Gothic Revival - modest style, decorative verge boards on eaves, Italianate door hood and window treatments
34 Pearson St. -
Pearson Street was named for the Rev. Eliphalet Pearson, L.L., D born 1752 in Byfield, Newbury, MA, graduate of Harvard in 1773, taught at Andover Grammar School in 1774, first Principal of Phillips Academy 1778-1786. In 1806 he helped found the Andover Theological Seminary. Pearson moved to Harvard, MA in 1820 and died on Sept. 12, 1826. It should be noted that the B&M Railroad had not yet been built, opened in 1848., but the Andover - Wilmington Railroad line 1838-1848 did cross on the upper east end of Pearson Street.
The property at this end of Pearson St. was once owned by Eliphalet Pearson. Pearson's land in Andover was sold by Trustees of his estate, Ephraim Abbot and Stephen Gardner, to Joshua Ward of Salem, MA on Dec. 25, 1830 for $1267. Ward purchased five parcels along Pearson St. and Essex St. in house lot parcels from the estate. The deed was recorded on Feb. 26, 1835.
Lots #10 & #11 here on the south side of Pearson St. were part of the third parcel on land. Lots #2 and #3 to the rear on Essex St. were in the first parcel. Joshua Ward began sell off house lots on March 3, 1835. Ward sold lots 10 - 11 and 2 to Jeremiah Goldsmith Jr. and Stephen Lovejoy on April 28, 1845. Ward drew a map plan on the back of the deeds showing nine lots with the owners names. (see b. 260 leaf 144)
Goldsmith & Lovejoy then sold lots 10 & 11 on Pearson St. to John Bailey. Bailey had purchased a third parcel from Jacob Chickering on Nov. 15, 1844 for $475. Both Bailey deeds were recorded on Nov. 28, 1845. Bailey was also a builder
George L. Abbott acquired the lot from Goldsmith on Dec. 16, 1850 for $500, Two years later George L. sells the property for $1100 to William Abbott 2nd, a "Trader", wife Sarah J. on Jan. 1, 1852. In the deed it states ...."together with the the dwelling house which I have placed on it." This home is the cottage house stated in all the deeds in later purchases. William Abbot 2nd built the two family home and store at 53 Essex St. and this parcel was part of that to. William held the property for 11 years then selling to Nathan B. Abbott on June 15, 1863.
Nathan B. Abbott sold off theCottage house and lot to William & Rosanah "Rose" Higgins on Aug. 17, 1863. The lot fronted of both 34 Pearson St. and 49 Essex St. The 1880 census lists William, b. 1815 in Ireland age 65, Flax Dresser, wife Rosanah age 70 b. 1810 Ireland, and two daughters both born in Ireland and working at Smith & Dove Co., Jane age 30 and Catherine Kelly age 32, and grand-daughter Rosanah Kelly age 5. The Cottage House was owned by Higgins for 26 years before selling to George Stewart for $1500. on June 7, 1889.
George Stewart transferred the property, via Joseph A. Smart, to Sarah A. Stewart on Nov. 29, 1892. George B. Stewart was born in Jan. 1825 in Scotland and was a flax dresser at Smith & Dove Co. His with Sarah Ann (Bushfield) b. June 1828 in England, daughter of John & Elizabeth Bushfield. Sarah Ann died on Mar. 9, 1902 and George died on Dec. 10, 1903. Son John W. Stewart of Lowell & Martha Smart, wife of Joseph A. Smart held the property at the time of its sale in 1904.
Annie Maria McMillan purchased the Cottage house on Mar. 21, 1904. McMillan had the property for five years then sold this home to David Waldie, wife Margaret on June 28, 1909. Annie, living in the home built on the rear of the lot at 49 Essex St. kept that home for herself.
