Nine room, five bed room, two family home
3 Lewis Street – Stimson – Maclaren House
Lewis Street was constructed in 1895 as an access route to the railroad by Hardy and Cole. Lots for single and duplex homes were laid out along the north side of the street. Henry G. Tyer built his plant on the southern side of the Low estate in 1856. Tyer invented the process of making clear white rubber goods used for the medical industry. This plant manufactured his new patented shoe called the “Compo”. Lewis Street was laid out on the southern boundary of the Low property.
This new neighborhood was an ideal location for workers in the village to walk to work and its close proximity to the Main Street business center. Lewis Street & Buxton Court were planned about 1893-5 by Lewis T. Hardy and Joseph Cole, partners in the firm of Hardy and Cole 1874-1915. The property was the former Major Joseph Low estate at 80 (70) North Main Street purchased on June 30, 1892 from Mary Ann Low and the remaining heirs of the property.
Hardy & Cole divided up the Low property creating parcels to the north of the house on No. Main St. and the new road and court to the south and west.
Lewis St. was named for Lewis Titus Hardy and Buxton Court after Ira Buxton. Buxton Court was sometimes referred to as Lewis Court and “Tyrian Way”
Number 3 Lewis Street was the first home constructed by Hardy & Cole and then purchased by Abby Stimson on November 20, 1897. Annie M. McMillan purchased the first lot on Buxton Ct. at #3 on June 20, 1897. Ira Buxton followed in November 12, 1897 with lot #5. Buxton was the first to build a home on the Court in 1898. He was a carpenter for Hardy & Cole at that time.
Most of the homes in this neighborhood were constructed as two family duplexes and for the most part owner occupied with the second units used as rental income. The majority of the residents were operatives in the nearby businesses of the Tyer Rubber Company, Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. and Marland Mills of the J.P. Stevens Company.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Major Joseph Low - 1820 - December 10, 1853
Sarah (Wood) Low - Dec. 1853 - Nov. 12, 1872
Lucy & Emily Low - June 3, 1873 - March 10, 1892
Hardy & Cole - June 30, 1892 - bk. 119 pg. 406 Major Joseph Low Estate
Abby Stimson - Nov. 20, 1897 - bk. 159 pg 326-7 - land & buildings
Andover Savings Bank - Nov. 5, 1898 - bk. 165 pg. 198 – possession
Alexander Baker - Nov. 5, 1898 - bk. 165 pg 199-200 - $1500.
Alexander Baker dies Dec. 1905 - Probated by Barnett Rogers
Mary A. Baker - Jan. 27, 1906 - bk. 228 pg. 536-38
John E. Murphy - Jan. 27, 1906 - bk. 228 pg. 537 - $1700
John E. & Fannie L. Murphy - March 14, 1911 - bk. 302 pg. 161
Fannie L. Murphy - March 14, 1911 - bk. 302 pg. 162
Edward J. French April 20, 1915 - bk. 352 pg. 241
Archibald D. Maclaren - April 4, 1923 - bk. 475 pg. 79
A.D. & Margaret Maclaren - March 27, 1931 - bk. 557 pg. 191-2 et. ux.
Margaret Maclaren estate - Probate # 331878
Maclaren Heirs,Robert, Archibald Maclaren Jr. & Isabelle W. Gorrie - March 27, 1931 - bk. 557 pg. 191-92
Archibald D. Maclaren Jr. - Jan. 12, 1977 -bk. 1302 pg. 473 - $19,000
Jean F. Fletcher / Charles Bryce Jr. -Nov. 6, 1985 - bk. 2076 pg.103
Lewis Street Realty Trust - Nov. 1, 1988 - bk. 2964 pg. 275
Charles H. Bryce Sr./ Charles H. Bryce Jr.. bk. 2964/275
Co- Trustees of Lewis St. Trust
James Fennelly - Sept. 1, 1993 - bk. 3824 pg. 3
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Stimson - McClaren House|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Hardy & Cole builders|
|Map and parcel||38-25|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 2014|