Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd. 1930-1935, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading, as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule in 1920 adds to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation list and within the Scotland School District from 1785-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development of this neighborhood came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.
William P. Shattuck purchased this 16 acre tract of land between South Main St and Boston Road on Mar. 29, 1902. Eleanor Fairbrother purchased the entire parcel on July 16, 1909.
Eleanor Clemmons was born Aug. 1872 dau. of Charles E. & Ella J. (Nichols) Clemmons. Eleanor married four times. First on June 26, 1897 in Epping, NH to Charles Fairbrother b. Mar. 1850 in China, Maine son of Wm. V. & Mary A. (Jackson) Fairbrother. Charles, a farmer at the time of marriage, would become a Veterinarian. They lived in Wilmington in 1900. Eleanor and Charles had four children; Charles R. b. July 1898, Lafayette b. Dec. 1899. Viola G. b. 1905 and William H. b. 1907.
Eleanor & Charles lived in the home at 1 Cottage Road and had the land surveyed and parceled off into house lots in September 1911 by Ralph D. Hood Civil Engineer (Map #147). Three new roads were created to access the properties off Boston and County Roads. Two roads remain undeveloped "Paper Streets" today although they appear on a plan in 1966 as Jackson Street north of this lot and Lafayette St. to the east. Charles died on Feb. 19, 1912 in West Newbury, MA. His occupation is listed as Real Estate. Eleanor remarried on Dec. 6, 1913 to Edgar Manning Earley b. Dec. 13, 1873 in Topsfield, MA, son of Charles and Mary E. (Margeson) Earley. Edgar was married before and had five children. Edgar died on Dec. 26, 1917 in Andover. Eleanor marred a third time to Alexander Hamel and last to Maynard.
Eleanor Earley sold off 21 parcel lots to the C & H Company of Somerville, MA Clarence W. Hall, Treas. on Dec. 1, 1931.
Ernest & Irene M. Gallant purchased the property on May 27, 1949 which included lots 41, 42, 43, 44, 49 and 50 which comprises the current parcel of 32 Boston Rd. The house is sited on lots 49 & 50 facing Boston Rd. The remainder are to the rear on the paper street named Lafayette St.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #147 - Sept. 1911 lots 41,42,43,44,49,50
Charles H. Allen
Francis P. & Sylvia Goss - Oct. 29, 1864 - b. 676 leaf 169
Lucy M. Buxton - Oct. 9, 1884 - b. 78 p. 576 - 16 1/2 acres
Daniel A. McIntire, wife Elizabeth - Oct. 24, 1894 - b. 143 p. 144 - 16 1/2 acres
William P. Shattuck - Mar. 29, 1902 - b. 193 p. 14 - 16 acres
Eleanor Fairbrother - July 16, 1909 - b. 276 p. 284
Ethel E. Gallagher - Dec. 6, 1913 - b. 336 p. 576
Edgar M. Earley & Eleanor Fairbrother - Dec. 6, 1913 - b. 336 p. 578
Edgar M. Earley estate, Eleanor Earley - Dec. 26, 1917
C & H Company, Clarence W. Hall, Treas. - Dec. 1, 1931 - b. 562 p. 128 - 21 parcel lots
Ernest & Irene M. Gallant - May 27, 1949 - b. 723 p. 550
Ernest Gallant estate, Irene M. Gallant - Sept. 1, 1964 - Probate
Robert K. & Christine M. Hall - Aug. 10, 1967 - b. 1088 p. 162
J. Leo Arsenault - June 2, 1983 - b. 1681 p. 36
J. Leo Arsenault & Diane H. McLaughlin - Aug. 27, 1986 - b. 2279 p. 177
Donald R. LeBrun & Diane H. (McLaughlin) Arsenault - Oct. 25, 1993 - b. 3870 p. 333
J. Leo & Diane H. Arsenault - Dec. 30, 2002 - b. 7578 p. 16
Diane H. Arsebnault estate, heir J. Leo Arsenault - June 17, 2007 - b. 10872 p. 109
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Ernest & Irene M. Gallant House|
|Major Alterations||Additions to this home have altered the original look. Rear addition and dormer, replacement windows, vinyl siding.|
|Acreage||0.805 acre, 35,080 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||83-14|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|