Style: Late Greek Revival
Other features: doorway in paneled recess. Corner boards, entablature banding below the eaves.
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Historical significance: owned by J. Moody Russell - The 1860 Andover Valuation schedule lists Dwelling house, barn and 3 acres of land $2850, 1/8 acre, House and barn of P. street [Pearson St.] $1050 = $3900. 1870 Assessor's valuation, house, barn, 5 acres of land.
The property was formerly owned by George H. French, a Merchant, who sold a 3 acre parcel for $700 on the south side of Summer St. to Moody Russell on April 30, 1856. Moody Russell was born on Sept. 1, 1808 in Alfred, York Co., Maine, son of Clement & Nancy (Warren) Russell. He moved to Salem, MA and worked on the Pickering Farm. Moody married on June 21, 1829 to Frances “Fanny” Wardwell b. Sept. 7, 1804 in Andover, MA, daughter of Gideon Church and Joanna (Durant) Wardwell. Moody learned his trade as a carpenter from Jacob Chickering.
Russell’s first home was at 22 Pearson St. which he built in 1845. The 1852 map of Andover Center locates Russell there. His deed to the Summer St. property has him between Rev. F. Lincoln and Job Carey which is vacant land on the map at that time. Moody was not only a house-wright but also a real estate developer. The 1850 Andover Valuation schedule lists Moody Russell 1/8 acre, house and barn $1000. This was the Pearson St. property. Andover Advertiser August 22, 1857:
IMPROVEMENTS.—Moody Russell is building a two story dwelling house on Summer Street.
The 1860 Valuation schedule lists Dwelling house, barn and 3 acres of land $2850, 1/8 acre, House and barn of P. street $1050 = $3900.
Moody & Fanny had seven children: Moody O. b. 1830 - d. Sept. 22, 1878, Laura F. b. July 4, 1832 - d. 1918, Sylvanus b. 1834 - d. July 1917, Georgette b. Sept. 1836 – d. 1925, Cornelia Agnes b. Feb. 9, 1838 - d. Dec. 3, 1879, Archimedes “Kim” b. June 13, 1840 d. Apr. 3, 1915 and Wilhelmina b. May 31, 1845 - Nov. 3, 1911
On June 10, 1874 Moody Russell purchased the brick business block on the corner of Main and Park St. Russell wasted little time in beginning alterations to the building. The lot was 52’ on Main Street and 82’ deep along Park Street. The front ell was removed. The store space that had occupied the basement must have required patrons to step down off the sidewalk level. By raising the building four feet the floors could be lifted to street level, ceilings would be about eight feet high and larger windows inserted for display and light to the interior space.
July 3, 1874 AA – “Moody Russell has commenced improvements on the estate next to the town house, which he recently purchased of Mr. Woodman. It is his design to raise the main building about four feet, and build an addition on the north side and a wooden extension in the rear. It will be admirably fitted up for two stores and two tenements. Mr. Russell is just the man to make the necessary alterations, and the low price paid for the property will enable him to make a good thing by the operation.”
Russell later partnered with Jacob W. Barnard on Feb. 12, 1876 with a half share in the brick building now known as the Russell Block. Moody sold his share to Barnard in Nov. 1889.
Of the children of Moody & Fanny; Moody O. b. 1830 - d. Sept. 22, 1878 single, Georgette b. Sept. 1839 was a teacher at the South Center School 1853-1858 then the Phillips District School 1861-1863. She married on April 15, 1863 to Marshall L. Ramsdell, a local merchant and agent selling sewing machines and also an Art store and picture framing business, lived on Whittier St. Sylvanus b. 1834 - d. July 1917 was a printer, lived in Cambridge, MA, married Sept. 4, 1856 to Sarah L. Pike dau. of Willard & Mary Pike. Cornelia Agnes b. Feb. 9, 1838 - d. Dec. 3, 1879 married on May 1, 1873 to Henry W. Niemann b. Germany, a furniture dealer in Peterboro, NH. Archimedes “Kim” b. June 13, 1840 – d. Apr. 3, 1915, a noted architect in Syracuse NY, taught at Syracuse Univ. Wilhelmina b. May 31, 1845 died Nov. 13, 1911, married Henry P. Doe lived in Lawrence, MA.
Moody’s wife Fanny died on Oct. 15, 1892 and is interred at Spring Grove Cemetery. Moody died on Dec. 17, 1894 of Heart Disease at 86 years of age. Moody created his will in April 1894. Archimedes Russell and son-in-law Henry P. Doe were the Executors of the estate. To his daughter Wilhelmina Doe $3000, dau. Laura F. Smith $2000. dau. Georgette Ramsdell $3000., son Archimedes Russell $2000 and son Sylvanus $1000. To my grand-child Mabel Smith all my real estate at my death.
Moody's daughter Laura F. Russell married on Feb. 6, 1853 to Thomas Smith b. Mar. 21, 1820, in Andover, a shoemaker, age 33, son of Thomas & Betsey (Russell) Smith. Laura F. and Thomas had four daughters; Leonora Francis b. 9/23/1855, Emma “Amy” Lucill b. 9/5/1857, Edith Russell b. 11/1/1859- d.7/9/1887 and Mabel Frances Smith born May 6, 1865 who inherited the house. Thomas died of heart failure on Sept. 25, 1877 and is interred at South Parish Cemetery.
