Victorian brick commercial
34-36-38-40-42 Main Street and 3 Barnard Street - The Barnard Building -
The “brick” Barnard building was constructed on this corner in 1883 on the site of the former Shed House. This was the second Barnard building on Main Street and was often prefaced with the word “brick” to avoid confusion with their wooden Barnard building formerly across the street at #27-29-31 after its construction. Jacob W. Barnard was a shoe manufacturer who began his business in the old National Bank building #23 about 1856. Moved into # 31 expanding his business. He then purchased the Shed property from the family estate in 1882. The Shed house was turned and moved back on the lot which became 17 Barnard Court, later named a street in 1891. Barnard would later build a new manufacturing building for his business on the Court behind in 1885.
The building has served as home for many businesses since its construction. When originally built the main level included four storefronts on Main Street and one on Barnard Street including a side entrance to the corner store. Changing architectural styles & materials through the decades and with each new tenant, alterations to the original store fronts were made. During the 1940’s black enameled glass panels were applied to the brick above the windows for signage banding with white letters applied. The current lower facade was constructed in the late 1980’s creating a more uniform look. The building is now owned by the Lally II Real Estate Trust but remains connected with the original Barnard family as Patricia Barnard, daughter of W. Shirley Barnard, married Richard W. Lally and inherited the property.
The following Andover Advertiser items speak to the construction.
May 4, 1883 pg. 2 col. 8 - J.W. Barnard is to erect a brick block this season, on Main Street, next south of the town hall. The main building will be 58 feet on Main Street, and running back 35 feet. There will be a one story extension in the rear, 34 feet by 35 feet. It will be arranged for five stores. The contractors for the work will be Messrs. Abbott & Jenkins of this town, and the cellar and brick work are done by Messer’s Chadbourne and Locke of Lawrence. Besides the contractors Messer’s E. N. Hutchinson & Co., and J. A. Couch of Lawrence, and E. O. Stevens of this town, furnished proposals for the wood work, and Moses V. Gleason of this town, estimated for the cellar and brick work. It is expected that the building will be completed in August.
Aug. 10, 1883 pg. 3 col. 2 - Barnard’s block is progressing rapidly.
Nov. 23, 1883 pg. 2 col. 8 - The lower windows in Barnard’s new block are to have plate glass substituted for the German glass now in the sashes. The increased expense by this change will exceed $500.
Dec. 14, 1883 pg. 2 col. 9 -All the five shops and stores in the first story of Barnard’s new brick block are now let and most of them occupied, and the rooms in the second story are all engaged when completed.
Dec. 21, 1883 pg. 3 J. E. Whiting – moves to Barnard block – has been in town 16 years.
March 13, 1885 pg. 2, col. 9 - J. W. Barnard will soon erect a two story building on his vacant lot, south side of town hall. It will be occupied by Mr. Barnard for his own business purpose.
May 29, 1885 pg. 2 col. 6 - E. Gile and Son have commenced laying brick on Barnard’s new building, south of the town house
Sept. 18, 1885 pg. 2, col. 9 - J. W. Barnard has removed to his business block just finished, on the south side of the town hall. His office is finely fitted up with new furniture.
May 31, 1907 pg. 1 - The store occupied by J. E. Whiting will have more room and better light by the transposition of the Barnard Street entrance into a large window, Hardy & Cole do the work.
Aug. 4, 1922 Blackshaw Jewelry Store purchased by Albert F. Rivard of Taunton – John D. Blackshaw purchased from the former J. E. Whiting store run by his son F. E. Whiting 4 years ago.
Site Historical information.
Jacob Shed purchased the property from Mark Newman in 1818. The house faced Main Street on the new Essex Turnpike which was constructed in 1806. The Town House was built on the adjoining lot to the north in 1856 after Andover & North Andover were divided into separate towns in 1855. Jacob Shed died in 1850 and his wife in 18__. Jacob’s will divides the property between Helen C. Rea, wife of Charles P. Rea and Anna M. Mayberry, wife of Charles P. Mayberry. Both Helen & Anna were the daughters of Hannah L. Brown. Jacob Barnard purchased the property on May 16, 1882 for $4100 which included about 31,340 square feet of land. The Shed house was moved and turned to face north on Barnard St. facing the new Fire house built in 1882-3 behind the Town House. #17 & #19 Barnard Street became a two family home and later used as real estate offices until a fire gutted the building in 2007.
Tenants of Barnard Building.
John E. Whiting jeweler moved into the corner storefront in Dec. 1883 from the Swift Building across the street. After John died in 1916 his son Frank E. continued until his death in 1918. The 51 year old business was purchased by John E. Blackshaw who sold to A. F. Rivard on August 1, 1922. Later owners include George Homer, Dino Artigiani and Walter Billings. W. Shirley Barnard Insurance Co., the owner of the building, moved his business into the corner store in 1941 now occupied by Beauty Soulotions. #36 contained part of the Jewelry stores but was later returned to a single store front. The Christian Science Reading Room no occupies the space. At #42 Louis J. Bacigalupo opened a market in July 1896. The Metropolitan Bakery from 1908-1919? then Thiras Brothers market, Hood’s Creamery in the 1930’s followed by Evergood Food Market which continued into the 1960’s, Andover Optical is now at this location. At #40 Charles A. Hill & Co. electrical contractors purchased the business from Edward Manning and was here until March 30, 1920. Anticipation Maternity Boutique opened in the 1980’s now the Main Street Salon. Professional offices and apartments occupied the upper floor.
May 1896 Barnard Building decorated for the Andover 250th Anniversary Celebration.
J. E. Whiting Jewelry & watch repair store on the right designed a special pin which became the official logo for the event. The design would become the town seal in 1904.
Former tenants and businesses:
Nest (2012), 3 Barnard Street
Carina & Company (2005)
Sandpiper Shop (1972/2005)
Curly Top Beauty Shop 1953
W. J. Reynolds, shoe repair (1930)
Ladies Hat Shop (1924)
Nellie Severance, lunch, 3 Barnard (1916)
Russell & Wilson, 3 Barnard, Painters & Paper Hangers (1903)
Ira Buxton, sporting goods, electrical supplies (locks and electric bells repair), 3 Barnard (1880-1908) “successor to May & Buxton
1896 - Laundry
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Directories: 1963, 1943, 1932, 1926
Maps: 1930, 1906, 1896, 1884, 1872, 1852
Andover Advertiser - pg. 2, col. 8
Main St. (and Beyond) Evolution - Gail Ralston - 2014
Jacob Shed - Nov. 11, 1818 - b. 218 leaf 228 -Salem Deeds
Jacob Shed Estate - Sept. 3, 1850 - probate heirs
Mayberry Trust b. 67 p. 352
Helen C. Rea & Anna M. Mayberry heirs – (married daughters of Hannah L. [Mayberry] Brown)
Jacob W. Barnard - May 16, 1882 - b. 68 p. 13 Shed lot
Henry W. Barnard et alii - May 22, 1937 - b. 608 p. 406
Lally Real Estate Trust - b. 1164 p. 563
Patricia Barnard Lally - Dec. 30, 1971 - b. 1186 p. 621
Richard W. & Patricia Lally - Oct. 2, 1981 - b. 1536 p. 346
Lally II Real Estate Trust - April 23, 2001 - b. 6104 p. 348
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Present Use||Sandpiper Shop|
|Construction Date||May 4. 1883|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Map and parcel||39-28|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, Brian Lee, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1974-1875, 8-1992, 2/24, 2017|