Themes: architectural, community development.
This property was once owned by the Trustees of Andover Theological Seminary who sold to the Trustees of Phillips Academy in 1908.
The lot of land was then sold to Blanche D. Sherman, wife of Leonard D. Sherman on Sept. 28, 1908. The deed was not recorded until Feb. 5, 1917.
Leonard D. Sherman was an active artist and photographer, who had a studio on Main St. then built a new one on Chapman Ave. The Shermans built this Shingle Style home in 1908-1909. Leonard operated his studio here and often gave exhibits and painting demonstrations to the public. Leonard was also a member of the "Andover Barnstormers", a theatrical group who put on plays and shows in the Town Hall. He has been attributed as the artist who re-designed the Andover Town Seal originally adopted by the town in 1901. The seal logo was originally designed for the 250th Anniversary of Andover in 1896 by Whiting Jeweler. His design was then superimposed within the original round seal by 14 year old boy William Harnden Foster, and adopted by the town. Leonard's contribution was to place a full headdress on the Native American Indian.
The Leonards owned the home for 14 years then selling to Ellen A. Keany on July 3, 1922. Kenny also purchased an empty second parcel to the east from Douglas & Frances Crawford which was half of the lot, they had bought from the Theological Seminary.
Keany held for two years then sold to Josephine B. Reed, wife Victor A. Reed on June 11, 1924. Reed owned for 5 years then sell to
Alice L. Bell & Mary Bell on May 4, 1931.
Alice & Mary Bell were the daughters of Judge Charles Upman Bell and lived in the Bell home at 73 Bartlet Street. They sold that home and moved here. Alice Bell died at age 76 y 10m. on Sept. 15, 1950 and Mary became sole heir. After Mary's death in 1963, Exectors of her estate; Helen Driver Hopwood, Charles J. Pitman, and James S. Eastham sold the property to Harriett W. Cowdery and husband James on Mar. 2, 1964.
Edward P. & Theresa E. McManus purchased the property on June 24, 1977 and four years later to local contractor
Douglas R. & Elaine E. Mifflin on Nov. 28, 1981. Owners since then are Laurence B. Kanter & Jani K. Rachelson on Jan 29, 1986
Horace W. & Margaret Waters on July 28, 1988.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Trustees of Andover Theological Seminary - 1908
Trustees of Phillips Academy - 1908
Blanche D. Sherman, hus. Leonard D. - Sept. 28, 1908 - b. 372 p. 297
Ellen A. Keany - July 3, 1922 - b. 376 p. 362
Josephine B Reed, hus. Victor A., - June 11, 1924 b. 501 p. 99
Alice L. Bell & Mary Bell - May 4, 1931 - b. 558 p. 152
Alice L. Bell estate, Mary W. Bell heir - Sept. 12, 1950
Mary W. Bell estate, Helen Driver Hopwood, Charles J. Pitman, James S. Eastham, Extrs. -1964
Harriett W. Cowdery, hus. James - Mar. 2, 1964 - b. 1006 p. 240
Edward P. & Theresa E. McManus - June 24, 1977 - b. 1311 p. 694
Douglas R. & Elaine E. Mifflin - Nov. 28, 1981 - b. 1586 p. 239
Laurence B. Kanter & Jani K. Rachelson - Jan 29, 1986 - b. 2121 p. 234
Horace W. & Margaret Waters - July 28, 1988 - b. 2776 p. 59
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Leonard & Blanche Sherman House|
|Construction Date||1901; c. 1890's|
|Source||style-njs, ERDS, ENRDL|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gambrel|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||mordern garage|
|Major Alterations||playhouse 1970|
|Acreage||0.916 acre, 39,900 sq. ft. approximate frontage 130'|
|Map and parcel||40-70|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 4/6/2015|