Greek Revival farmhouse, modified Cape design
John Adams, a "Master of Arts" sold a four acre parcel of land for $181.61 to Benjamin Clement, a carpenter on March 31, 1830. Benjamin Clement later sells to Moses Clement, a carpenter, a 22 sq. rod lot for $50. on Mar. 9, 1833. Moses Clement then sells the parcel back for $500. to Benjamin Clement on Oct. 25, 1834 with dwelling house, on the road from my dwelling house to Charles Wardwells. Benjamin Clement estate was sold to Moody Russell, a carpenter for $485. on Feb. 14, 1840. Clements executors were Benjamin Whiting, Amos C. Clement and Charles Cummings. The deed was recorded on Jan. 1, 1842.
Moody Russell then sell the property to Samuel Morrill, a Printer, wife Hannah on Apr. 13, 1844. Morrill payed $650 for the property. Morrill held for place for two years then selling to Henry Abbot 2nd , wife Lucy for $600. on May 16, 1846. Abbot takes a $300 mortgage from Stephen Barker which included his dwelling house, out-buildings and land under and adjoining, being about one acre. Samuel Morrill releases the property on May 28, 1853 to Stephen Barker. WIth the death of Stephen Barker, his executors, Henry Barker and Edmund Barker dispose of the estate. Edmund Barker then purchased from Samuel Morrill on May 1, 1866.
Henry Brownell, a "Stone Layer" then acquires the property on May 14, 1866 for $600. Henry and his wife Catherine purchase additional lots. One two acre parcel from the William Smart estate on July 26, 1879 and an additional 2 acre parcel for Hannah Morrill on Nov. 29, 1880. Brownell now had about a 7 acre homestead parcel. In the 1885 street directory he is listed as a wood dealer.
The property was sold after the deaths of Henry & Catherine Brownell who had owned for 38 years. George A. & Irene Stewart purchased the home on Nov. 3, 1904.
The Stewarts owned for 23 years then selling to the Trustees of Phillips Academy who now use the home as faculty housing.
1830 map, house with no name
1888 map, H. Brownell
1906 map, Stuart House & Barn
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
John Adams - lot 2 - 1830
Benjamin Clement - Mar. 31, 1830 - b. 257 leaf 313 - 4 acres - $181.61 lot 2
Moses Clement - Mar. 9, 1833 - b. 270 leaf 53
Moses Clement - lot 1 - 1834 -
Benjamin Clement - Oct. 25, 1834 - b. 279 leaf 187 lot 1 - $500
Benjamin Clement estate, Benj. Whiting, Amos C. Clement, Charles Cummings Extrs,
Moody Russell - b. 329 leaf 49 - $485
Samuel Morrill, wife Hannah - Apr. 13, 1844 - b. 367 leaf 227 -$650
Henry Abbot 2nd, wife Lucy - May 16, 1846 - b. 367 leaf 228
Stephen Barker - May 13, 1846 - b. 377 leaf 239 mtg deed
Samuel Morrill - May 28, 1853 - b. 479 leaf 36 - release
Stephen Barker estate, Henry Barker, Edmund Barker Extrs. - Oct. 11, 1860 - b. 679 leaf 143
Edmund Barker - May 1, 1866 - b. 703 leaf 37
Henry Brownell, wife Catherine C. - May 14, 1866 - b. 703 leaf 38
Henry Brownell estate, heir Catherine C.
Catherine C. Bownell estate - 1898
Sarah W. Brownell - Apr. 4, 1898 - b. 161 p. 249
Sarah W. Brownell & Charles H. Brownell
George A. Stewart, wife Irene A. - Nov. 3, 1904 - b. 216 p. 420
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Nov. 25, 1927 - b. 537 p. 182
Emory Basford - Mar. 9, 1951 - B. 748 p. 423 - indentured deed
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Mar. 17, 1977 - b. 1304 p. 353
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Clement - Brownell - Stewart House|
|Construction Date||1830 - 1833|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Moses Clement builder|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||barn|
|Map and parcel||58-35|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||6/17/1991, 4/22/2016|