NRDIS NRMRA LHD
Style: Greek Rival style
Other features: long shaped tenement house on River Street, Store fronts on Andover Street. Second floor once held Bradlee Hall for functions, lectures and events for the workers and residence of Ballardvale Village.
Themes: Architectural, Community development, Industry
This Greek Revival style building at 205-209 Andover St. and 3-5 River St. is said to have been built about 1840. (1840) first housed the Ballardvale Mills store. John Marland sold three parcels of land to his father Abraham Marland on March 18, 1848 for $20,000. The third lot is referred to as the Store lot "building occupied in part by Wm. A. Dole & CO. as a store together with the lot of land connected therewith situated between Ballard Vale Bridge and Andre B. Stimpson's land." The sale was actually a loan which Abraham Marland's estate would acquire when John became insolvent. Abraham Marland died on Feb. 20, 1849 and his assets were in Trust for his family.
Francis Cogswell, son-in-law and last surviving Trustee sold this property to J. Putnam Bradlee on Dec. 30, 1863.
Under Bradlee's ownership the building featured the store, a lecture and function hall on the second floor called "Bradlee Hall". A small shop selling lamp oil was in the new wing to the rear of the building on the River St. side. J. Putnam Bradlee died on Feb. 28, 1887 and his estate, was administered by William H. Hodgkins Trustee from 1887 to 1905.
Ballard Vale Mills Company purchased many of the Bradlee estate properties on Feb. 6, 1905 this Store building is mentioned in the third parcel of the deed.
The Ballard Vale Co. held the property for 20 years then began divesting much of the residential properties. The Store building was sold to Harry C. Nason on Sept. 20, 1927.
Andover Townsman 9/26/1919 - "The Passing of the Village Grocery Store. - It was with a pang of regret that the few old inhabitants in the vicinity have looked upon the closing of the village grocery store which, like many of its kind, has given place to modern developments.
Memory reaches back to the time when the store was owned by one Mr. Stimpson. Then, in 1864 Felix Haynes and A. L. Williams entered into partnership in the then typical country store. Groceries, dry goods, medicines, shoes, and all nameable accessories were sold there, while the store itself was a rendezvous of young and old. Mr. Williams, however, soon left the firm and Bancroft Haynes entered the store for a period of two years. After that, Felix Haynes conducted the business alone until 1910, when D. H. Poor and J. Riley entered into a partnership which was marked by the installation of many new methods and commodities.
Recently, the doors of this store have been closed by the partners, the old fashioned blinds are shut, and the worn wooden steps are no longer being trodden over by the village folks."
An interview with Mr. George Bruce 1978 "As you come down the hill across the bridge on the right over there is a little apartment house on the corner of River Street. Years ago it was a grocery store owned by Felix Haynes. Later they sold out to Poore and Riley and later sold to Harry Colbath. The store carried groceries, grain, shoes, yard goods, kerosene oil, and about everything you could buy. I bought in that store as a youngster before they had paper bags. You carried home the best way you could"
"His eyes twinkled and a smile spread across his face as he remembered his childhood."
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Poore, Dr. Alfred: "Historical-Genealogical Visitation of Andover, Mass. in year 1863"
Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol. 48-49
Ballardvale Walking Tour, 1988
Estate of Josiah Putnam Bradlee 1889 - Map lot #14
Andover Townsman 9/26/1919 - The Passing of the Village Grocery Store.
Taking Care of Their Heritage - A Compendium of Oral Accounts - 1978 Sean A. Kennan Coordinator, edited by Peter J. Anderson, Andover Public Schools
Poore, Dr. Alfred; " Historical - Genealogical Visitation of Andover, Mass in the Year 1863" Essex Institute Historical Collection vol. 48 - 49
John Marland - 1840's
Abraham Marland - Mar. 18, 1848 - b. 395 leaf 50 - 52 - lot 3 Store lot
Abraham Marland estate, Francis Cogswell Trustee - 1863
J. Putnam Bradlee - Dec. 30, 1863 - b. 660 leaf 72 - "the Store lot" -$2000.
J. Putnam Bradlee estate, William H. Hodgkins Trustee - Feb. 28, 1887
Ballard Vale Mills Company - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 338 (p. 340 third parcel)
Harry C. Nason - Sept. 20, 1927 - b. 535 p. 207
Harry C. & May P. Nason - Aug. 29, 1944 - b. 666 p. 370 (lot 1)
Leslie & Valerie Trombly - Apr. 21, 1958 - b. 871 p. 407
Leslie Trombly estate, heir Valerie Trombly
Richard C. & Linda T. Duarte - Apr. 15, 1993 - b. 3704 p. 304
Duarte Realty Trust, Richard & Linda Duarte Trs. - Oct. 31, 2008 - b. 11362 p. 348
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Ballardvale Mill Store Building - Bradlee Hall|
|Present Use||apartments and business offices|
|Original Use||Mill Store & tenements|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Ballard Vale Mills|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||Conversion into apartments and business, asbestos shingles cover original wood clapboard siding.|
|Acreage||approximate frontage: 90' River Street, 70' Andover Street|
|Map and parcel||139-153|
|Recorded by||N.J. Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 1/3/2017|