NRDIS NRMRA LHD
Style: Federal - Greek Revival
Other features: good doorway - dentil work and fluted pilasters
Themes: Architectural, Community development
This property was owned by Samuel Abbott & William Abbott and was sub-divided into house lots in 1848. The Abbotts also owned across the street and created the development on Oak Street. The partners sold this 9000 sq. foot lot to Jessie M. Ray of Somerville, MA on June 7, 1848. Jessie was a cabinet maker and carpenter. He may have built the house, and did the finish work. Jessie was married on March 16, 1844 in Tewksbury to Laurania Clark. Jessie took a $600. mortgage from Philemon R. Russell of Boston on Apr. 27, 1849. The deed included the lot with buildings. The 1850 Andover Valuation Schedule lists non-resident Jessie M. Ray of Medford, Dwelling house $2000.
It appears the Jessie may have built this home as income property as we find him in Cambridge-port in 1851 - 1857 and in Lawrence in 1861. We do know that he defaulted on his loan and Philemon R. Russell entered the property on May 15th and took possession of the house on May 16, 1859. Russell had the property four years.
Silas H. Holland, wife Sarah would purchase the mortgage from Russell recorded Apr. 30, 1863 for $695. Holland then sold the home to George W. Ryley, wife Elizabeth on Jan. 1, 1863. George W. then transferred the deeds into his wife Elizabeth's name. Several parcels were acquired by Elizabeth including the adjoining lot #1 on the SW corner of Tewksbury and Center Streets. (Darracott map 1848) Lot #1 was owned by the Ballard Vale Union Society. Elizabeth also acquired the John Marland estate on Andover Street. Ryley owned for eleven years. The 1870 Valuation Schedule list Mrs. Geo. Ryley - South District - House $5200., barn $800., Greenhouse $400. Farmhouse $500. 27 acres $1600. Farm Stock & Carriages $300. The Farmhouse may have been 21 Tewksbury St.
Charlotte E. Haynes, wife of Bancroft T. Haynes purchased the property (first parcel in deed) on Mar. 26, 1874 for $3250. The Haynes family would own the home for 56 years.
Bancroft Thomas Haynes was born in April 1850, in Trenton, Maine, son of William & Roxalanna (Thomas) Haynes. In 1870 Bancroft , age 19, is living in Andover with his brother Felix H. Haynes, a Grocery & Dry Goods merchant. Bancroft is a Clerk in the store. Bancroft married on Nov. 3, 1873 in Andover to Charlotte "Lottie" E. Silbey b. Mar. 18, 1853 in Boston, dau. of Henry D. & Lucy Jane Silbey. Bancroft became a partner in the business F.G. Haynes & Co. Retail Grocers at the corner of Andover & River Streets. Haynes was also a self taught artist who painted landscapes. In 1881 he painted a view of Ballardvale center, showing the store building he owned, now in the collection of the Andover Historical Society. Bancroft & Charlotte would have four children; William Henry b. Aug. 6, 1874 - d. 1875, Edmund Bancroft b. Oct. 14, 1875 - d. May 2, 1936, Delphine Thomas - b. Feb. 1879 - d. 1954 and Elizabeth A. Dudley b. Feb. 11, 1880 - d. 1964.
In the 1880 census, the Haynes family also has Henry W. Silbey, age 29, brother of Charlotte, living with them. He is a private clerk but unemployed for six months. A servant Emily J. Dow age 25 from Nova Scotia is in the home. Charlotte E. died young at age 30 on Oct. 11, 1883 of consumption. Her estate went to her husband and children. Bancroft T. would later re-marry on Dec. 28, 1898 to Elizabeth Jane (Slater) Hodgkins b. June 1856 in England, dau. of Charles & Nancy (Bennett) Slater. She immigrated with her parents to US in 1868 to Rhode Island. It was also her second marriage. Bancroft Haynes died on Feb. 25, 1929 and his estate was administered by Clover Stone. It has been state that Bancroft Haynes was also an artist. from 1910 to his death. The Haynes children were heirs to the estate. Edmond B.Haynes, wife Leah, Delphine H. Baldwin, wife of Charles B. and Elizabeth D. Pratt, wife of Thomas Pratt. Edmund and his sister Delphine lived in Winchester, MA. Elizabeth Pratt lived on Central St. in Andover at the corner of Lupine Rd.
