Contemporary nod to Gothic Revival
present owner Townsend, Robert and Margaret 10/16/57.
Later owner - Marshall, Clifford E. and Ruth S. 1/17/41.
Themes - Architectural and Community Development
31-33 -35 Essex Street
This property, now part of the St. Augustine’s Church “Center for Education & Ministry” building was previously two separate lots with residences on both parcels. Lot number one #31-#33 Essex St. housed a large duplex structure and lot #35 held a single family home that had been converted into professional offices. The new classroom building and meeting hall was designed by former Andover architect George Namour and is a contemporary nod to the main church sanctuary next door. The three gothic pointed windows mimic the those of the church dividing the brick faced front façade, a symbolic reference to the Trinity. The east side and rear of the building is faced in tan stucco with banding to break up the large mass of blank walls. The west side and main entrance has a tower resembling a steeple with glass windows and doors to bring natural light into the educational spaces and function rooms.
This land was once owned by Jacob Chickering about 1841 as part of his homestead lot extending up Essex Street to #25-#27. He built his home at #29 Essex St. Jacob Chickering was a master carpenter and house wright. Many homes including #28 and #34 Essex St. and in town were constructed by Chickering. He later turned his talent to piano construction (about 1856), building his factory between Essex St. & Pearson Streets. Here he manufactured the cases for the Chickering pianos which were then sent to his Boston shop to be fitted with the internal mechanisms. Jacob b. Aug. 2, 1806 married Sarah Jane McMurphy b. Aug. 7, 1810. They had six children. Jacob died on March 31, 1887 and the homestead was inherited by his wife Sarah Jane and their remaining four children. The property was quit claimed to their mother Sarah in Dec. 1887. Sarah died on March 26, 1893. Otis purchased the property on Nov. 26, 1897 for $2750. from the Chickering estate.
Otis Chickering divided up the homestead lot selling off three parcels, #29 the Chickering Homestead was sold to Margaret English. #31-#33 an empty lot went to Eliza Connolly in April 1901. Timothy Hickey purchased the remaining lot at #25-#27 Essex St. on May 1, 1901 for $800. The house at #35 now the official number of the Education building, was sold by Jacob Chickering in Oct. 1864.
The duplex house lot was probably built by James H. & Elizabeth Connolly. It was sold to Ann Hession, wife of Patrick Hession in May 1912 after the death of Elizabeth Connolly. At some point the house was divided and half #33 was deeded to Catherine Lonergan. #31 remained with Anna Hession. When both owners died and the estates were settled the entire building was sold to James H. & Annette D. Williams in Aug. 8, 1960. Ann Tarmey acquired the duplex in Aug. 16, 1983 and in Sept. 1989 both Ann Tarmey & Kris L. Williams owned jointly. St. Mary’s Church Society of Lawrence, MA purchased the property in Feb. 2000 and was then deeded to the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Boston on May 10, 2006. The house at #35 was acquired by the church in Feb. 2001. Both houses were razed for the construction of the building.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence,
Andover Historical Society files
Andover Buildiing Survey 1974-75
Jacob Chickering – May 18, 1872 – b. 14 p. 528 mtg. ASB, $2000. Present Homestead lot.
Sarah Jane Chickering – Dec. 31, 1887 – b. 94 p. 371
Sarah Jane Chickering Estate – Feb. 21, 1896 – b. 145 p. 112 release died 1893
Otis Chickering – Nov. 26, 1897 – b. 160 p. 228 – Jacob Chickering Homestead land
Elizabeth Connolly & James H. husband– April 18, 1901 – b. 184 p. 173
James H. Connolly – Heir
Ann Hession, wife of Patrick – May 29, 1912 – b. 317 p. 114
Patrick Hession by will of Ann Hession estate
Anna M. Greeley conservator of estate #31 - Joseph C. Sullivan – Trustee
Catherine Lonergan – Estate Probate #249164
Heirs; Thomas Lonergan, Thomas Lonergan Jr,. James F. Lonergan,
Thomas F. Lonergan – May 9, 1960 – b. 921 p. 372 deed #2 half the house #33
Joseph C. Sullivan – Trustee – Aug. 8, 1960 b. 921 p. 372 deed #1 half the house #31
James H. & Annette D. Williams – Aug. 8, 1960 two deeds – b. 921 p. 372 and 373 from
Charles F. Dalton, Extr. – Aug. 18, 1980 – probate Williams Estate
Ann Tarmey – Aug. 16, 1983 – b. 1709 p. 280
Ann Tarmey & Kris L. Williams – Sept. 18, 1989 – b. 3068 p. 36 right of survivorship
St. Mary’s Church Society, Lawrence, MA – Feb. 16, 2000 – b. 5679 p. 301
Roman Catholic Archbishop of Boston – May 10, 2006 – b. 10173 p. 129
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Center for Education & Ministry|
|Present Use||Center for Education & Ministry|
|Source||style-njs, ERDS, ENRDL|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Two houses on lot fronting Essex St.|
|Major Alterations||Houses razed for construction 2003-4|
|Acreage||less than one acre; 3,250 sq. ft. and 46' approximate frontage|
|Map and parcel||55-62A|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 3/2014|