Listed as Craftsman or Shingle style, cedar shingles, stone foundation and arched porch entry with large corbels and roof dormer are elements found in both styles.
2 1/2 story wood dwelling with 1-story porch, L surround and I-story L side projection; stone garage in rear
The property along the south side of Morton Street was once owned by Phillips Academy. In 1908 the Trustees of Phillips deeded 21 parcels of land to Andover Theological Seminary on July 1, 1908. The Seminary sold off house lots with the following deed restrictions. Only single family dwelling homes adapted to the use of one single family, only outbuildings as commonly used with a dwelling house, including private stable and private automobile garage. Dwelling shall not cost less than $4000 above the foundation, any stable should not cost less than $1500 above the foundation. Any elevation plans and location of building must be approved by the trustees. 30’ set back from Morton St. and 10’ on the sides and rear. No Inn, hotel store, shop or livery stable shall be erected on the lot, No mechanical or manufacture. The restrictions to remain for 999 years. This was lot #2.
Mabel J. Trott, wife of Emery E. Trott purchased lot #2 on Mar. 5, 1914. Emery Ephrian Trott was born Oct. 4, 1866 in Perry, Maine son of John H. & Martha Jane (Grove) Trott. Emery’s father was a ship builder. Emery was a carpenter when he married on Sept. 22, 1892 in Clinton, MA to Mabel J. Johnstone b. 1865 in Sherbroke, Quebec, Canada dau. of Charles & Mabel Johnstone. They had one son Emery J. born Sept. 27, 1902 in Manchester, NH. The Trotts moved to Worcester where he is a house carpenter. Later moved to Lawrence, MA where Emery worked for Briggs & Allyn Sash & Blind Co. All census records list him as a wood worker and carpenter. It is possible that Emery Trott built this home. They are listed at 29 Morton St. in the 1916 directory. Emery is working at D.W. Pingree Co. in Lawrence. They sell the home on Oct. 2, 1917 to the Pritchard family. Trott moves to Lawrence but returns to Andover in 1920 and lived at 46 Salem St.
The property was purchased by Edward John Tallas Pritchard on Oct. 2, 1917. Edward was b. July 5, 1865 in Birmingham, England and immigrated to America in 1887 settling in Philadelphia, PA. Edward worked for the Prudential Life Insurance Co. later becoming a Superintendent. Edward married in 1888 in Philadelphia to Alice Hannah Drinkwater b. Aug. 1869 in England. They would have four children; Lillian Alice b. Cot. 17, 1889, Herbert Edward b. July 2, 1892, Mabel C. b. Sept. 1895 and Edith F. b. Nov. 1898. Alice died on Sept. 10, 1903 in Drexall Hill, PA.
Edward remarried on Nov. 2, 1904 in Philadelphia to Flora Etta “Nettie” Lord b. Feb. 13, 1874 in West Brooksville, Maine. There would be four children from their union; Nettie Dorothy and Ruth Ada twins b. Aug. 1, 1905, Edward Lord b. Aug. 18, 1906 all in PA and Robert Tallas b. Feb. 22, 1918 in Andover.
Edward worked in Lawrence when they moved to Andover. Nettie and Ruth attended Abbot Academy and Nettie graduated from Punchard High in 1924. Her broth Edward graduated PHS in 1925. Robert graduated from Northeastern University Boston in 1940. Edward’s sister Ada E. Haywood b. 1866 in England live with them in Andover. Edward Sr. retired IN 1933 and they went to Coral Gables FL. Edward died on Jan. 13, 1935 just two weeks after they arrived.
Marcia Dana Eastham, wife of James S. purchased the house on Dec. 11, 1934 and held for seven years selling to James & Margaret A. Edgar on Feb. 12, 1941.James & Margaret A. Edgar on Feb. 12, 1941.
Assessors list: 1920 Edward & Nellie Pritchard - house, garage + 16,629 sq. ft.
1918-19 directory: Edward is a supt. in Lawrence, Edith Prichard, a stenographer boards with Ed & Nellie
Not in 1916 street list
Not in 1910 assessors list
1906: empty land of Phillips Academy
Addition: 1997-8 - builder: Joe Jameson, Methuen; architect Larry Reeves, 79 Highland St., Marlborough MA 01752
1998 Pres. Award - sympathatic addition 508 460-0144
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Theological Seminary - land lot #2
Mabel J. Trott, hus. Emery E. Trott - Mar. 5, 1914 - b. 339 p. 511
Edward J. Pritchard - Oct. 2, 1917 - b. 381 p. 183 & 184
James B. Ewart -- Apr. 2, 1919 - b. 397 p. 93 - deed transfer
Edward J. & Nettie L. Pritchard - Apr. 2, 1919 - b. 397 p. 94
Marcia Dana Eastham, hus. James S. - Dec. 11, 1934 - b. 584 p. 137
James & Margaret A. Edgar - Feb. 12, 1941 - b. 638 p. 72
F. Gordon Edgar - June 2, 1986 - b. 2207 p. 135
F. Gordon Edgar & James Edgar - May 13, 1987 - b. 2492 p. 266
Warren J. & Joya A. Sideri - Aug. 10, 1989 - b. 2988 p. 280
James S. Krzywicki & Debra L. Scannell - Mar. 20, 1992 - b. 3424 p. 189
Debra L. Scannell - Mar. 2, 2006 - b. 10060 p. 329
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Trott - Pritchard House|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||stone garage in rear|
|Major Alterations||addition 1997-8|
|Acreage||16,629 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||40-90|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||04/01/2006, 4/5/2015, 12/10/2021|