Eastern Stick Style Cottage popular style from 1860s-1890s. Gable details inserted vertical bead board, contrast with brackets and cruciform purloins. Bay window all complete the look. Aluminium siding now covers the original wood clapboards, but installed around the original moldings, casements and Stick Style details to maintain the integrity of the overall design. The front porch would have been open when built.
Themes: Architectural and Community Development
This property was once owned by Ira C. Randall in 1897 before Pine Street was built. Ira Randall lived at 121 Elm St. was a carpenter with a specialty in stair building. He died in Nov. 1904. A narrow cart way first gave access to the pastures and woods beyond to Summer St. Pine Street was accepted as a road by the Town in March 1902. In the 1908 Andover Directory this property is listed as #7 Pine Street.
Ira C Randall may have built the home. Daniel P. Webster, wife Mary A. purchased the property on June 24, 1898. The 1900 Census list Webster at 123 Elm St. Rear and owner. As Pine Street had yet to be accepted we believe this is the same property.
Daniel P. Webster was born in April 1868 in Nova Scotia and immigrated in 1890. He married in 1890 to Mary A. Elliot b. May 1869 in New Brunswick. Daniel lists his occupation as farm laborer in 1900. and later Teamster, own work. David & Mary had two sons Guy E. b. Sept. 1896 and Elliot v. 1903. They would move to 105 Elm Street. It is interesting to note that Webster was related to David O. Whitman as both were married to Elliot sisters, Mary and Margaret. Whiitman purchased property on Pine St. and lived at #35.
Daniel Webster sold the property to Fred E. & Cora A. Otis on May 3, 1910. Fred and Cora were from New Hampshire. Fred. b. 1872 and Cora in 1875 had six children: Everett H. b. 1899, Frances L. b. 1901, Herbert b. 1902, James b. 1908, Helen b. 1912, Fred H. b. 1913. Fred's mother Frances A. Otis b. 1839 also lived with them in 1920 and 1930 census.
Fred E. Otis sold the home to Dale E. & Sarah E. Webster on Apr. 13, 1943. Websters owned for eleven years then selling to Robert E Piercy, wife Florence M.on June 10, 1954. The Piercy family continue as owners of record in 2018 now 64 years.
Essex Northern registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedule 1920
Annie H. Locke - land
Ira C. Randall - land
Daniel P. Webster, wife Mary A. - June 24, 1898 - b. 163 p. 383
Fred E. & Cora A. Otis - May 3, 1910 - b. 288 p. 466
Fred E. Otis - Sept. 3, 1941 - b. 644 p. 381
Dale E. & Sarah E. Webster - Apr. 13, 1943 - b. 657 p. 302
Robert E Piercy, wife Florence M. - June 10, 1954 - b. 793 p. 16
Robert E Piercy estate, heir wife Florence M. - Oct. 14, 1973 - Probate
Florence M. Piercy estate, heirs, Robert E., George W., Ethel H. Piercy - Apr. 26, 1975 -Probate
Robert E. Piercy, George W. Piercy, Ethel H. Piercy - April 1975
Robert E. Piercy, George W. Piercy, Ethel H. Piercy - July 13, 1976 - b. 1290 p. 459
Stephen E. & Jean E. Piercy - b.1324 p. 379
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Webster - Otis House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Wall/Trim||clapboard/wood/ aluminum siding|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||aluminum siding, rear additions,|
|Map and parcel||21-127|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 3/30/2018|