Colonial Revival - Dutch Colonial
This Dutch Colonial home with gambrel roof was built by William Madison Wood, President of the American Woolen Company about 1918-1919. The house was constructed in the early stages of the transformation of Frye Village into Wood’s planned neighborhood of Shawsheen Village. Named “Aberfoyle” it was built just north of the Wood estate “Arden” and not far from the former intersection of the old Poor Street and North Main Street. The land was once owned by Mrs. Richardson widow of Warren Richardson. Richardson was the first business partner with John Smith and Joseph Faulkner making machinery for cotton weaving in Frye Village on Haverhill St.
The name Aberfoyle is from a village about 27 miles NW of Glasgow in Stirling, Scotland at the base of Craigmore Mountain. The first occupant of the home was George Milton Wallace and wife Agnes (McAulay) Wallace. The Wallaces were both Scottish immigrants from Glasgow who arrived in Boston in 1909. George Wallace was first hired by Mr. Wood about 1917 as an agent of the American Woolen Company’s “Swift Mills” in West Medford. Wallace later became the overseer for the Riverina Mills in Medford, MA that was outfitted to use waste woolen products to make carpets. Wallace became Mr. Wood’s private secretary and moved to Andover about 1918 although the US census of 1920 still has his family listed as residents of Somerville, MA.
A cement footpath was constructed directly from Arden to Aberfoyle running past the gardens and pond for easy access between both houses. Wallace was a trusted employee and friend to the Wood family. George was an avid sportsman and played soccer “as a young man in the Ashfield, Glasgow Junior League in 1905-06.” He established the Shawsheen Athletic Association, and joined the Industrial Soccer League in 1922. Wallace formed and owned the “Shawsheen Indians” professional soccer team. He was also the driving force in the planning & construction of “Balmoral Field” just across the river from Aberfoyle. The athletic programs and the complex was all financed by William M. Wood. The “Shawsheen Indians” became National Soccer Champions in the 1924-25 season. Wallace owned a retreat house on Haggetts Pond purchased from Mr. Wood in 1918 and named it “Brae Loch”. Agnes was active in the women’s clubs of the village and created a “Current Events Club” which met weekly in her home to discuss national and international events. George & Agnes had three sons, James G. b. 1911, George W. b. 1912 and Duncan Alexander Wallace born at “Aberfoyle” on Feb. 9, 1924.
After the death of William Wood on Feb. 2, 1926, Wallace disbanded his soccer team due in part of the loss of financial backing. The family moved to “Brae Loch” and then to Brookline, MA in 1928. “Brae Loch” remained in the family until 1939 as a summer home and retreat.
After William M. Wood died the “Arden Trust” established by Wood for his children was dissolved and all the holdings sold off.
Andover Townsman - October 8, 1926 p. 8 Shawsheen Villager - “Aberfoyle Is Sold" “Aberfoyle” former home of George M. Wallace, and one of the most attractive estates in Shawsheen, has been purchased by A. B. Sutherland of the A. B. Sutherland company, prominent Lawrence business man.
The property, which is situated on one of the imposing corners in the center of the village, will be a gift of Mr. Sutherland, to his daughter, Miss Isabel Sutherland, whose engagement to William Kurth, son of Dr. & Mrs. G. E. Kurth of East Haverhill street, Lawrence, was announced a few months ago."
Andrew B. Sutherland’s department store on Essex Street in Lawrence specialized in women’s clothing and home furnishings. A. B. Sutherland, also Scottish by birth, was a successful businessman and banker. Andrew & Elizabeth Sutherland transferred the deed to their daughter Isabel B. in February 1927. Isabel’s husband William W. Kurth later became President and treasurer of A.B. Sutherland Co. The Kurths continued to live here until April 1953 when it was purchased by Joseph L. & Rowana Daly. Daly was a wholesale druggist. Dr. William Caverly, a physician, and wife Catherine purchased the home in 1963 and lived here for 30 years. Ronald & Dorothy Hilbink were the current owners of 19 years in 2012. The home was listed for sale in October 2012 and later sold.
Richardson - land
William Madison Wood
Arden Trust - Feb. 9, 1921 - b. 447 pgs. 330-336
Phillips Corporation - Mar. 31, 1926 - b. 520 p. 462
Andrew B. & Elizabeth Sutherland - Oct. 7, 1926 - b. 526 p. 296
Isabel B. Sutherland - Feb. 21, 1927 - b. 530 pg. 25
Isabel S. & William W. Kurth - March 13, 1943 - b. 656 p. 444
Joseph L. & Rowana B. Daly - Apr. 9, 1953 - b. 774 p. 306
Wm. H. & Catherine D. Caverly - May 28, 1963 - b. 986 p. 53
Ronald J. & Dorothy N. Hilbink Oct. 8, 1993 - b. 3857 p. 319
Researched by James S. Batchelder – Andover Preservation Commission June 2013
Andover Townsman & Andover Advertiser
Andover Building Survey Form 1974-1976
Federal Census 1900 - 1940
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds - Lawrence, MA
Ancestry.com - George Wallace family
|Street||North Main St|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Original Use||residence of Wm. M.Wood's secretery Geo. Wallace|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||two car garage|
|Map and parcel||53-5|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Dec. 19, 2013|