Elegant house - Greek Revival - 3 stories, porch appears to..?, cross-axial form; columns, long windows.
Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Education.
This lot was purchased by Herman P. Chandler on Oct. 9, 1855 from Moses Clement, an Andover house-wright. Herman P. Chandler had the home built
shortly there after. The deed provided a restriction "Provided no shops or buildings shall be erected thereon that shall be prejudicial to the neighborhood and good dwelling houses."
Herman Phelps Chandler was born on Dec. 19, 1801 in Andover, son of Nathan 3rd & Lucy (Ballard) Chandler. Herman P. a yeoman, married on Feb. 17, 1831 to Phebe Abbot Ballard. Herman owned a farm at the corner of Dascomb and Lovejoy Roads. (4 Lovejoy). Herman P. & Phebe had four children:Herman George b. Mar. 28, 1832, Phebe Maria b. Nov. 18, 1838, William Henry b. July 31, 1839 and Albert Ballard b. Oct. 18, 1847. They became members of West Parish Church by letter on Mar. 1, 1839, remained for 20 years then joined South Church on May 1, 1859. Herman sold the West Parish farm in 1855. The 1860 Valuation list H. P. Chandler in the Center District: Dwelling house, barn and 1/2 acre lot $3100. House and land in Ballardvale $225. 23 acre Osgood Pasture, $420, 18 acres $720, 3 acre Boutwell land $50 = $4515 assessment. His farm stock $310 and 12 shares of B&M RR stock $1212.
Herman P. died on Jan. 9, 1862 age 60, leaving the property to his wife Phebe. Son H. George received the house in Ballardvale and the Osgood Pasture. William who lived in Plattsburg, NY was released from his debts to his father. Albert Ballard, a minor, did not receive money as his father had "spent considerable money on his education". He left is up to his mother to invest in Albert's continued education. Albert enlisted during the Civil War, served 6th NY Cavalry and died at Clarysville Hospital, Maryland on May 11, 1865 age 17y 6m 24d. Daughter Phebe M. had died on Dec. 3, 1858. They are interred in South Parish Cemetery.
Mrs. Herman P. Chandler, was known as Aunt Phebe and continued to live in the home. Phebe sold the property for $6000 to Orraville A. Morrill, wife of Joseph H. Morrill of Lawrence on March 31, 1883. Phebe died on March 7, 1894.
Joseph Morrill was a baker from Lawrence. The Morrill family owned the property for 31 years. After the death of Mrs. Morrill it appears the property went to daughter Mary E. Morrill. Mary E. Merrill was an Abbot Academy teacher for whom Merrill Memorial Gateway was named. At the time of sale to the Trustees of Abbot Academy in December 1914, Mary sells the home with the provision that her father shall have a life tenancy in the home. At Morrill's death Abbot Academy "greatly remodeled" the home. The house was rented by Judge Jeremiah J. Mahoney and in the 1940's occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Irving Southworth. When Abbot Academy merged with Phillips Academy the property was deeded over to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on June 30, 1973. The Home was known as Chandler Cottage during the Academies ownership.
Phillips Academy sold the property to Edmond & Carol Elowe on June 5, 1975. In 1992 John & Mary Myers occupied the home. It was later purchased by Franklin L. & Carol M. Kaplan in 1993 who owned for 12 years. William G. & Karen K. Carey purchased the property in Jan. 2005 and held for six years. The Scully family is the current owners of record as of Aug. 20, 2011.
Ballard for his daughter. 1969 added classroom - Phillips Academy dorm.
Essex Country Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Abbot Academy Histories
1992 Andover Preservation Award
Moses Clement -
Herman Phelps & Phoebe A. Chandler - Oct. 9, 1855 - b. 521 leaf 201 - 22089 sq. ft. lot
Herman P. Chandler estate, Phoebe A. Chandler heir - Jan. 9, 1862 - Probate
Orraville A. Morrill, wife of Joseph H. - Mar. 31, 1883 - b. 71 p. 362
Mary E. Morrill heir
Trustees of Abbot Academy - Dec. 22, 1914 - b. 349 p. 443
Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 30, 1873 - b. 1222 p. 85 (p.88 Para. 8)
Edmond & Carol Elowe - June 5, 1975 - b. 1261 p. 105
John & Mary Myers - 1992
Franklin L. & Carole M. Kaplan - Apr. 23, 1993 - b. p.
34 School St. Realty Trust - Franklin L. & Carole M. Kaplan - Apr. 23, 1998 - b. 5034 p. 183
34 School St. Realty Trust - Franklin L. & Carole M. Kaplan - Nov. 5, 1998 - b. 5232 p. 169
34 School St. Realty Trust - Franklin L. & Carole M. Kaplan - Jan. 12, 1999 - b. 5308 p. 273
34 School St. Realty Trust - Franklin L. & Carole M. Kaplan - Oct. 8, 2002 - b. 7172 p. 260
34 School St. Realty Trust - Franklin L. & Carole M. Kaplan - Oct. 31, 2002 - b. 7231 p. 20
William G. & Karen K. Carey - Jan. 22, 2005 - b. 9304 p. 320
Mathew J. & Shannon I. Scully - Aug. 20, 2011 - b. 12596 p. 331
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Chandler, Herman Cottage - Phillips Academy|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||1920's altered|
|Acreage||0.546 one acre, 23,780 sq. ft. , 198' frontage|
|Map and parcel||74-12|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/22/15|