Post Modern business building
Designed for the business it houses, space age look when constructed
Original owner Donald family (William Donald)
Themes - Architectural, Community Development.
This lot was once owned by the William Donald family and their former home was built about 100' north of this location facing south. When William M. Wood built Shawsheen Village 1918-1924, the Donald house was moved down to the current location and turned 90 degrees to face North Main Street. (see 357R North Main St) Miss Alice Donald was resident in white house next to Shawsheen Manor (Directory 1916). She was a descendant of Donald family who were early settlers at Frye Village (now Shawsheen Village).
The American Woolen Company was deeded the property on Dec. 30, 1920. (part of parcel #14) by Paul P. Binney. Binney was an indentured Trustee of the AMCo and had been purchasing land on their behalf and Willaim M. Wood's, prior to WWI. AMCo sold parcel #14 to Joseph DeAcutis on Jan. 12, 1931. The parcel contained the Shawsheen Manor, the Annex or dormitory, Garland House and the cottage. The Donald house was used in conjunction with the Manor Hotel and restaurant.
On May 6, 1953 the Donald Cottage was sold off to Edward S. & Katherine M. Moss. Moss owned two years then sold to Nicholas R. & Stella R. Mulick on Feb. 8, 1955. They flipped the property selling to John G. & Anne B. Gourdeau on Oct. 18, 1955 who then sold to
Arthur C. Antonopoulos, wife Madeline on Nov. 26, 1956.
Arthur C. Antonopoulos (Americanized to Anton) was from Lowell, MA and owned a cleaning business there. This property became their Andover branch of the family business. Most of the deeds from the AWCo and Arden Trust came with deed restrictions as to what could be built, the cost of the building, location, and materials used. This deed however did not carry the restrictions, allowing for the construction of the building, in the business zoned area, in front of the historic Donald Home.
Construction began, almost immediately that fall, and opened for business in May 1957. The Grand Opening was May 4th. The building facade has been re-worked and up-dated through the years.
The property and cleaning business remains today with the next generation of the Antonopoulos family.
Walter C. Donald
Fannie S. Smith - July 23, 1900 - b. 179 p. 44
Henry P. Binney, Trustee - Aug. 30, 1910 - b. 295 p. 88
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215 (parcel #14 p. 226)
Joseph DeAcutis - Jan. 12, 1931 - b. 556 p. 144
Edward S. & Katherine M. Moss - May 6, 1953 - b. 775 p. 307 - this house lot
Nicholas R. & Stella R. Mulick - Feb. 8, 1955 b. 808 p. 159
John G. & Anne B. Gourdeau - Oct. 18, 1955 - b. 882 p. 204
Arthur C. Antonopoulos, wife Madeline - Nov. 26, 1956 - b. 846 p. 43
Arthur C. Anton Realty Trust, Arthur C. Anton & Socrates C. Antonopoulas, Tr. - Oct. 1, 1966 - b. 1079 p. 113
Anton Realty Trust, Arthur C. Anton - Jan 4, 1971 - b. 1172 p. 427
Anton Realty Trust, John C. Anton (Antonopoulos) - May 19, 1976 - b. 1282 p. 200
|Street||North Main St|
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Anton's Cleaners|
|Present Use||Clothing Cleaner business|
|Original Use||Clothing Cleaner business|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Donald House to rear of property|
|Map and parcel||52-30|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||June 10, 2015|