One family bungalow built in 1922 with a Hip roof with Asphalt cover. Wood shingle exterior; enclosed front porch; 1 bath, 5 rooms, 2 bedrooms. Small garage and shed.
This bungalow is similar in design to several homes on Burnhan Rd. Nice fan light detail on porch and classical columns.
The Ballardvale Machine Shop Corp., John Marland, President, purchased much of the property in the center of Ballardvale in 1847. The land was then sub-divided into house and store lots and the company began selling off parcels in 1848. John Marland and John Howe Jr. owned the parcel along Centre St. (now Center St.) and auctioned off 35 lots on July 28. 1847. The auctioneers were Loring, Abbott and Porter of Boston.
The Ballardvale Machine shop would begin selling off their holdings in 1848. Samuel Abbott of Boston and William Abbott of Andover followed suit with their property on Oak and Tewksbury Streets. The greater portion of the village center was developed at this period of time.
This lot # 5 on the Marland & Howe 1847 map was sold to Isaac Abbott, wife Eliza A. for $279.66 at the auction on July 28, 1847. The deed however was not recorded until Oct. 18, 1858. The parcel contained 9322 sq. feet. The lot remained vacant until the 1920s.
John S. Gollan purchased the lot on July 16, 1919. The Andover Valuation schedule for 1920 lists John Gollan, South District, Center St., Shop $175 , 9322 sq. ft. of land $175. John placed the deed in his wife Marion's name in Apr. 22, 1922. John Gollan, local mason, had house built for himself and family and later sold to brother and sister-in-law, George Bruce local post master. Current ow Henry Prussman
John & Marion sold the home on March 9, 1929 to Mary M. Bruce, wife of George R. Bruce. George and Mary lived here for 58 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, Sarah Loring Bailey 1880
Andover, A Century of Change, Eleanor Richardson 1995
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files
Marland & Howe map Ballardvale Center - house and store lots July 1847
Ballardvale Machine Shop Corporation May 1848 - Franklin Darracott Engineer
Samuel Abbott & William Abbott house lots amp 1848
Andover maps; 1852, 1856, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900, 1910, 1920
John Marland & John Howe Jr. - 1847
Isaac Abbott, wife Eliza - July 28, 1847 rec. Oct. 18, 1858 - b. 577 leaf 52
Isaac Abbott estate, Eliza A. heir.
Eliza A. (Abbott) Kenney, wife of Moses A. Kenney -
Mary P. A. Greene, wife of Rev. Henry S. Greene - Oct. 20, 1875 - b. 37 p. 105 - $160
Mary P. A. Greene estate, heirs children
Roselle L. Leonard, wife of John H. - Oct. 15, 1880 - b. 66 p. 33
Rose A. Chapman - April 11, 1908 - b. 260 p. 568 - second parcel lot 5
John S. Gollan - July 16, 1919 - b. 403 p. 596
Marion Gollan, wife of John S. - Apr. 22, 1922 - b. 456 p. 451
Mary M. Bruce, wife of George R. - Mar. 9, 1929 - b. 545 p. 54
George A. & Mary M. Bruce - June 12, 1959 - Doc. 15001 - Decree land court
Mary M. Bruce estate, George R. Bruce heir - Oct. 1, 1981 - Doc. 32950-1
George R. Bruce estate, Edward F. Parker, Extr. - Nov. 9, 1987 - Ctf. #4777
Henry A. & Ruth M. Prussman - Aug. 20, 1987 - Ctf. #10405
Henry A. Prussman - Apr. 21, 1988 - Ctf. #10405
Donna M Prussman, Adam P. Piazza, Mary T. Piazza - Apr. 2, 2001 - Ctf. #13627
Donna M. Prussman - Mar. 5, 2003 - Ctf. #14130
Steven J. Therrien - Nov. 7, 2006 - Ctf. #15538
Seaport Homes, LLC - June 16, 2015 - Ctf # 17230
Meghan R. Lee - July 24, 2015 - Ctf. 17347
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Gollan - Bruce House|
|Construction Date||1920 - 1921|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Map and parcel||138-41|
|Recorded by||Ruth A. Sharpe (BallardvaleHistoric District) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||May 1996, 8/21/2016|