This home was built as a five bay, center entrance Colonial in the Greek Revival period, with an open ground floor porch. The two story porch projection is a 20th century addition to the front facade. See period image of St. Augustine's Church below.
This property was owned by Jacob Chickering, an Andover House-wright. Chickering sold the lot of land for $450. on Apr. 13, 1844 to Sarah Dole, Mary Holt and Sarah Dole, Trustees for Lydia A. (Dole) White, wife of Thomas White, Husbandman. The Trust gave them both life tenancy to the property. Lydia Dole b. 1810, married Thomas White on Dec. 25, 1835 in Andover.
Sarah Dole was born in Georgetown, MA in 1776, daughter of Greenleaf & Mary (Moar) Dole. Mary (Dole) Holt was born in 1790 and married on Feb. 17, 1839 to Isaac Holt Jr. Isaac, a laborer, died of Consumption on Jan. 29, 1848 age 53. He was the son of Isaac & Tibitha Holt.
The 1855 State Census lists, Sarah Dole age 80, Mary Holt age 65 and Lydia White age 45.
With the death of Lydia (Dole) White her heirs, Ralph, Francis, John P., Charles, Mehitable P., Ansel P., Lucy, and Sophia Ann Dole quit claim deed to Sarah Dole and Mary (Dole) Holt on Oct. 1, 1858. They remained three more years then selling the property. Sarah Dole died on Aug. 10, 1864 at age 88 years.
Moses Foster Jr., wife Caroline H. bought the property for for $555. on May 14, 1861. Foster held for two and a half years. When he sold to John Sullivan on Dec. 15, 1863 he mentioned in the deed "with additional building and improvements which I have made. Sullivan paid $1000 for the property. Sullivan had the home for five years then sold to Daniel Donovan, a Painter, on July 22, 1868. The property remained with the Donovan family for 50 years.
John J. Kelly purchased the home on May 16, 1918. Kelly took a mortgage with the Andover Savings Bank but defaulted on the loan and it was taken by possession and sold to Mary E. Pasho on July 21, 1928 and held for 24 years. Phillip E. & Marjorie T. Pasho then purchased the house on July 24, 1952.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
1852 Andover Map
Jacob Chickering, wife Sarah - lot
Lydia A. (Dole) White, Trust, Sarah Dole, Mary Holt, Sarah Dole; Trustees - Apr. 13, 1844 - b. 345 leaf 73
Lydia (Dole) White estate, heirs, Dole:
Ralph, Francis, John P., Charles, Mehitable P., Ansel P., Lucy, Sophia Ann Dole quit claim
Sarah Dole and Mary (Dole) Holt - Oct. 1, 1858 - b. 589 leaf 177
Moses Foster Jr., wife Caroline H. - May 14, 1861 - b. 623 leaf 37
John Sullivan, wife Ellen - Dec. 15, 1863 - b. 659 leaf 106
Daniel Donovan - July 22, 1868 - b. 751 leaf 142 Salem deeds
Daniel Donovan estate, dau. Margaret Donovan heir, Probate
John J. Kelly - May 16, 1918 - b. 386 p. 241
Andover Savings Bank - May 16, 1918 - b. 386 p. 242 mgt.
Mary Coffey - May 16, 1918 - b. 386 p. 243 - possession
Mary E. Pasho - July 21, 1928 - b. 541 p. 473
Phillip E. & Marjorie T. Pasho - July 24, 1952 - b. 765 p. 183
Marjorie T. Pasho heir, Phillip died July 20, 1970 - Probate
John T. & Marilyn O'Conner - Sept. 15, 1978 - b. 1351 p. 130
Won-Yop & Young-Hei Kim - Dec. 18, 1987, rec. Jan 29, 1988 b. 2671 p. 60
Man-Shik & Hyesoon Kim - Oct. 1, 1990 - b. 3170 p. 211
Hyesoon Kim - Mar. 2, 2006 - b. 10060 p. 305
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Dole - Donovan House|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||circa 1844|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||The front porch two story projection is a 20th century addition to the house. Replacement windows, and aluminum siding cover original wood clapboards.|
|Map and parcel||38-4|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jan. 2, 2015|