Colonial Revival - Cottage style
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home on September 22, 1922 AT - Mr. & Mrs. A. L. West and family have moved to 30 Enmore Street. Archibald & Lillian West were also here in 1928-1929. Archibald was an electrician with the American Woolen Co.
This house was sold to George L. & Ellen F. McCollum on May 12, 1941. George was the Paymaster at the Shawsheen Mill of the AWCo. George & Ellen owned for three years then sold to Ernest & Eleanor M. Turton on July 30, 1944. Turton, a mill worker was living across the street at #41 Enmore in 1943. They owned two years then selling to Frederick J. & Gladys T. Cebula on Apr. 26, 1946. In 1943 Fred was in the US Army during WWII and they were renting the home at #36 Enmore. Frederick b. 1913 was a dye maker. The Cebula family were long term owners of 48 years. They had three children; Mike, Kathryn and Susan.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #9 - 10
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 6th parcel
George L. & Ellen F. McCollum - May 12, 1941 - b. 640 p. 102
Ernest & Eleanor M. Turton - Jule 30, 1944 - b. 665 p. 386
Frederick J. & Gladys T. Cebula - Apr. 26, 1946 - b. 683 p. 344
John F. Tauscher & Mary Ellen T Sparrow - Feb. 18, 1994 - b. 3986 p. 343
Heidi M. Maloney - Nov. 2, 2000 - b. 5910 p. 197
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||McCollum - Cebula House|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Chester A. Patten|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards/asbestos shingle covering|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||asphalt roof shingles replace slate, replacement windows, asbestos shingle siding over original cedar siding.|
|Map and parcel||19-21|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/12/2015|