This home would be listed as a Colonial Revival home built from about 1905 - 1915 and is known as the "American Four-Square" The boxy form with hip roof above wide eaves and including one eye brow dormer here, is derived from early prairie house designs of Frank Lloyd Wright. The Four Square has been adapted to many different forms from Classical style to minimal design elements. “Variations on a theme” to suit the owners taste and budget.
This home appears to have been altered or enlarged on the second story. Many elements use shingle style craftsman. The handsome arched stonework of the front porch foundation, asymmetrical roof gable, wrap- around porch and cedar shingle cladding add texture.
Wolcott Avenue was laid out in March 1902 by engineer John E. Smith Map #96. It is said to have been named for Governor Roger Wolcott former Lt. Governor 1893-1897 and then Gov. from 1897-1900. The street had 29 house lots and was a portion of the 25 acre Samuel B. Locke estate at 70 Elm St. The farm extended down to Maple Ave and was bounded by Walnut and Elm Streets. Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B., held the deed on Apr. 12, 1876. Anne sold off some of the first lots on the Ave before naming her daughter Florence M. Locke her Trustee on June 2, 1909. Florence then had charge of selling the remaining house lots. Annie and Florence had life tenancy in the Locke homestead at 70 Elm St.
All the deeds came with restrictions, only one home per lot, either single or a two family. The home had to cost at least $3000 above the foundation. The cost was later raised to $3500. A set back of 30’ from the street and all garages in the rear of the property. By the 1920’s they restricted one story bungalows.
Wolcott Ave has a diverse mix of styles including modified Queen Anne, Shingle style Craftsman, Bungalow Craftsman, Four Square, Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial homes.
This parcel "lot #16 was sold by Florence M. Locke to Bertha S. Bradford, wife of Roy H. on Dec. 13, 1912. Bertha also purchased lot#17. The Bradfords lived at 138 Main Street so this purchase was an investment property. Lot lines shifted form the original plan #96 laid out by the Locke estate.
Bertha sold lot #16 to Daniel Hilton on on April 2, 1913. Daniel then purchased lot #17 on Apr. 29, 1915. The deed states "with buildings". Edith E. Hilton, wife of Daniel held the property on Apr. 9, 1919 and sold to Ralph E. Hadley, wife Grace F.on Apr. 9, 1919.
The 1920 Andover Valuation Schedule list Ralph E. Hadley - 30 Wolcott Ave, House $4000, 9600 sq. ft. lot 30 Wolcott $1100, 4400 sq. ft. lot 17 $500 = $5600 assessment. Ralph E. Hadley deeded his wife's parents William. E. & Nellie A. Bradbury a portion of lot 17 on Sept. 9, 1919. The 1920 Census has the Hadleys living here and her parents next door at #28 Wolcott.
Ralph Edgar Hadley was born Jan. 8, 1883 in Lawrence, MA son of George H. & Henrietta (McKeen) Hadley. Ralph became a Civil Engineer and married at age 24 on Nov. 20, 1907 in Lawrence, to Grace F. Bradbury b. April 1884 daughter of William E. & Nellie A. (Chapman) Bradbury. They first lived in Lawrence and moved here when they purchased the property. In 1920 Ralph's occupation was Whoelsale groceries business in Lawrence which he continued with until his retirement. Ralph and Grace had two children: Grace B. b. 1913 and George Edwin b. 1917.
The home remained in the Hadley family for 42 years. After Grace F. Hadley's death her son G. Edwin Hadley, the Executor, on Nov. 30, 1960 would sell the property a year later to John L. & Louise A. Chapman on. Nov. 22, 1961.
30 Wolcott – 38-206 – Lot 16 - 0.217 acre – 9350 sq. ft.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plans #96 - Sam. B. Locke Estate - Mar. 25, 1902
Samuel B. Locke - Nov. 1, 1861 - b. 629 leaf 251
Charles O. Cummings - Nov. 16, 1871 - b. 12 p. 282
Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B. - Apr. 12, 1876 - b. 40 p. 37
Florence M. Locke, Trustee - June 2, 1909 - b. 274 p. 489
Bertha S. Bradford, wife of Roy H. – Dec. 13, 1912 – b. 325 p. 182
Dan Hilton – Apr. 2, 1913 – b. 328 p. 490 – lot 16
Dan Hilton – Apr. 29, 1915 – b. 352 p. 197 – lot 17 w/blds
Edith E. Hilton – Apr. 9, 1919 – b. 397 p. 510
Bertha S. Bradford, wife of Roy H. – Apr. 17, 1919 – b. 397 p. 439 codify deed
Ralph E. Hadley to Wm. E. & Nellie A. Bradbury – Sept. 9, 1919 – b. 408 p. 349 lot 17
Ralph E. Hadley, wife Grace F.– Apr. 9, 1919 – b. 397 p. 510
Grace F. & Ralph E. Hadley – Aug. 6, 1958 – b. 877 p. 399
Grace F. Hadley estate, G. Edwin Hadley, Extr. - Nov. 30, 1960 – b. 948 p. 485
John L. & Louise A. Chapman – Nov. 22, 1961 – b. 948 p. 486
James L. & Margaret M. Ramage – Mar. 1, 1976 – b. 1277 p. 112
Julius J. & Barbara P. Zamierowski – Dec. 15, 1983 – b. 1757 p. 308
Gordon W. Nelson & Kathleen M. Nalen-Nelson – May 24, 1994 – b. 4048 p. 250
Kathleen M. Nalen-Nelson – Apr. 24, 1997 – b. 4737 p. 14
Brian M & Michelle M. Gilligan – May 24, 1999 – b. 5442 p. 207
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Ralph E. & Grace F. Hadley House|
|Construction Date||1919 - 1920|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Acreage||0.217 acre – 9350 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||38-206|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 4/24/2018|