"Green - Cunningham House" was originally at #316 North Main & Poor Streets "Back Row", on the current (2016) site of Wood Park. Then moved to Haverhill St. at the site of the AWCo. Administration Building (Balmoral Condominiums) in 1921 and then to 35 - 37 Balmoral St. 1922.
This home was once owned by the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. about 1890, a two family tenement for employees of the company. The house was built on the west side of North Main Street on the current Wood Park. When Smith & Dove relocated to Abbott Village (Dundee Park) they began to sell off their properties in Frye Village. All seven homes on that location were sold to George H. Carlisle of Lawrence on May 3, 1907.
Carlisle then surveyed the properties and divided them up into single lots. This home was located at #316 North Main St. and not part of the Carlisle parcel. It was then owned by Cunningham and sold to Wood. With the plan to create a Park in the center of the village the homes were moved off the lot to various locations. This home was moved to Haverhill Street an was sited on the NW corner of the current Balmoral Building, the former AWCo Administration Building. It was moved in 1922 to the present location.
This home was saved to became part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were John & Margaret L. Collins at #35. John was a laborer and Margaret a clerk. in Lawrence. At #37 was Rudolph W. & Helen Schultz. Rudolph was a chef for the American Woolen Co.
In 1943 Edward J. & Doris C. Coleman were residents at #35. Edward was assistant manager of Kresgee in Lawrence. At #37 were William A. & Nancy H. Page. WIlliam was station engineer in Lowell.
This house was sold to Alan M. Guild, wife Bessie A. and Elsa Guild on Jan. 2, 1945. The property was transferred over to Elsa Guild on Sept. 22, 1947 and then to Granville C. & Janet E. Guild on Jan. 28, 1954. The Guild family owned the property for 59 years then selling to Robert J. Madruge, Trustee of the Balmoral Realty Nominee Trust on Aug. 10, 2004.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot #19
William M. Wood -
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel
Alan M. Guild & Elsa Guild - Jan. 2, 1945 - b. 670 p. 68
Felicia Sholik - Sept. 22, 1947 - b. 702 p. 402
Elsa Guild - Sept. 22, 1947 - b. 702 p. 403
Granville C. & Janet E. Guild - Jan. 28, 1954 - b. 787 p. 249
Balmoral Realty Nominee Trust, Robert J. Madruge, Tr. - Aug. 10, 2004 - b. 9055 p. 20
David F. & Mary Ellen McDermitt - Aug. 31, 2005 - b. 9741 p. 351
Mark D. Walsh - Nov. 30, 2010 - b. 12305 p. 195
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Green - Cunningham House|
|Present Use||residences - 4 family|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||1830 - 1840's|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Move Details||1921 and 1922|
|Map and parcel||36-52|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/3/2015, 2/28/2016|