Many stones reflect the Victorian period in style. Marble, granite and sandstone markers are the most prevalent headstones.
The Christ Church Cemetery or burial yard is directly to the rear of the church building. In the Historical Sketches of Andover, Burying-Grounds and Cemeteries page 215, "In 1840 Christ Churchyard was given to the parish by Abraham Marland. The honored dead of many members of this parish repose here."
The land for the burial ground was also given by Abraham Marland to the Christ Church Warden & Vestry committee on Dec. 29, 1840 and recorded on June 3, 1841. The first burial however is reported to be Susannah McNamara b. June 19, 1839 and died on June 13, 1840 at age 11m 25d, daughter of William & Abigail (Smith) McNamara. The cemetery grounds extended behind the original Church edifice and the Parsonage to the rear property lines of the Glebe House, (then Dr. Samuel Johnson's home and the Widow Abbott on Brook Street. The west boundary line ran along the James Howarth estate and the south by Mark Newman's homestead. In 1872 School Street was extended down the hill from Central St. to the train Depot cutting through a portion of the Newman property leaving lots on both sides of the road. South Parish Church purchased the lots in Aug. 1874 who then sold the parcel on the north side of School St. to the Christ Church on April 21, 1875 which is now a portion of the School St. entrance to the Christ Church Cemetery.
AA - July 23, 1880 Messers. Regan & Howard are enclosing the enlarged Episcopal Cemetery on School street, by building a substantial stone wall.
Most notable burials are Abraham Marland and family founders of the church in Andover. Marland founded Marland Mills Manufacturing Co. Benjamin H. Punchard, son-law-law of Marland who willed funds for establishing a Free High School for the Town in 1850. Hobart Clark, John Flint, John Derby, Nathan Frye, Cogswell family, Valpey family, local merchants and bankers and charter members of the church. Henry George Tyer founder of the Tyer Rubber Co. as his his son Horace H. Tyer is also interred here.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Christ Church - Dec. 29, 1840 rec. 6/3/1841 b. 325 leaf 98
Andover Christ Church - April 21, 1875 rec. 5/17/1875 b. 34 page 163 - School St. parcel
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Central Street NRH District|
|Historic Name||Christ Church Episcopal Cemetery|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Map and parcel||55-35|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Aug. 26, 2019|