The Abiel Stevens Farmstead is the earliest house on this section of River Road. The five-bay, two-story center-entry farmhouse with a kitchen ell and connected woodshed/tool room now converted to residential use. A large 1-1/2-story barn (1866) adjoins the northeast corner, forming a semi-enclosed barnyard area between the house and barn. One story bedroom additions have been added to the west side of the house and original kitchen ell, and the house is now sheathed in aluminum siding.
Themes: Agricultural, Architectural, Community development
Assessor's records indicate that the house was constructed in 1816. One deed (Bk 158 p 368) notes that the seven-acre property was conveyed to Abiel Stevens by James Chandler, Jr. in 1817, and to Stevens by Timothy Poor Esq.and Timothy Bailey, Jr. in 1825. Abiel Stevens was born about 1792 and married Pamelia Stevens b. 1757 on July 12, 1815. Abiel & Pamelia had five children: Abiel b. Oct. 1, 1815 d. Nov. 12, 1822, Parmelia Ann b. Mar. 6, 1817, Benjamin b. Feb. 16, 1819 d. Feb. 23, 1881, a son b. Feb. 27, 1829 and Enoch Otis baptized on Aug. 25, 1833.
Pamelia became a member of the West Parish Church on July 6, 1828 (#112). Abiel died Feb. 4, 1856, age 64, leaving the property to his son Enoch O. Stevens. Abiel's wife Parmelia died on Aug. 5, 1857 at the age of 100 years 25 days. Both are interred at West Parish Cemetery. Enoch was married to a Mary R. and they had a daughter Hattie P. b. 1860 d. Aug. 9, 1886 age 25y 11m. In 1890, the town published an assessment of all property in the town. Enoch O. Steven's house was valued at $850, the barn at $500, and 31.5 acres of land at $850. Mary died on Oct. 15, 1888 and Enoch O. on Feb. 16, 1895, age 63y 10m. The property was then sold out of the family to George E. Kline, wife Mary E. on Oct. 20, 1897.
George Goldsmith & Sarah E. Goldsmith have the deed on Dec. 18, 1901. George died on April 4, 1912 at 72y 1m 14d. and his widow Sarah remained in the home. Sarah died on Oct. 27,1922 at age 79y 10m 18d. Both are interred at West Parish Cemetery. Sarah's heirs Mary F. Fitzpatrick & Josephine D. Durant inherit the property Oct. 27, 1922. Sarah E. Goldsmith was the guardian of Josephine Durant on Jan. 13, 1927 via Probate court as Josephine was declared insane. Her share was then transferred to Ira B. & Emma F. Hill on Jan. 13, 1927 as one half undivided portion of the estate. Mary's husband Daniel Fitzpatrick then acquires the Hill portion on Apr. 29, 1927.
Daniel Fitzpatrick estate, Susan Carmichael Extrx - June 3, 1948 left it to Mary and Daniel Fitzpatrick. John Greenwood bought the property from Fitzpatrick's estate, and Frank W. Donahue (no relation to present Donahue in 1976) purchased the farm from Greenwood in 1948. The present owners purchased the property in 1972.
The Abiel Stevens homestead is the oldest house remaining on this section of River Road. River Road, however, was still relatively rural in 1975 and other sections contained a number of old farms which have since been razed and developed.
1. Greenwood, John Jr. & Irene
2. Donahue, Frank W. & Ester V., 22 Jun 1948
3. Donahue Frank W. & Judith B., 13 Jun 1969
4. Donahue, Francis & Carole Jean, - 18 Aug 1972
1906 pl. 21 Hardy Farm
1888 Donovan Brothers
1881 Nathan Shattuck's daughter Sarah Bailey & Augusta P. Jenkins?? sells parcel to Mary Donovan.
1850 Valuation: Nathan Shattuck
Added in 1987: (ERROR in Stevens purchase)
Essex County Registry of Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See Charlotte Helen Abbot (CHA) re Donovan & Shattuck (West Parish)
Interview with Frank & Carole Jean Donahue (24 Oct 1987)
James Chandler Jr. - 1817
Abiel Stevens, wife Pamelia - Sept. 13, 1817 - b. 213 leaf 179 - 7a 36 rods
Abiel Stevens fromTimothy Poor Esq. & Timothy Bailey Jr. - Sept. 18, 1825 - b. 238 leaf 201
Abiel Stevens estate, Enoch O. Stevens, Heir - Apr. 1856 - Abiel d. Feb. 4, 1856
Enoch O. Stevens, estate, Pamela Stevens heir - Feb. 15, 1895 - 7a 36 rods
Mary Huntington, Charles Stevens, Leonard S. Stevens, Lizzie Frances Bailey, Charles W. Bailey, heirs of Pamela
George E. Kline, wife Mary E. - Oct. 20, 1897 - b. 158 p. 368 - 7a 36 rods
Sarah E. Goldsmith - June 15, 1900 - b. 179 p. 254 -
George & Sarah E. Goldsmith - Dec. 18, 1901 - b. 191 p. 23 - 7a 36 rods
George Goldsmith estate, Sarah E.heir - Apr. 20, 1912
Sarah E. Goldsmith estate, Mary F. Fitzpatrick & Josephine D. Durant heirs - Oct. 27, 1922
Sarah E. Goldsmith guardian of Josephine Durant Jan. 13, 1927 - Probate court.
Ira B. & Emma F. Hill - Jan. 13, 1927 - b. 531 p. 545 - 1/2 undivided half. of estate
Daniel Fitzpatrick - Apr. 29, 1927 - b. 531 p. 546 - 7a 36 rods
Daniel Fitzpatrick estate, Susan Carmichael Extrx - June 3, 1948 - Probate
John & Irene Greenwood, Jr. - June 7, 1948 - b. 711 p. 551
Franklin W. & Esther V. Donohue - June 27, 1948 - b. 711 p. 552 - portion of property
Frank W. & Judith B. Donohue, Jr. - June 30, 1969 - b. 1133 p. 48
Francis E. & Carole-Jean Donohue, Jr. - Aug. 17, 1972 - b. 1200 p. 166
Donohue Family Realty Trust - Feb. 28, 2000 - b. 5697 p. 58
Mark W. Gasparello - April 3, 2001 - b. 6083 p. 235
Mark W. Gasparello & Jannie Olsen - Feb. 26, 2007 - b. 10650 p. 115
Jannie Olsen - Sept. 25, 2007 - b. 10921 p. 118
|Place||West Andover - North School District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Abiel Stevens Farmstead|
|Present Use||Residence, 3 family|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||attached barn (1866)|
|Major Alterations||one-story bedrooms added c. 1960, 1978 Now converted into three family home|
|Acreage||4.92 acres; original acreage: 7.3 acres; approx. frontage: 234'|
|Setting||19th century farm complex set close to busy road|
|Map and parcel||126-6|
|Recorded by||N. J. Stack/Mofford; Peter H. Stott; Org: BU OPA, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977; 25 Oct 1987; 9/30/2015|