NRDIS NRDIS - Federal Period
It is difficult to see the Federal period style, as the current replacement windows have reduced the size of the original openings which were 6 over 6 double hung windows. The front porch entry is an addition to the house when moved to this location during the construction of the Village.
The vinyl siding covers the original wood clapboards.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain.
York Street takes its name from York Minster Cathedral , seat of the Archbishop of York, second highest office in the Church of England. The Gothic Church is one of the largest in Northern Europe. There is also a York Castle, in York, England. A Norman castle built by William I
A walk down York Street will find a mix of the old and new as Wood moved a few older homes in Frye Village to sites on York St. and Balmoral St. Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises add to the “icing on the cake, of the maintained original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds.
The north end of York St. was once part of the Walter Kaye property, and Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. The Kaye home was moved to 26 Haverhill St. for construction of York St. Some homes nearer the entrance of Brickstone were first built in error on the entrance way to Wood’s Shawsheen Mills. Wood, away on tour in Europe, upon his return, "discovered that an entire street had been laid out and a number of houses erected in the wrong place. "Move those houses and eliminate the street' Wood told George Wallace as he pointed his cane toward the offending site"
Andover Townsman (AT) - May 12, 1922 - The houses on York street extension are all completed, sewers have been put in and at the present time the street and sidewalks are being finished.
This house was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924. The house is one of the survivors of Frye Village and was moved twice. The home was originally built on North Main Street near the "Croft" at #250 and was once owned by Henry Wardwell.
July 2, 1868 – The Henry Wardwell estate on Main St. with 1½ acre auctioned off for $1505. John Dove the purchaser.
July 2, 1869 Andover Advertiser – John Dove buys the Wardwell estate on North Main St. – two story house 1 acre of land for $1505.
July 23, 1880 AA pg 3 - John Henderson is removing the “Wardwell house” from near the residence of George W. W. Dove to the corner in Frye Village, recently purchased of the heirs of the late Moses Nelson, and near the store. When completed, it will greatly improve the village and the removal of the building from its former location, gives a finer view from Mr. Dove’s house.
September 3, 1880 AA pg 3 - John Henderson has completed the house recently removed to the Nelson land.
The Wardwell house was sited on the corner of Lowell St. at 340 North Main St,. facing east and would have been close to the front of the Post Office Building in the current square.
November 24, 1899 AT - John H. Henderson has moved from the Village to his farm in Boxford. His brother-in-law, Mr. Frederickson and family, will occupy the house.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were William & Agnes L. Anderson. William is listed as a tailor at #30, In #32 is Mrs. Sarah Harty. Both are here in 1928. Sarah is listed as Auty not Harty.
This house was sold to Henson H. & Marjory Brown on Sept. 11, 1934. Fred & Alice Lloyd purchased the property on Nov. 25, 1942. Fred was the superintendent of the Arlington Mills in Lawrence. Dennis A & Mary A Hennessy where the next owners on Sept. 27, 1944.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#880 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #20
Mills, Mansions, and Mergers by Edward Roddy, par. 1 pg. 93
Owners; At the York Street location
Fannie S. Smith
Walter A. Kaye - July 7, 1907 - b. 250 p. 315
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of A. W. Co. - Mar. 25, 1916 - b. 362 p. 171
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. - Dec. 30, 1920
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 32th parcel
Henson H. & Marjory Brown - Sept. 11, 1934 - b. 581 p. 71
Fred & Alice Lloyd - Nov. 25, 1942 - b. 655 p. 51
Dennis A & Mary A Hennessy - Sept. 27, 1944 - b. 667 p. 571
Albert L. & Pamela Rae Kerr, Jr. - Dec. 23, 1952 - b. 771 p. 98
Robert A & Nancy E. Fitzgerald - Nov. 13, 1958 - b. 884 p. 314
Nancy E. Fitzgerald estate, Roanne E. Fitzgerald, Extrx. -
Robert A. Fitzgerald, heir 1/2 estate - 1983
Daryl S.Gustafson & Ellen J. O'Connor - July 28, 1983 - b. 1702 pages 19 & 20
Annie V. Martin And Fay M. R. Martin - Apr. 29, 1985 - b. 1964 p. 77
Leonard F. & Doris G. Proposki - May 5, 1987 - b. 2487 p. 110
John J. Raso & Aldine Moretti - Mar. 19, 1996 - b. 4460 p. 69
John J. & Aldine Raso - Nov. 13, 1998 - b. 5244 p. 127
Douglas J. Ahern, Geo. A. Hughes, Glen Sargent - Jan. 6, 2003 - b. 7418 p. 79-81
30 - 32 York Street Condominium - Ahern, Hughes, Sargent - July 30, 2003 - b. 8082 p. 135
26 York St. - Unit 1 - James Cappeta - Sept. 12, 2003 - b. 8244 p. 258
James & Kristina Cappeta - Sept. 12, 2003 - b. 10418 p. 166
Ryan J. & Kristen M. Brousseau - June 15, 2007 - b. 10793 p. 323
Richard A Vanegas - May 29, 2014 - b. 13863 p. 245
28 York St. - Unit 2 - Lisa M. O'Connell - July 31, 2003 - b. 8094 p. 179
Owners at the North Main St. location;
Moses Nelson & George Nelson - Oct. 19, 1865 - b. 692 leaf 78 Salem deed
George A. Nelson by decent form Moses Nelson - brick store lot
Jennet S. Holt - May 17, 1880 - b. 65 p. 126 - brick store lot
John Henderson - May 3, 1880 - b. 89 p. 520 - portion of lot - Wardwell house lot
John Henderson estate, Euphemia Henderson, heir - 1915
Joseph D. Knight - Dec. 20, 1915 - b.365 p. 26
William M. Wood - Dec. 20, 1915 - b. 365 p. 27 - rec. 6/28/1916
Owners at original location
Henry Wardwell Home
John Dove - July 1869 - $1505.
John Henderson - July 1880 buys and moves house
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Wardwell - Henderson House|
|Construction Date||1820 - 1830|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Major Alterations||Condominium conversion 2003 Vinyl siding, replacement vinyl windows|
|Move Details||Summer 1921|
|Map and parcel||35-14|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/21/2015|