Considered Colonial Revival - or Dutch Colonial, a popular variation form characterized by a gambrel roof, with four roof planes rather than the usual two of a gable roof. In this case, which is typical, a large shed dormer creates spaces for the second floor windows. These houses were built from the 1920-1940s.
Wolcott Avenue was laid out in March 1902 by engineer John E. Smith Map #96. It is said to have been named for Governor Roger Wolcott former Lt. Governor 1893-1897 and then Gov. from 1897-1900. The street had 29 house lots and was a portion of the 25 acre Samuel B. Locke estate at 70 Elm St. The farm extended down to Maple Ave and was bounded by Walnut and Elm Streets. Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B., held the deed on Apr. 12, 1876. Anne sold off some of the first lots on the Ave before naming her daughter Florence M. Locke her Trustee on June 2, 1909. Florence then had charge of selling the remaining house lots. Annie and Florence had life tenancy in the Locke homestead at 70 Elm St.
All the deeds came with restrictions. Only one home per lot, either single or a two family. The home had to cost at least $3000 above the foundation. The cost was later raised to $3500. A set back of 30’ from the street and all garages in the rear of the property. By the 1920’s they restricted one story bungalows.
Wolcott Ave has a diverse mix of styles including modified Queen Anne, Shingle style craftsman, Bungalow craftsman, Four Square, Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial homes.
This parcel "lot #13 was sold by Florence M. Locke, Trustee to William H. Simpson, wife Adelaide J. on July 21, 1923, The deed then went to Gertrude E. Simpson on June 26, 1923. Gertrude then sold to Malcolm B. McTernan who lived next door at 27 Wolcott on Oct. 30, 1923. McTernan then took off a 5 ft. strip of the lot and annexed it to his property.
Walter F. Lillis then purchased the property at 29 Wolcott on Apr. 17, 1925. During the Depression Walter transferred the property to both himself and his wife Beatrice C. Lillis on July 28, 1932. In the 1943 Directory Walter is listed as the Assistant Treasurer of the Essex Savings Bank in Lawrence.
Beatrice C. Lillis died on Feb. 29, 1956. Walter would remain in his home another seven years selling to Clifton R. Harrison and Philip F. Danforth on Nov. 7, 1963.
29 Wolcott – 38-202 - Lot 13 - 0.202 acre – 8800 sq. ft.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plans #96 - Sam. B. Locke Estate - Mar. 25, 1902
Samuel B. Locke - Nov. 1, 1861 - b. 629 leaf 251
Charles O. Cummings - Nov. 16, 1871 - b. 12 p. 282
Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B. - Apr. 12, 1876 - b. 40 p. 37
Florence M. Locke, Trustee - June 2, 1909 - b. 274 p. 489
William H. Simpson, wife Adelaide J. – July 21, 1923 – b. 481 p. 511
Gertrude E. Simpson – June 26, 1923 – b. 481 p. 512 – a part of.
Malcolm B. McTernan, wife Helen – Oct. 30, 1923 – b. 490 p. 476
Walter F. Lillis – Apr. 17, 1925 – b. 511 p. 63
Bertha M. Smith – July 28, 1932 – b. 565 p. 459
Walter F. & Beatrice C. Lillis - July 28, 1932 – b. 565 p. 460
Beatrice C. Lillis estate, Walter F. - d. Feb. 29, 1956 – b. 849 p. 442 probate
Clifton R. Harrison & Philip F. Danforth – Nov. 7, 1963 – b. 998 p. 13
Norman W. & Patricia A. Paris – Jan. 25, 1964 – b. 1002 p. 441
Helen M & Roy F. Dehm – June 7, 1975 – b. 1262 p.337
Roy F. Dehm estate, Helen M. – d. Jan. 7, 2004 – probate
Helen M. Dehm Revocable Trust – Oct. 3, 2016 – b. 14819 p. 219
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Walter F. & Beatrice C. Lillis House|
|Construction Date||1925 - 1926|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Map and parcel||38-202|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 4/23/2018|