Mill Housing tenement
The land along Stevens Street was once large pasture and meadow and extended to Abraham Marland’s homestead estate at 29-33 Shawsheen Rd. Marland established a cotton mill in 1807 on the Shawsheen River at Abbott Village which continued until 1811 when he began production of woolen goods. In 1821 “Marland leased from Peter C. Brooks of Boston a mill privilege on the Shawsheen, together with new buildings erected on the site of what had been a powder mill. This is now known as Marland Village.
The buildings, which were leased for a term of twenty years, comprised a brick mill, the oldest of the present buildings, and a row of brick tenement houses.”
In 1828 Marland bought the entire property, his purchased including the mill privilege, old paper and grist mills, and thirty acres of Land. In 1834 the business was organized under the name Marland Manufacturing Company. Abraham Marland was the president until his death on Feb. 20, 1849.
Nathan Frye succeeded Marland as the company president from 1849-1879.
The company defaulted on an 1873 loan from the Andover Savings Bank and the mill was sold at auction to Moses T. Stevens on North Andover in 1879. Stevens began improvements at the mill in 1884 relocating the road, building a causeway across the mill pond, a new bridge, and operative housing on North Main Street and Stevens Street.
August 8, 1884 AA pg2 col 7 Article on Marland Village, new tenements and new road and bridge.
In 1896 the Marland Mill operation employed 200 operatives and manufactured 875,000 lbs. of wool yearly. In 1902 the company was now M. T. Stevens & Sons, Co. and later became known as J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. When the purchased the Marland Manufacturing Company, the property included the tenement housing on Marland Street, later renamed Stevens Street in 1904. In 1953 the Stevens Co. divested itself of all its housing stock in Marland Village which was then subdivided into separate parcels and sold to public residents.
In 1943 Arthur R. & Emma M. McKee were renting from the Stevens Co. Arthur is a watchman at the Marland Mill.
Lewis & Alice F. Meuse purchased the property on May 15, 1953 from J. P. Stevens & Co. They owned for six years then sold to Joseph L. & Anita D. Poirier on Mar. 5, 1959. Joseph was a sheet metal worker and Anita an operative.
Poirier sold nine years later to Alexander & Margaret Thomson Jr. on Feb. 15, 1968. The Thomson family were long term owners for 35 years. Alex is listed as a steam fitter in 1971 and Margaret a housewife. They sold to Mark Pinto on Jan. 29, 2003 Pinto & Olga Kouznetsova owned jointly until selling to Stella M. Nascimento on June 28, 2009.
1912 photo business Marland Mills
1906 atlas #29 MT Stevens and Sons, no projecting porch
1884 and 1888 not there either
1872 not on Stevens/Marland Street
1900 tax list house #29 Marland $600, (Stevens), #27 Marland $500, Brick #55-#57 $1200
1890 tax list #23 $600
1880 tax list #23 - wooden house $750
#25 - wooden house $600
Marland Mfg. Co. 2 wooden houses $600
1870 tax list or 5 wooden houses & two blocks $6600
1860 tax list 5 wooden houses & 1 block $6400
1850 tax list 5 wooden houses on Turnpike
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser AA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Business History of Andover, 1896 Anniversary Souvenir.
Andover Historical Society files.
Andover Valuation and directories
Peter C. Brooks
Abraham Marland – 1828 - Feb. 20, 1849
Nathan Frye – Feb. 1849 - July 19, 1879
Moses T. Stevens Co. July 19, 1879 – b. 56 p. 482
M. T. Stevens & Sons Co. – Sept. 1, 1902 – b. 197 p. 180
J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. – after 1946
Lewis & Alice F. Meuse - May 15, 1953 - b. 776 p. 293
Joseph L. & Anita D. Poirier - Mar. 5, 1959 - b. 889 p. 393
Alexander & Margaret Thomson Jr. - Feb. 15, 1968 - b. 1101 p. 105
Mark Pinto - Jan. 29, 2003 - b. 7481 p. 2
Mark Pinto & Olga Kouznetsova - Jan. 29, 2003 - b. 7481 p. 31
Mark Pinto - May 21, 2003 - B. 7833 p. 277
Mark Pinto & Olga Kouznetsova - May 27, 2003 - b. 7833 p. 315
Stella M. Nascimento - June 28, 2009 - b. 10263 p. 4
Wells Fargo Bank, NA - b. 12108 p. 74
Rock Valley Realty LLC - Feb. 11, 2011 - b. 12418 p. 314
Michael Ellis & Vitalija Trocki-Alipovaite - Aug. 26, 2011 - b. 12594 p. 32
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Thomson House|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||circa 1850|
|Map and parcel||54-118|
|Recorded by||Alex Thomson, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/2014|