Two family duplex home, gable roof
3 Buxton Court - James Callahan House
Lewis Street & Buxton Court were planned about 1893-5 by Lewis T. Hardy and Joseph Cole, partners in the firm of Hardy and Cole 1874-1915. The property was the former Major Joseph Low estate at 80 (70) North Main Street purchased on June 30, 1892 from Mary Ann Low and the remaining heirs of the property.
Hardy & Cole divided up the Low estate property creating parcels to the north of the house on No. Main St. and the new road and court to the south and west.
Lewis St. names for Lewis Titus Hardy and Buxton Court after Ira Buxton. Buxton was the first to build a home on the Court in 1898. He was a carpenter for Hardy & Cole at that time.
#3 Lewis Street was the first home constructed by Hardy & Cole, and then purchased by Abby Stimson on November 20, 1897. Annie M. McMillan purchased the first lot on Buxton Ct. at #3 on June 20, 1897. Ira Buxton followed in November 12, 1897 with lot #5. Buxton Court was sometimes referred to as Lewis Court and “Tyrian Way” in deeds.
Most of the homes in this neighborhood were constructed as two family duplexes and for the most part owner occupied with the second units used as rental income. The majority of the residents were operatives in the nearby businesses of the Tyer Rubber Company, Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. and Marland Mills of the J.P. Stevens Company.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Major Joseph Low - 1820 - December 10, 1853
Sarah (Wood) Low - Dec. 1853 - Nov. 12, 1872
Lucy & Emily Low - June 3, 1873 - March 10, 1892
Hardy & Cole - June 30, 1892 - bk. 119 pg. 406 - Major Joseph Low Estate
Annie M. McMillan - July 20, 1897 - bk. 156 pg. 246 - land
James Callahan - June 8, 1906 - bk. 233 pg. 27 - Feb. 24, 1912 - bk. 314 pg. 152 mortgage Lawrence Savings Bank
Josephine E. Daly - March 2, 1914 - bk. 339 pg. 437
Elizabeth Donaldson - April 30, 1920 - bk. 421 pg. 537-8
Willard E. Newcomb Jr. - Dec. 16, 1944 - bk. 670 pg. 402
James & Margaret McDonald Oct. 9, 1945 - bk. 678 pg. 425-6
Mary Jane Doyle - July 13, 1985bk. 2004 pg. - 56
Albert & Barbara Maza - Nov. 30, 1990 - bk. 3192 pg 348
Barbara Mazza - bk. 4939 pg. 12 - Dec. 31, 1998
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||James Callahan House|
|Architect/Builder||Hardy & Cole builders|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards/Aluminum & asbestos covered|
|Map and parcel||38-23|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 2014|