Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. . All the streets in Shawsheen Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Carisbrooke St. takes its name from Carisbrooke Castle, Newport, Isle of Wight, England. An Elizabethan artillery fortress, Charles I was imprisoned here before his execution. It is also a Royal summer residence.
Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. The town of Andover purchased land from York Street to the Boston and Maine Railroad for the use of a Town Farm or Alms House in 1807.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Many streets in the village have a variety of different homes by different architects. Arundel Street is unique in that one architect is responsible for nearly every home on the street
A walk down Carisbrooke Street does not disappoint. Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises add to the “icing on the cake, of the maintained original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors and some have garages to the rear. Many have enclosed the open porches for additional rooms on the interiors. The wide street and mature landscape add to the charm of the neighborhood.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Fred W. & Fannie A. Blanchard. Fred was an accountant with the American Woolen Company.
This house was sold to Maude James Hall, wife of Byron Hall on Oct. 14, 1932. Byron was a general agent for the Boston & Maine Railroad. The deed was placed in both names on Oct. 26, 1935. The Halls owned for 34 years then sold to Thomas M. & Carlenee E. Darby on June 12, 1967, The Darbys stayed two years, moving to Lupine Rd. and selling to C. Frederick & Eleanor L. Rossbach on May 22, 1969.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #27
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 14th parcel
Maude James Hall - Oct. 14, 1932 - b. 567 p. 12
Marvette Dresser - Oct. 26, 1935 - b. 594 p. 142 - deed transfer
Byron C. & Maude James Hall - Oct. 26, 1935 - b. 594 p. 143
Maude James Hall estate, Byron C. Hall
Thomas M. & Carlenee E. Darby - June 12, 1967 - b. 1085 p. 171
C. Frederick & Eleanor L. Rossbach - May 22, 1969 - b. 1131 p. 42
Robert D. & Carolyn K. Collins - July 8, 1987 - b. 2542 p. 56
Thomas M. & Laura D. Jordan - Mar. 20, 1991 - b. 3260 p. 304
Peter J. Divincenzo - June 11, 1997 - b. 4776 p. 94
Sean B. Thomann - July 1, 2011 - b. 12536 p. 217
Sean B. & Katelyn Thomann - Nov. 17, 2011 - b. 12700 p. 349
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Byron & Maude J. Hall House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Patten - Architect|
|Roof||hip - slate|
|Major Alterations||Enclosed porch|
|Map and parcel||36-39|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/17/2015|