Style: Colonial Revival - Garrison Colonial
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Riverina Rd however is the exception.
Riverina takes its name from the Australian rich lands where the finest wools in the world are grown and is the name of a large territory in Australia.
It is interesting to note that George M. Wallace, who lived in Aberfoyle, was the private secretary, close friend and confidant of William M. Wood. Wallace was the agent for the Riverina Mills, in Medford, MA from 1918-1926.It was Wallace’s suggestion to Wm. Wood that the waste wool of the company’s mills could be reclaimed for the manufacturing of carpets. The Riverina Mill was extremely successful under his direction.
The entrance to Riverina Rd from Haverhill St. was once the site of the Smith & Dove Mill, the first mill in the country built for the production of linen threads from flax.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 - 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Clifford Allbright was the designer of every home built on Riverina St. during this period. Homes were leased or sold through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 was Andrew Duncan a clerk at the American Woolen Company.
This house was sold to Phillip A. & Dorcus C. Costello on June 26, 1942. Phillip was a Government investigator with the O.P. A. Costello sold after five years to John G. & Theresa C. Barry on Nov. 3, 1947. The Barry continue as owners of record in 2015 at 68 years. John G. Barry b. 1899 was a salesman broker. Theresa Barry b. 1898 was a housewife. In March 1974 the Barry's sold the property to their son John G. Barry Jr. The deed held a life estate for both parents.
Brian R. Barry & Sharon M. Gettings then purchased the house on June 15, 1994. Sharon M. (Gettings) Barry -is now the owner of record on Mar. 7, 1998.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#880 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #11
Map #2391 - May 1951 - lot 11A
John Smith & Peter Smith – Dec. 29, 1841 –b. 335 leaf 99
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. – July 1, 1864 - b. 677 leaf 259 Salem deed
Robert Braisford, General Degreasing Co. – July 21, 1902 – b. 197 p. 32
Beacon Trust Company. – Dec. 23, 1904 – b. 217 p. 80
Daniel C. Smith –Mar. 28, 1909 – b. 258 p. 446
Arlington National Bank – June 11, 1909 – b. 274 p. 565
James E. McGovern – July 17, 1909 – b. 275 p. 400 – mgt sale
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of A. W. Co. – Aug. 14, 1909 - b. 277 p. 310
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. - Dec. 30, 1920 -435 p. 215 parcel 1
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 30th parcel
Phillip A. & Dorcus C. Costello - June 26, 1942 - b. 651 p. 294
John G. & Theresa C. Barry - Nov. 3, 1947 - b. 704 p. 99
John G. Barry Jr. - March 25, 1974 - b. 1238 p. 199
Brian R. Barry & Sharon M. Gettings - June 15, 1994 - b. 4065 p. 1
Sharon M. (Gettings) Barry - Mar. 7, 1998 - b. 4993 p. 2
Map #2391 - lot 11A
Textile Realty Co. - Ink Shop lot - 3.88 acres
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co - Oct. 30, 1937 - b. 611 p. 177 - parcel 2
John G. & Theresa C. Barry - June 18, 1951 - b. 751 p. 238
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Costello - Barry House|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards/asbestos shingle covering|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Major Alterations||Rear addition, asbestos clapboard covering over original siding, front porch roof replaced with gable.|
|Map and parcel||52-16|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||5 Jun 1991, 7/25/2015|