Greek Revival doorway, porch like several other houses of this period in town.
Horace Wilson original owner.
Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Education.
This lot of land and the lot next door at 35 School St. were once owned by Samuel Gray who sold the parcels to Horace Wilson, carpenter on April 23, 1855. Wilson, a carpenter, built this house as well as #35. Wilson look a loan with the Andover Savings Bank on this property in Aug. 1886. Wilson's estate defaulted on the loan and the bank took possession on June 23, 1892.
The bank then sold the property to H. Sanford Leach at auction on June 23, 1893 for $7600. H. Sanford & wife Martha E. were the owners for 25 years. Leach sold to the Trustees of Abbot Academy on June 7, 1917. It is said that Abbot Academy used the home as servants quarters. This district is internationally known for its educational institutions: Phillips Academy, Abbot Academy and the Andover Theological Seminary. However these schools originally relied on families with homes like this to board their students. It was first occupied by Horace Wilson, a carpenter-builder, who had a barn and shop in the rear where #33 is located. Built with spacious and sunny rooms, it was ideal for family and student life as Abbot Academy previously owned it for decades.With the merger with Phillips Academy in June 1973 the property was transferred to the Trustees of Phillips Academy who later sold to Richard C. & Linda T. Duarte on March 11, 1977. The original features of the house have been well maintained and the Duarte family received a Preservation Award in 1997 for their continued efforts.
The home had been converted into apartments and later the Duarte family converted the house into three condominium units in 2003.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Plan #14458 - Condominium conversion
Samuel Gray - 1855
Horace Wilson, wife Sarah R. F. - Apr. 23, 1855 - b. 512 leaf 16
Horace Wilson, wife Sarah R. F. - Aug. 7, 1886 - b. 87 p. 309 - mtg
Andover Savings Bank - June 23, 1892 - b. 119 p. 371 - mtg deed poss.
H. Sanford Leach, wife Martha E. - June 23, 1892 - b. 119 p. 372 - mtg. sale
Trustees of Abbot Academy - June 7, 1917 - b. 377 p. 29
Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 30, 1973 - b. 1222 p. 85
Richard C. & Linda T. Duarte - Mar. 11, 1977 - b. 1304 p. 384
Abbot Estate Condominium, Richard C. & Linda Duarte - Feb. 26, 2003 - b. 7557 p. 193
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Leach House|
|Construction Date||mid 19th century, circa 1860|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||Horace Wilson (builder)|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage, attached two story house for dorm.|
|Acreage||less than one acre, 20,050 sq. ft. 119' frontage.|
|Map and parcel||40-6|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/26/15|