NRDIS NRDIS, Gambrel - has screened porch and a covered front porch
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were Leslie & Helen S. Christison. Leslie was a chemist for the American Woolen Co. In 1928 Mrs. Mary Grabner occupied the home followed by Wm. H. & Marjorie B. Southworth in 1930. William was a manager in Lawrence. They had been renting #15 Enmore prior to moved here. In 1932 George S. & Annie Mason are leasing. George is a mill operative with the AWCo. Mrs. Ada Mason, widow of of George and Clarabelle R. Mason a mill operator also reside with George & Annie.
This house was sold to Eugene J. & Mary V. Bonin on Apr. 3, 1937. Eugene was employed by the Ford Motor Company. Eugene and Mary owned the home for 21 years. They sold to Edwin C. Brown on Oct. 2, 1958 who then transferred the deed to Bertha M. McCarthy on Oct. 31, 1958. McCarthy owned for three years then sold to Roland W. & Celina M. Bernier on Dec. 28, 1961. The Bernier family owned for 18 years.
Robert & Carol E. Round purchased the home on June 15, 1979 and continue as owners of record in 2015 now at 36 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #24
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 8th parcel
Eugene J. & Mary V. Bonin - Apr. 3, 1937 - b. 606 p. 122
Edwin C. Brown - Oct. 2, 1958 - b. 880 p. 401
Bertha M. McCarthy - Oct. 31, 1958 - b. 951 p. 98
Roland W. & Celina M. Bernier - Dec. 28, 1961 - b. 951 p. 99
Robert M/ K. & Carol E. Round - June 15, 1979 - b. 1373 p. 356
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Bonin - Bernier - Round House|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Chester A. Patten|
|Roof||asphalt - gambrel|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||small shed|
|Major Alterations||asphalt roof singles replace original slate|
|Acreage||0.129 acre, 70' x 80'|
|Map and parcel||19-50|
|Recorded by||C. Round, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/10/2015|