35 Summer Street

Historical Narrative: 

35 Summer Street – 39-147 – 0.533 acre
Cory – Harding – Parker

George H. French owned the property at 41 Summer St. in 1854 and sold this parcel to Job Cory (Corey) for $300 on March 24, 1856. The deed states that “Cory shall build all the fence between him and said French & maintain half the same…” Job then takes a mortgage of $1000 from Gamaliel Gleason, a bricklayer, The deed states “on one acre which I recently erected a dwelling house.”

Job Cory was born in Derby, VT, a painter, living in South Hadley, MA when he married on Nov. 29, 1849 to Sarah G. Morse b. 1831 in Alexandria, VA, living in Andover. Job & Sarah had three children; Charles Arthur b. Oct. 14, 1850 in Andover, Emma Elizabeth Dec. 23, 1852 in West Newbury, Sarah Elizabeth b. July 11, 1855 in Andover. It appears that Job moved to different towns for work and sold his home in Andover to Gamaliel Gleason, who held his mortgage, in August 1860. The 1860 Valuation of Gleason ‘s property included “Cory house on 1½ acre $750.” Gleason sold the Cory home to Samuel McLanathan Jr. on Oct. 18, 1860 for $1200.

Samuel McLanathan Jr. b. Westport, ME in 1814, son of Samuel & Kezia McLanathan, was a book agent. A widower twice, Samuel had four children when he married a third time to Harriett M. Edward on Feb. 13, 1860 in Portland, ME. Sam and Harriett had one daughter Annie Burr b. May 26, 1861 in Maine. Samuel died on April 11, 1863.

John Harding purchased the Cory place on August 28, 1860. John, born June 27, 1805 in Andover, was the son of John & Sarah (Houghton) Harding. His family home is at the corner of North Main and Harding Streets. John was a Trader, or Merchant, and had a shop in the basement of the Baptist Church. John married Nov. 1, 1835 to Hannah Abbot b. Oct. 4, 1802, (a twin), dau. of Stephen & Hannah (Russell) Abbot. Children: Josephine b. July 11, 1837 – d. July 28, 1838 and Hannah A. born Apr. 1840 in Hamilton, MA. Harding owned eight years then selling to his niece Catherine H. Parker, wife of Charles S. on July 15, 1871.

Charles Sumner Parker b. July 13, 1826, (a twin George H.) was son of Carlton & Mary Parker. Charles was a Carriage Painter when he married on Feb. 19, 1846 to Catherine Harding Lord, b. Sept. 3, 1825 in Manchester, CT, dau. of Edward & Charlotte S. (Harding) Lord. Catherine’s mother, Charlotte was John Harding’s sister. Charles & Catherine had two children: Florence Augusta b. Nov. 5, 1860 and Frederick Harding b. 1862 in Maine – d. July 17, 1880.

July 24, 1874 AA – Charles S. Parker has purchased of Joseph W. Foster half an acre of land on the south side of Park St. It measures 115 feet on the street. Mr. Parker will immediately build upon it a two story paint shop 75 X 40 feet. (His shop was at 43-45 Park St. now part of the municipal parking lot.)
Oct. 9, 1874 AA – The frame of the new wooden building of Charles S. Parker, on Park Street, has been raised and boarded. It is 75 feet long 40 feet wide with a truss roof and 73 windows. It is one of the largest buildings in the place, and will furnish ample accommodations for an extensive carriage manufactory, for which it is understood to be designed…..
Dec. 18, 1874 AA – Charles S. Parker has commenced the painting business at his new and commodious shop on Park Street.
April 14, 1876 - AA - James M. Crabtree, undertaker, has sold out to Charles S. Parker. Mr. Parker is favorable known in this community, and is well adapted to do the business he has undertaken. We have no doubt that his service will prove entirely satisfactory to those who have occasion to employ him.
The following week Mr. Crabtree returned home to England. He was an Undertaker in Andover for several years.
Aug. 11, 1893 AT – Retires from Business – Charles S. Parker undertaker – sold to Frank H. Messer of Stoneham – In business for 17 years – bought from James Crabtree.
Oct. 13, 1893 AT p.4 - Obit. Charles S. Parker – at his home on Elm St. [Summer St.] 67 years – early trade as a painter, then carriage painting business and for several years in charge of painting at the B & M railroad machine shops. About 17 years ago he purchased undertaking business of James Crabtree.

