NRDIS NRMRA, curved bay at front with lead glass, large stained glass staircase window at side.
Themes - Architectural and Community Development
Apartments ca 1915 to present
Punchard Avenue was once called Universalists Court in 1829, when young James Cochrane began apprenticeship here on site of #3 Punchard Ave. Cochrane later of "Cochrane Farm", #5 Punchard, where "everyone went for fresh milk." Jenkins, writing of Main Street in 1853: "next was Merrill Pettingill's blacksmith shop, later J.H. Cochrane's shop, still later, home of Capt. Joshua Ballard" (#1 now).
Site of old blacksmith shop of Sam Pettingill, moved here in 1880's and razed in 1892.
March 25, 1892 AT - p.1 C. A. Booth, who now resides on Bartlet Street has purchased of James Cochrane the lot of land occupied by the old blacksmith shop on Punchard Ave. He will have a house erected there.
Apr. 1, 1892 AT p.1 – The clanging of the anvil and the music of the blacksmith's hammer will probably never be heard again on Punchard Avenue; certainly not in the old shop which ad become almost a landmark, in its many years of occupancy by blacksmith Cochrane. But a dwelling house demands the site and the old shop has been torn down the past week, and soon a more modern building will probably stand where the “Old Blacksmith Shop” has stood for so many years.
Sept. 2, 1892 AT – C. B. Mason has the contract to build the new residence for Mr. C. A. Booth on Punchard Ave. W. P. Reagan is the architect.
Oct. 7, 1892 - Contractor C. B. Mason has begun work on the new residence for C. A. Booth on Punchard Ave.
Nov. 22, 1895 AT Obit. p 5 – The death of James H. Cochrane
Nov. 29, 1895 AT Funeral services for James H. Cochrane were held at his home on Punchard Ave. Sunday afternoon. A large number of friends and neighbors gathered to pay last homage to a good citizen. Rev. W. E. Gibbs of the Unilateralist Church, Lawrence conducted a very impressive funeral service. Remains placed in tomb at Spring Grove – burial in the spring at South Cemetery.
1900 - Alveh Booth resident. William Madison Wood, Pres. American Woolen Co. , owned and rented to Dr. Clark.
Winslow Knowles another resident.
Andover Historical Society files (Jenkins, William, "Changes on Main Street in Sixty Years" written in 1913)
Andover Townsman, April 1, 1892
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Samuel Abbott & Willam Abbott of Charlestown, MA
James H. Cochrane - May 27, 1845 - b. 358 leaf 178 - $585. - 2 acres 148 rods
Charles A. & Adah J. Booth - Apr. 13, 1892 - b. 118 p. 89 with deed restrictions
William M. Wood - Feb. 16, 1899 b. 167 p. 371
Wm. H. Dwelly Jr. - Sept. 12, 1899 - b. 172 p. 132 deed transfer
Ellen A. Wood - - Sept. 12, 1899 - b. 172 p. 133
Willard A. Currier - May 15, 1908 - b. 260 p. 459 deed transfer
William M. Wood - May 15, 1908 - b. 260 p. 460
Winslow Lewis Knowles - Apr. 5, 1909 - b. 271 p. 390
Fred E. Cheever - May 1, 1956 - b. 834 p. 1
C. Lincoln Giles - Dec. 14, 1956 - b. 847 p. 154
Karl C. & Geneva A. Killorin - Jan. 16, 1963 b. 978 p. 180
Donald I. & Barbara Richmond - Apr. 10, 1970 - b. 1151 p. 4
ARCO Properties LLC - Richmond - June 26, 2007 - b. 10810 p. 155
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Charles Booth House|
|Present Use||residence - 5 apartments|
|Source||AHS, style, njs, ENRDL|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Wm P. Reagan - Charles B. Mason|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards and shingles|
|Major Alterations||Front porch removed at some date not known, remodeled from single family to apartments. remodeled second floor, Chimney on west side removed about 2000|
|Acreage||less than one acre, 9,510 sq. ft. and 57' frontage|
|Map and parcel||39-72|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 3/2014|