His widow Eliza Jane moved to Beverly then to Providence RI in 1944.
Haynes family sold the house to Arthur F. & Ella F. Ryder on Aug. 21, 1930. Ryder owned just 9 moths then selling to Helen M. (Ryder) Coon, wife of Howard Ames Coon on May 1, 1931. Howard A. Coon was an artist and teacher. Born Mat 7, 1890 in DeRuyter, NY he studied at the Rhode Island School of Design 1907-10 & 1911-12. For many years taught art at Abbot Academy. His brother Raymond H. Coon was the music teacher at Abbot and also an accomplished artist. Howard painted several Ballardvale subjects in oils and watercolors. Several are on display at the Memorial Hal Library. Howard & Helen had four children; Eleanor, Arthur, Rowena and Howard Jr.They lived here 12 years then moved to Gloucester.
Edward J. & Agnes E. Lefebvre then purchased the property on Sept. 3, 1943 and stayed six years. Rudolph A. & Hazel I. Fitts owned from Dec. 10, 1949 to Sept. 23, 1960.
John D. & Carol Deborah Brown purchased the home on Sept. 23, 1960 and the deed was placed in Carol Deborah Brown's name on Apr. 28, 1971. Carol would later put the deed in both her name and her son Thomas E. Brown on Apr. 4, 1987. The property then went to Joseph & Sue N. Collins - Nov. 30, 1987.
Brian J. & Angela Tully Zinsmeister purchased the property on July 31, 1989 and continue as owners of record in 2016. They have taken great care of restoring the home.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, Sarah Loring Bailey 1880
Andover, A Century of Change, Eleanor Richardson 1995
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files
see also: Barn Survey
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1882, 1888, 1906
Ballard Vale Machine Shop house and store lots 1848 - by Franklin Darracott
Map plan #4104 - May 1960 - Fitts lot 1
Map plan #10639 - Jan. 21, 1987 - Carlo D. Brown parcel B
Samuel Abbott & William Abbott - 1848 - land
Jessie M. Ray, wife Lauronia C. - June 7, 1848 - b. 398 leaf 211 - house lot
Philemon R. Russell - Apr. 27, 1849 - b. 416 leaf 222 - $600 mtg to Ray
Philemon R. Russell - May 16, 1859 - b. 586 leaf 300 - Possession - mtg. deed
Silas H. Holland, wife Sarah - Apr. 30, 1863 - b. 636 leaf 139 - $695 - mgt. assignment
George W. Ryley [Riley], wife Elizabeth Jan. 1, 1863 rec. Apr. 3, 1863 - b. 649 leaf 205 & 206
David Howarth - Mar. 21, 1863 - b. 649 leaf 207 & 208 - deed transfer
Elizabeth Ryley - Mar. 21, 1863 - b. 649 leaf 207 & 208
George W. & Elizabeth Ryley - Feb. 24, 1864 - several parcels on Tewksbury St.
Samuel Little & George J. Tenney - Dec. 23, 1864 - b. 680 leaf 58
Charlotte E. Haynes - Mar. 26, 1874 - b. 27 p. 84 - $3250 (first parcel)
Charlotte E. Haynes estate, heirs - Bancroft T. Haynes, Edmund B. Haynes, Delphine T. Baldwin, Elizabeth A. Pratt
Arthur F. & Ella F. Ryder - Aug. 21, 1930 - b. 554 p. 325
Helen M. Coon, wife of Howard A. - May 1, 1931 - b. 573 p. 216
Edward J. & Agnes E. Lefebvre - Sept. 3, 1943 - b. 659 p. 379
Rudolph A. & Hazel I. Fitts - Dec. 10, 1949 - b. 730 p. 586
John D. & Carol Deborah Brown - Sept. 23, 1960
Carol Deborah Brown - Apr. 28, 1971 - b. 1169 p. 712
Carol Deborah Brown and Thomas E. Brown - Apr. 4, 1987 - b. 2470 p. 57
Joseph & Sue N. Collins - Nov. 30, 1987 - b. 2635 p. 305
Brian J. & Angela Tully Zinsmeister - July 31, 1989 - b. 2972 p. 305
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Ray - Ryley - Haynes House|
|Construction Date||1848 - 1849|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||clapboarded barn|
|Acreage||0.504 acre; lot size: 38,460 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 135'|
|Map and parcel||157-79|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/10/2016|