33 Stinson Road

Architectural Description: 

Two periods of styles - Federal and Greek Revival as house was enlarged over the years.
Interior chimney now exposed because portion of building demolished.

Historical Narrative: 

Andover maps: 1852 Gunnerson. 1856 S. Gunnison, 1872 Misses Gunnison, 1884 Est. of S. Gunnison, 1906 H.S. Johnson.

This property was once owned by the widow Lydia Holt of Milford, NH in 1826. Lydia sold a "messuage" of land of 56 poles for $150 to Sarah Gunnison, wife of Samuel Gunnison on Dec. 22, 1826. A messuage is a dwelling house with its out-buildings and adjoining lands. Samuel Gunnison later on purchased an additional 11 acres of land on May 29, 1859 for $350 from Eliza A. Higgins, daughter of Noah Abbott, who inherited part of her father's farm at 22 Stinson Rd.

Samuel Gunnison was born May 8, 1787 in Salem, MA, son of John & Mary Gunnison. Samuel's marriage intentions were recorded twice, once on Aug. 21, 1820 and again on Feb. 2, 1822 in Andover. Samuel married Sarah "Sally" Gray b. July 26, 1788 daughter of Thomas & Mary (Holt) Gray of Andover. Samuel is listed as a Shoemaker and Veteran. The 1850 Andover Valuation Tax List - Samuel Gunnison, Dwelling House, barn, house lot $350 - 1/3 acre, Land $160 - 9 1/4 acre. Personal Estate, Farm Stock $467, Money $5000 - total assessment $5467.

Samuel & Sally had seven children of which three survived. Susanna b. Aug. 11, 1823 - d. 1837 age 14, Abiah and twin sister b. Jan. 24, 1825. Her twin was stillborn, Abiah died Sept. 16, 1911. Twins John & Thomas b. July 7, 1826, Thomas died at birth, John the following year on Sept. 28, 1827. Mary Jane b. Mar. 18, 1833 - d. Dec. 7, 1904 and Samuel Jr. b. 1828 - died Jan. 4, 1894.

The 1860 Census lists Samuel, Shoemaker, wife Sally, Abiah and Mary Jane both Tailoress and Samuel Jr. also a shoemaker. Sally died on Dec. 17, 1863 and Samuel died in Ipswich, MA on July 9, 1868 of old age. The three surviving children Samuel, Abiah and Mary Jane Gunnison inherited the family home. At the time of sale Samuel Jr. was in Austin, Nevada. His sisters were in Andover. The Gunnison family are all interred in South Parish Cemetery.

William Day, wife Jane of Nahant, MA purchased the house and lot on June 20, 1874 for $400. William Day then purchased the 11 acre lot which had been sold to Alexander Deer on June 20, 1874 for $350. The property was then transferred by Andreas Blume on Nov. 10, 1877 to Jane Day as two parcels. Jane also purchased another 5 acres on Oct. 25, 1881.

Alexander Deer purchased the home on Mar. 8, 1887 and held the property for nine years then selling to James & Amelia McWeeney on June 12, 1896.

Mary F. Battey then purchased the property on Jan. 16, 1897. Mary married Herbert S. Johnson and they owned the home until 1919 then selling to H. Bradford Lewis on July 18, 1919. Lewis and family owned the property for 34 years. It was income property for Henry Bradford Lewis(1868-1951), who made a considerable fortune from his scouring mills in Lawrence, MA. Lewis was in charge of the three mills of the E. Frank Lewis Co. and the American Lanolin Co., which employed 500 persons at their peak. Lewis built his mansion "Lincolnshire" at 22 Hidden Rd.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Goldsmith, Bessie; Townsman's Andover, 1964, p. 91
Dorman, Moses; map of Andover, 1830 - N. Abbott
Maps of Andover, 1852, 1856, 1872, 1884, 1888 maps
Map plan #2618- Sept. 1952 - H. B. Lewis - lot 4
Map plan #2869 - July 1954 - Herbert F. Rines - lot 4

Owners:
Widow Lydia Holt of Milford, NH - 1826
Sarah Gunnison, wife of Samuel Gunnison - Dec. 22, 1826 - b. 250 leaf 306
Samuel Gunnison - May 29, 1859 - b. 587 leaf 263
Samuel Gunnison estate, heirs, Samuel, Abiale and Mary Jane Gunnison - 1874
William Day, wife Jane - June 20, 1874 - b. 31 p. 154 - $400 - 56 pole lot
William Day - June 20, 1874 - b. 31 p. 156 - $350 - 11 aces
Andreas Blume - Nov. 10, 1877 - b. 49 p. 316
Jane Day - Nov. 10, 1877 - b. 49 p. 317 - two parcels
Jane Day - Oct. 25, 1881 - b. 66 p. 360 - 5 acres
Alexander Deer - Mar. 8, 1887 - b. 89 p. 534
James & Amelia McWeeney - June 12, 1896 - b. 148 p. 14
Mary F. Battey - Jan. 16, 1897 - b. 152 p. 465
Mary F. (Battey) Johnson - June 15, 1897 - b. 156 p. 243
Herbert S. Johnson - Mar. 16, 1914 - b. 340 p. 15
H. Bradford Lewis - July 18, 1919 - b. 403 p. 49
H. Bradford Lewis estate, Geo. Thompson Jr. Extr -
Lucien & Rose LeBlanc - Jan. 14, 1953 - b. 773 p. 25
Lucien LeBlanc estate, heir Rose LeBlanc - Feb. 25, 1955
Rose LeBlanc estate, Frances Clotworthy, Extrx - Aug. 30, 1967 - Probate
Harold C. & Ruth M. Foreman, Jr. - Sept. 7, 1967 - b. 1090 p. 210
Parker F. D. Leighton - Jan. 5, 1973 - b. 1210 p. 156
Curtis W. Martha - July 31, 1979 - b. 1380 p. 248

Inventory Data:

StreetStinson Rd
PlaceHolt District
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameSamuel & Sarah Gunnison House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1820's
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationstone/granite
Wall/Trimclapboards/wood
Roofasphalt - gable
Conditionexcellent
Acreage0.799 acre
Settingresidential
Map and parcel43-4
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 3/28/2016

Map: