NRIND NRMRA Building marker 1993.
Themes: Architectural, community development.
This house was built by Jeduthan Abbot Jr. about 1809, after he purchased the property from his father Jeduthan Abbot for $1000.
Jeduthun Abbot Jr. (Capt. Jeduthun, William, Nehemiah, Nehemiah, George, George) was born June 18, 1777 in Andover at 88 Lowell St, oldest son of Capt. Jeduthun & Hannah (Poor) Abbot. Jeduthan Jr. was a Yeoman, lived with parents until moving to his new home. Jeduthan married on January 17, 1805 to Mary (Betsy) Bridges b. Sept.21, 1786 daughter of James III & Mary Bridges. Jeduthan would later inherit his father’s house.
Jeduthan & Betsy Abbot had seven children; 1.William, b. May 27, 1805 m. Dec. 30, 1832 to Mary P. Bailey, 2.Moody Bridges b. May 24, 1808 d. June 22, 1876 age 68, Yeoman, m. Dec. 8, 1830 Hannah Varnum Noyes b. Sept. 28, 1812 daughter of Frederick & Hannah Noyes, 3.Charles M. b. June 27,1834 d. Aug. 9, 1899 age 65. m. Emily, 4. Hannah J. b. Apr. 18, 1842, Punchard Free School 1863, m. William Noddin of Charlotte, ME, 5. Sarah Maria b. Sept. 17, 1844, Punchard Free School 1863. m. Mr. Hardy, lived in Boston, 6. J. Varnum b. lived in Dedham, MA, and 7. Mary Elizabeth (Lizzie) b. Sept. 5, 1852 d. Feb. 16, 1921, m. Richard Alfred Ward son of Anthony & Sarah D. Ward. Lizzie’s in-laws who would later purchase 88 Lowell St. from her father Jeduthan. Mary was a member of Punchard Free School 1871.
It has been stated that Joseph Warren Smith, son of John Smith the founder of Smith & Dove Manufacturing Company was born in this house on Nov. 14, 1831. Juduthan later sold his homestead and four parcels of land for $1500. to his son Moody B. Abbott in 1838. Moody then sold to Nathan Foster & Moses Town for $4408. in 1839.
Winslow Battles purchased the property from Nathan Forster & Moses Town on Aug. 14, 1839 and house remained in possession of Battles family for nearly a century. Winslow W. Battles was born 1808 in Plymouth, MA son of Caleb & Lucy Battles. He married on May 31, 1832 to Charlotte Wardwell. Charlotte joined the West Parish Church on May 3, 1840 and Winslow followed on July 5, 1844. Sadly he died three months later on Oct. 13, 1844 of consumption. Winslow's occupation was listed as a machinist. Winslow & Charlotte had two children; Otis Winslow b. Dec. 24, 1832 and Helen Maria b. July 18, 1838. His wife Charlotte and two children inherit the property.
Otis Winslow Battles married Ann C. Tyndal b. Oct. 14, 1830 and his sister Helen M. Battles married Augustus Fuller. With the death of their mother Charlotte on Sept. 9, 1896 the siblings inherit the property. Otis Winslow Battles buys out Helen's share on Oct. 22, 1896. Winslow & Ann C. had two daughters; Amy Frances Battles b. July 1864 and Helen Winslow Battles b. 1867. Amy & Helen W. Battles were deeded the property by their father Otis Winslow on Aug. 27, 1898 who died the following month on Sept. 25, 1898. Amy F. married the following year on Oct. 17, 1899 to William Albert Trow. William and Amy then moved into the Battles house, sharing the home with sister Helen. There were no children from their marriage.
AT - June 9, 1899 – Frye Village – Many alterations and repairs on the interior and exterior of the residence of late Otis W. Battles will soon be made by A. F. Abbot / Perley F. Gilbert is the Architect for the work.
William Albert Trow b. Jan. 6, 1868, son of Daniel L. & Phoebe C. (Grant) Trow. William lived on the Trow homestead at 119 Lowell St. He joined the West Parish Church a few months after the Battles sisters in July 1886.
