Cape style, one and 1/4 height, Steeply pitched roof, earth basement
Themes: Architectural, community development
Present owner: Loosigian, Suren & Eva 10-26-51 (1977)
Other owner: Melken Loosigian
The date of the house construction is unknown but the Andover maps of 1830 and 1852 indicate a house on this site. Alexander E. Jennings born 1819, and wife Clarissa A. Jennings had the property prior to 1864. On September 14, 1864 Jennings sold the 14 acre property to Samuel Wardman for $650.
Samuel Wardman was born January 3, 1819 and was married to Sophia Clapman. In 1870 the house was valued at $175 and 14 acres $270. The farm stock was valued at $40. In 1880 a shop had been added to the valuation at $100. Their son Thomas Wardman born August 6, 1846, was a POW during the Civil War and died on Dec. 20, 1864 at age 18 just a few months after they had acquired the property. Thomas received a medal. Wife Sophia died on April 22, 1882. Samuel Wardman died December 25, 1884. The estate passed to their children Emily and Samuel Wardman and Susanna Atherly. Emily conveyed the farm to Jabez Wardman & Eliza A. Emerson as joint tenants on October 17, 1890. Jabez died December 13, 1913 and Eliza A. Wardman sold the farm to Richard A. Ward in 1924. Eliza died Nov. 20, 1928. The Wardman and Jennings families are buried at West Parish Garden Cemetery.
The Blanchard Street property changed hands three times in three years before being purchased by the Loosigian family on March 29, 1927. Melkon & Almas Loosigian were from Armenia and settled in West Andover along with several other Armenian families who had come to America to escape the genocide in their country. The Loosigian family owned the home for 84 years. The Town of Andover purchased the property in March 2011 as part of a larger parcel to the rear. The town then developed the site into play fields, for baseball and soccer.
1906 Atlas, pl 21 Wardman Estate, 2 dwellings, one on each side of the road
1888 Map Heirs S. Wardman 2 dwellings on north side
1872 Map S. Wardman (Harrington next)
1852 Map house no name (J. S. Bates on Osgood)
1830 Map House no name
Tax Evaluation Research
1870 tax evaluation Samuel Wardman house value $175, 14 a. land value $270, farm stock value $40.
1880 tax evaluation Samuel Wardman, house $50, Shop$199, 14 a. Land $250.
1890 tax evaluation Estate of Samuel Wardman, house $100, 14 a. Land $300.
1900 tax evaluation estate of Samuel Wardman, house and shed Osgood $250, land Osgood $300.
1888 no S. Wardman
1891 no S. Wardman
1927 Melkin Lossigian bought property
1930 street list - across the street - Osgood precinct 2, Nishan Asoian, 53 yrs, farmer, Blanchard St.; Almas Asoian, 48 yrs, housewife, Blanchard St.
1941 street list - across the street - Alma Asoian, 61, housewife; Asa Asoian, 28, operative; Higus Asoian, 27, store clerk
1951 Asoians still on Osgood, Blanchard St. Loosigian, Eva 36 housewife; Loosigian, Kasar 73 farmer; Loosigian, Mary 63 housewife; Lossigian, Melkon 81 farmer; Loosigian Suren 36 farming
674:161 1864, Sept 17, Samuel Wardman from Alexander E. Jennings $650, land 14 a., same as 416:236
Aug. 7, 1849 from John Harris of Lowell for $450 to Jennings of Camb. Land 14a. bounded by Knowles, Grantee 1840's John Harris
Building marker 1993
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Noorthern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Alexander E. Jennings
Samuel Wardman - Sept. 14, 1864 - b. 674 lf. 161 Salem Deeds
Samuel Wardman estate
Jabez Wardman & Eliza A. Emerson - Oct. 17, 1890 - b. 110 p. 191 14 Acres
Richard A. Ward - July 15, 1924 - b. 502 p. 80
Joseph & Delvina Fugere - June 8, 1925 - b. 512 p. 105
Paul A. Ward b. 519 p. 250 lot # 2 on Osgood Street
George O. Moulton - Jan. 26, 1926 - b. 525 p. 396 14 acres - lot # 1
Melkon & Almas Loosigian - Mar. 29, 1927 - b. 530 p. 583
Eva & Suren Loosigian - Oct. 24, 1951 - b. 756 p. 479
Loosigian Realty Trust, Wayne L. Loosigian trustee - June 16, 1999 - b. 5471 p. 243
Excluding property conveyed to Armand H. & B. Sandra Garabedian on Nov. 1, 1973 b. 1230 p. 754 – lot #1 on plan #6939
Laurie Fitts Loosigian Realty Trus. - Feb. 5, 2009 - b. 11456 p 11
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - March 31, 2011 - b. 12448 p. 138
|Place||Osgood District - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Construction Date||1820 - 1830|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||shop razed 1974 House & garage razed 2013|
|Demolition Details||2013 razed by Town of Andover. Now site of new playing fields|
|Acreage||1.084 acre, 47,210 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 200'|
|Map and parcel||199-7|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/2013|