Mabel graduated from Punchard High School in 1884 and was a teacher. She married on May 8, 1894 to Albert W. Lowe, b. July 1863, in Wilmington, MA, son of Timothy & Mary (Saunders) Lowe. Albert graduated from Punchard H.S. in 1882 and was a druggist. Lowe’s Pharmacy was in the Draper Block at 33 Main St. 1902 -1907. George H. Parker, Apothecary occupied #33 in May 5, 1871. In 1900 Albert W. Lowe became associated with Parker’s business and purchased it in 1902. Lowe moved the drug store to the new Press building across the street at #60 in Jan. 1907 until 1924. Lowe then acquired Crowley’s Pharmacy 1911-1924 at #18 Main St in Barnard Building #18 Main and operated there from 1924-1943. The pharmacy was bought by Charles Dalton’s, who worked for Lowe. Dalton’s Pharmacy in 1943-1967, Hughes Pharmacy1967 - March 1, 1991. Allan Hughes died on January 9, 1991 ending 143 years of an Andover owned drug store business that began as John J. Brown’s Apothecary in 1843 at 9 Main St. CVS bought the stock of the Hughes estate. CVS continues at 62 Main St.
Mabel’s mother Laura (Russell) Smith continued to live with her daughter until her death on Jan. 12, 1918. The 1920 Valuation lists Mrs. Mabel S. Lowe; 33 Summer St. House $3000, barn $200, 2 ½ acres $2300 = $5500.
Mabel & Albert Lowe had two children, Lucretia b. May 14 1895 and Phillip Russell b. June 15, 1897. Lucretia graduated from PHS in 1913, was a teacher, married a second time on Sept. 9, 1936 in Seabrook, NH to Walter F. Urbach b. 1902 in Iowa, a professor. Mabel died on Mar. 20, 1939 at age 73. She in interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.
The home went to the Lowe children. Lucretia & Walter lived here after WWII. Walter taught at M.I.T. Lucretia died in 1953.Walter died in 1968. Philip R. Lowe b. 1897 graduated from Phillips Academy in 1915. He enlisted in the Army during WWI was a Sargent. Philip graduated from Lowell Textile Institute in 1924, and first worked for the Lawrence Gas Co. Philip married in 1927 to Gladys M. Best b. May 16, 1899 in Boston. They moved to Ohio where Philip ward as an Fire Insurance Adjuster. The had one son Albert W. Lowe b. 1938 in Ohio. They moved to Reading, MA when Philip worked for the Engineering Div. of Factory Mutual Ins. Co. of Boston in 1962. They moved to Andover in 1969 to the family home. Philip died Oct. 3, 1973 and Gladys died on Feb. 14, 1977. Their son Albert Lowe and his wife Gunvor then lived in the home until 1983. They had one son Philip R. Lowe. This home remained with the Russell - Lowe family for 127 years. Albert Lowe sold to Harold A. Rutter Jr. & Stephen B. Rutter on Feb. 1, 1983.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
1995 Certificate of Appreciation for Historical Preservation
Ancestry.com Russell and Lowe families
Andover Valuation Schedules 1850, 1860, 1870, 1920
Andover maps 1852, 1872, 1906,
George H. French – 1854 land
Moody Russell – Apr. 30, 1856 – b. 533 leaf 157 - $700
Moody Russell estate,- Dec. 17, 1894 - Probate
Mabel Frances (Smith) Lowe wife of Albert W. - 1894 – by will, heir
Mabel Frances (Smith) Lowe estate -heirs Lucretia Lowe Urbach & Philip Russell Lowe
Lucretia Lowe Urbach - Aug. 21, 1946 - b. 689 p. 8
Lucretia Lowe Urbach estate, Walter F. Urback Admin. - Mar. 1, 1954 - b. 791 p. 272
Walter F. Urbach estate, Philip R. Lowe, Extr - Nov. 20, 1968 - Probate #258891
Philip R. Lowe - Nov. 1, 1969 - b. 1144 p. 217
Philip R. & Gladys M. Lowe - Apr. 23, 1970 - rec. 5/21/1970 - b. 1153 p. 16
Philip R. Lowe estate, heir Gladys M. Lowe – Oct. 3, 1973
Gladys M. Lowe estate, heir Albert W. Lowe - Feb. 14, 1977 - b. 1493 p. 345
Harold A. Rutter Jr. & Stephen B. Rutter - Feb. 1, 1983 - b. 1642 b. 311
1825 Realty Trust, Harold A. Rutter Jr., Stephen B. Rutter Trs. - June 18, 1986 - b. 2218 p. 139
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Moody & Frances Russell House|
|Present Use||residence, 2 family|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Moody Russell builder|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||formerly a barn|
|Acreage||1.81 acres; approx. frontage 115'|
|Map and parcel||39-148|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 6/3/2016, 12/23/2020|