Both Amy & Helen W. attended Punchard Free School, 1882 and 1885 respectively. Amy & Helen would both become primary age teachers, Amy taught primary age students as South Central School (John Dove School) from 1884 -1888. Helen began her career in 1885 in the one room North School at the intersection of North St. & River Rd. Helen was later transferred in 1888 to the Frye Village School (Richardson School) teaching grades 1, 2 & 3. In 1901 she was appointed Principal of the school, a position she held until to her death on Feb. 2, 1920. The Richardson School stood on the vacant lot at the corner of Lowell St. and Iceland Rd. It was closed in 1924 when the new Shawsheen School opened.
Amy F. (Battles) Trow became sole heir of the homestead in Feb.1920. The deed was placed in both her and
William A.Trow's name on Dec. 10, 1921. Amy F. died on Mar. 12, 1929 leaving William A. Trow heir to the property. William later re-marry to Florence Gardner Bowes, a widow with one daughter Charlotte Bowes.
William A. Trow added Florence G. B. to the deed on Mar. 30, 1943. William died on Nov. 17, 1949. Florence G. B. Trow then sold the property to Eldon E. & Ruth L. Stark on Nov. 28, 1950. [see 88 and 119 Lowell St. for more on Abbot and Trow families]
Eldon E. & Ruth L. Stark owned for two years then sold to Harold S. & Elizabeth M. Buckley on Sept. 24, 1952
The deed was transferred to Elizabeth M. Buckley on Jan 9, 1973.
Norman & Leslie Frost purchased the property on January 10, 1973 and remain owner of record in 2015. The Frost family has done extensive restoration to the homestead, barn and grounds during their stewardship. Leslie Frost is a Nationally recognized horticulturalist, landscape designer and avid preservationist. Leslie designed the formal gardens on the property today. "The landscape is of the Federal Period and represents the influence of the Romantic and Classical traditions." Leslie also serves as a member of the Andover Preservation Commission, the Andover Conservation Commission as Warden of Hussey’s Reservation and a former President of the Garden Club Federation of MA. and a member of the Andover Garden Club active in the area of scholarship and Historic Preservation of Gardens.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrene, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Historical Manual of the West Church and Parish in Andover, MA - 1926
West Parish Garden Cemetery burial records
Goldsmith, Bessie; Historical Houses of Andover, 1946
Dorman, Moses; Map of Andover, 1830
1994 - Awarded Certificate of Appreciation at Annual Preservation Awards.
Jeduthan Abbot - 1809 land
Jeduthan Abbot Jr., wife Mary (Betsy) Bridges - Apr. 17,1809 - b.186 leaf 155 - 40 acres
Moody B. Abbot - Jan. 27,1838 - b. 303 leaf 211- five parcels & homestead
Nathan Foster & Moses Town - 1839 - b. 314 leaf 26 - Salem
Winslow Battles - Aug. 14, 1839 - b. 315 leaf 3 - Salem
Winslow Battles estate - died Oct. 13, 1844
Otis W. Battles & Helen F. (Battles) Fuller, heirs
Otis Winslow Battles - Oct. 22, 1896 - b. 150 p. 380
Helen W. Battles & Amy F. Battles - Aug. 27, 1898 - b. 164 p. 408
Amy F. (Battles) Trow, heir - Feb. 3, 1920
William A. & Amy F. Trow - Dec. 10, 1921 - b. 451 p. 537
Amy F. Trow estate, William A. Trow heir - May 12, 1929 - probate
William A. & Florence G. B. Trow - Mar. 30, 1943 - b. 657 p. 268
William A. Trow estate, Florence G. B. heir, Nov. 17, 1949 Probate
Eldon E. & Ruth L. Stark - Nov. 28, 1950 - b. 744 p. 525
Harold S. & Elizabeth M. Buckley - Sept. 24, 1952 - b. 766 p. 580
Barbara B. Creamer - Apr. 16, 1971 - b. 1169 p. 339 deed transfer
Elizabeth M. Buckley - Jan 9, 1973 - b. 1210 p. 253
Norman & Leslie Frost - Jan. 10, 1973 - b. 1210 p. 254
Frost Realty Trust - Jan. 15, 1997 - b. 4674 p. 92
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Abbot, Juduthan Jr. - Battles, Winslow House|
|Source||Bessie Goldsmith style-njs|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage in rear|
|Major Alterations||porch is later. Front added 1819|
|Acreage||1.37 acres approximate frontage 183'.|
|Map and parcel||52-82|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 02/21/2006, 5/25/2015|