The Pearson farmhouse was built at 252 South Main Street and was moved to 305 South Main St. in 2001. The former site is now occupied by the new Phillips Academy hockey complex and campus maintenance facilities.
Pearson Farm - the historical and architectural significance:
The Pearson Farm is recognized by its former inclusion in the Academy Hill National Register Historic District. The Pearson Farm contributed to this district by its location, building complex (dwelling, barn and outbuildings) and surrounding open land (historically 22 1/2 acres).
The Pearson Farm sat prominently on a hilltop off Andover's major 19th century north-south route such that the house, barn and outbuildings depicted a visual landmark for Andover that symbolizes the town's 19th century successful agricultural economy and population.
Architectural History: The dwelling is of late Greek Revival style dating between 1850 and 1870. The largest barn and shed structure, built in the New England style, were continuously modified from 1872. The barn and shed on the north side appear on the tax records in 1900. Important exterior features of the large barn/shed are wooden clapboards and vertical siding, corner boards, narrow and entrance transom, 6/6 double hung windows, gable roof, projecting boxed cornice with short gable returns, stall windows and cupolas.
Owner's History and Use:
Joseph J. Pearson (died 1892) and family built and operated the farm from the 1860's. Phillips Academy acquired the farm circa 1922. However from the time that Phillips Academy and the Andover Theological Seminary were established, a mutual relationship existed between these institutions and local farmers. A 1837 Report on Agriculture in Massachusetts (page 86) states that 50 acre farms are connected with each school (PA and ATS) and their "aim is to obtain milk for our commons and raise potatoes principally." Likewise for "Jo" Pearson as he is described in his obituary as having "experience in the management of house and farm..and serving the professors." Further the 1880 Massachusetts Agricultural Census Schedule 2 lists the Pearson Farm as producing 3450 gallons of milk, 25 bushels of Irish potatoes and 140 bushels of apples, much of which was probably sold to the adjacent schools.
Though the Pearson Farm is no longer active agriculturally, its use as rental, storage and athletic property that does not detract from its visibly historical and architectural significance to the Academy Hill District of Andover. (2001)
Historic Name: Pearson Farmhouse former site now Phillips Academy Grounds Department Office - Shop
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
deeds, assessor's records and PA records
Andover Townsman, August 30, 2001 write up on the move to 305 South Main Street
Map plan #2438 - lot A - Joseph Cartone - Sept. 1952
Joseph & Josephine Catrone - Aug. 27, 1960 - b. 923 p. 157
Edward E. & Theresa M. Gurry - Sept. 9, 1982 - b. 1604 p. 166
Edward G. & Elaine M. Gurry, Jr. - April 1, 1985 - b. 1948 p. 48
Edward G. & Elaine M. Gurry, Jr. - Mar. 10, 1986 - b. 2149 p. 143 - mtg.
Andover Savings Bank - Nov. 9, 1990 - b. 3195 p. 333 mtg. deed
Jerry W. DeJongh - June 18, 1991 - b. 3279 p. 70
305 So. Main St. Nominee Trust, Jerry W. DeJongh - Nov. 17, 1995 - b. 4390 p. 293
David H. Barrett - Apr. 17, 1998 - b. 5027 p. 49
H. B. Development, David H. Barrett - Jan. 5, 2001 - b. 5974 p. 319
David H. Barrett - July 25, 2003 - b. 8073 p. 140
Colin W. & Karen S. Leland - Feb. 16, 2006 - b. 10040 p. 231
Colin W. Leland - May 9, 2011 - b. 12482 p. 257
|Street||South Main St|
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Pearson Farmhouse|
|Original Use||residence - farmhouse|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Moved to this site 2001, Fire in Feb. 2015 caused extensive interior damage. Restoration began in 2016|
|Move Details||August 30, 2001 Andover Townsman|
|Map and parcel||79-29|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 2001, 7/6/2016|