Catherine Parker died at age 62 on Sept. 30, 1887 and Charles on Oct. 9, 1893. Their daughter Florence A. Parker was deeded the property just prior of her mother’s death. Florence lived out her life in the home. Florence died on Feb. 7, 1934 and is interred at South Church Cemetery with her parents. The home was owned by the Parker family for 63 years.

John Everett & Elizabeth A. Collins purchased the home on July 17, 1934. John Everett Collins, born Apr. 27, 1894 Andover, son of John A. & Charlotte (McIntosh) Collins. J. Everett was an auditor for an Insurance company. He was an excellent athlete and musician. Everett married Elizabeth Carroll Abbott b. Oct. 29, 1894 in Andover, dau. of James J. & Lucy A (Blunt) Abbott. Elizabeth grew up in West Andover at 2 Reservation Rd. Everett was a well-known and respected resident of town. He established the Andover Men’s Chorus and conducted choirs his entire life. Everett also assisted with the high school choruses for many years. The J. Everett Collins Center for Performing Arts at the high school is named in his honor. Everett is the only member to be inducted into both the Andover Athletic Hall and Andover Fine Arts Hall of Fames. Everett and Elizabeth had four sons; John, James E., Roger and Raymond. After Elizabeth died on Jan 25, 1971, Everett sold their home on June 9, 1971 to Joseph & Sarah Landry. Everett died on August 8, 1986 in North Andover.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem. MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Ancestry.com - Crey, McLanathan, Parker, Collins
Andover Maps 1852, 1856, 1872, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules 1860, 1870, 1920

George H. French - 1854
Job Corey, wife Sarah G. – Mar. 24, 1856 – b. 527 leaf 236 - $300 1 acre
Gamaliel Gleason – Nov. 11, 1857 rec. Aug. 30, 1860 b. 611 leaf 46
Trustees of Phillips Academy – Aug. 28, 1860 – b. 612 leaf 81 mtg. deed
Gamaliel Gleason – Oct. 5, 1860 – b. 614 leaf 271 – 2nd parcel
Samuel McLanathan Jr., wife Harriet M. – Oct. 18, 1860 – b. 614 leaf 271 - $1200
Samuel McLanathan Jr. estate, Benj. Watson Adm. – 1863
John Harding – July 18, 1863 – b. 729 leaf 12 - $1125 at auction
Catherine H. Parker, wife of Charles S. – Jul 15, 1871 – b. 29 p. 69
Florence A. Parker – Sept. 12, 1887 – b. 94 p. 94
Florence A. Parker estate, Charles B. Baldwin Extr. – July 16, 1934 – Probate
John Everett & Elizabeth A. Collins – July 17, 1934 – b. 580 p. 153
Joseph H. & Sarah B. Landry – June 9, 1971 – b. 1172 p. 531
Joseph H. Landry – Aug.9, 1984 – b. 1855 p. 255
Joseph H. & Lynn R. Landry – June 28, 1985 – b. 1998 p. 269
Lynn M. Landry – Aug. 13, 2008 – b. 11282 p. 193

Inventory Data:

StreetSummer St
PlaceAndover Center District
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NameCory - Parker - Collins House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1855-1856
SourceERDS, NERDL, style,
Architectural StyleGreek Revival
Architect/BuilderJob Cory
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/TrimClapboard/wood/asbestos clad
Acreage0.533 acres
Map and parcel39-147
Recorded byJames S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date enteredMarch 10, 2019