Hugh Corey purchased the house the following year on Dec. 7, 1910. Corey owned for 18 years then sells to Edward McCarthy on Nov. 16, 1928. The property deed was transferred through Ramona G. Gagnon, to Edward McCarthy & John P. McCarthy on June 23, 1934.Edward McCarthy died on Nov. 30, 1945 and John P. McCarthy then held the deed. McCarthy family owned the home for 66 years.
Edward Bodenrader executed a deed transfer to John P. McCarthy on Dec. 12, 1972. It was then placed in John P. McCarthy and Joan Morrison names as “right of survivor ship” on May 3, 1986. The house then went to Edward J. & Esther K. McCarthy on Sept. 21, 1988.
Peter & Maura Grimanis purchased the property on May 31, 1994 and held for five years.
Mark & Amy Christensen purchased the house on June 29, 1999
Michael G. & Mary Jane Bausemer - Sept. 30, 2003
Shawn L. Newell & Catherine R. Brinkley - June 14, 2014
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover - Sarah L. Bailey -"Academies" p. 537
An Abstract Decennial Valuation of Town of Andover - 1850
See deed b. 290 leaf 144 - Joshua Ward's map of lots 1835
See Map #1852 - Dec. 1947 - Edward O'Hagan
Eliphalet Pearson estate, Trustees Ephriam Abbot, Stephen Gardner - Sept. 12, 1826
Nathan W. Hazen, Esg.
Jeremiah Goldsmith Jr. & Stephen Lovejoy - b. 290 leaf 143 - lots 10 & 11
Jacob Chickering -
John Bailey - Nov. 15, 1844 - b. 361 leaf 100 - $450.
Jeremiah Goldsmith Jr., wife Elizabeth - May 10, 1845 - $150 - lot #8
George L. Abbott - Dec. 16, 1850 - b. 438 leaf 46 - $500
William Abbott 2nd, wife Sarah J. - Jan. 1, 1852 - b. 456 leaf 216 - $1100.
Nathan B. Abbott, Wife Elizabeth - June 15, 1863 - b. 652 leaf 254 - $3500
William & Rose Higgins - Aug. 17, 1863 - b. 661 leaf 172 - $950 - lot w/cottage
George Stewart - June 7, 1889 - b. 101 p. 63
Joseph A. Smart - Nov. 29, 1892 - b. 122 p. 483
Sarah A. Stewart - Nov. 29, 1892 - b. 122 p. 483
John Stewart & Martha Stewart - 1904
Annie Maria McMillan - Mar. 21, 1904 - b. 210 p. 332
David Waldie, wife Margaret - June 28, 1909 - b. 276 p. 528
Hugh Corey - Dec. 7, 1910 - b. 299 p. 445
Edward McCarthy - Nov. 16, 1928 - b. 543 p. 325
Ramona G. Gagnon - June 23, 1934 - b. 579 p. 426
Edward McCarthy & John P. McCarthy - June 23, 1934 - b. 579 p. 426
Edward McCarthy estate, John P. McCarthy - Nov. 30, 1945
Edward Bodenrader - Dec. 12, 1972 - b. 1208 p. 453
Edward Bodenrader - Dec. 12, 1972 - b. 1208 p. 453
John P. McCarthy - Dec. 12, 1972 - b. 1208 p. 454
Joan Morrison and John P. McCarthy – May 3, 1986 – b. 2206 p. 306
Edward J. & Esther McCarthy – Sept. 21, 1988 – b. 2810 p. 89
Peter & Maura K. Grimanis – May 31, 1994 – b. 4054 p. 340
Mark & Amy Christensen – June 29, 1999 - b. 5479 p 116
Michael G. & Mary Jane Bausemer - Sept. 30, 2003 - b. 8295 p. 86
Shawn L. Newell & Catherine R. Brinkley - June 14, 2014 - b. 13900 p. 75
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Higgins - McCarthy Cottage House|
|Construction Date||circa 1850 - 1852|
|Architectural Style||Gothic Revival|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Acreage||0.4236 acre; 1,845 sq. ft. 43' frontage|
|Map and parcel||55-59|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 1/5/2015|