourceERDS, NERDL, style,
Architectural StyleOther
Wall/Trimcedar shingles/wood
Major Alterationsresided in cedar shingle 2006
Acreage0.502 acre, 21850 sq. ft.
Map and parcel83-57
Recorded byJames S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered01/30/2006, 5/11/2018