Mid 20th century ranch style home popular after WWII and built through the 1970s. Attached garage, picture window also common elements. The home, although not historic, but was listed in the building survey of Boston Road homes.
Present owner: Cummings #22
Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd. 1930-1935, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading, as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule in 1920 adds to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation list and within the Scotland School District from 1785-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development of this neighborhood came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.
William P. Shattuck purchased this 16 acre tract of land between South Main St and Boston Road on Mar. 29, 1902. Eleanor Fairbrother purchased the entire parcel on July 16, 1909.
Eleanor Clemmons was born Aug. 1872 dau. of Charles E. & Ella J. (Nichols) Clemmons. Eleanor married four times. First on June 26, 1897 in Epping, NH to Charles Fairbrother b. Mar. 1850 in China, Maine son of Wm. V. & Mary A. (Jackson) Fairbrother. Charles, a farmer at the time of marriage, would become a Veterinarian. They lived in Wilmington in 1900. Eleanor and Charles had four children; Charles R. b. July 1898, Lafayette b. Dec. 1899. Viola G. b. 1905 and William H. b. 1907.
Eleanor & Charles lived in the home at 1 Cottage Road and had the land surveyed and parceled off into house lots in September 1911 by Ralph D. Hood Civil Engineer (Map #147). Three new roads were created to access the properties off Boston and County Roads. Two roads remain undeveloped "Paper Streets" today although they appear on a plan in 1966 as Jackson Street north of this lot and Lafayette St. to the east. Charles died on Feb. 19, 1912 in West Newbury, MA. His occupation is listed as Real Estate. Eleanor remarried on Dec. 6, 1913 to Edgar Manning Earley b. Dec. 13, 1873 in Topsfield, MA, son of Charles and Mary E. (Margeson) Earley. Edgar was married before and had five children. Edgar died on Dec. 26, 1917 in Andover. Eleanor marred a third time to Alexander Hamel and last to Maynard.
Eleanor Earley sold off 21 parcel lots to the C & H Company of Somerville, MA Clarence W. Hall, Treas. on Dec. 1, 1931. Ernest & Irene M. Gallant purchased the property on May 27, 1949 which included lots 41, 42, 43, 44, 49 and 50. Ernest purchased lot 52 on April 7, 1950 from Mary Catherine Callan of NY. Callen had purchaced it in 1914 from Eleanor Earley.
Lots 50 and 51 make up the parcel which is now 36 Boston Rd. It appears that the first owner occupants were Kenneth W. & Doris M. Snell, Jr. who purchased on Mar. 12, 1956. Kenneth Snell b. 1935 was a truck driver, wife Doris b. 1936 a housewife.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #147 - Sept. 1911 lots 51 & 52
Charles H. Allen
Francis P. & Sylvia Goss - Oct. 29, 1864 - b. 676 leaf 169
Lucy M. Buxton - Oct. 9, 1884 - b. 78 p. 576 - 16 1/2 acres
Daniel A. McIntire, wife Elizabeth - Oct. 24, 1894 - b. 143 p. 144 - 16 1/2 acres
William P. Shattuck - Mar. 29, 1902 - b. 193 p. 14 - 16 acres
Eleanor Fairbrother - July 16, 1909 - b. 276 p. 284
Ethel E. Gallagher - Dec. 6, 1913 - b. 336 p. 576
Edgar M. Earley & Eleanor Fairbrother - Dec. 6, 1913 - b. 336 p. 578
Edgar M. Earley estate, Eleanor Earley - Dec. 26, 1917
C & H Company, Clarence W. Hall, Treas. - Dec. 1, 1931 - b. 562 p. 128 - 21 parcel lots
Ernest & Irene M. Gallant - May 27, 1949 - b. 723 p. 550 lots 41,42,43,44,49,50, & 51
Ernest & Irene M. Gallant - Apr. 12, 1950 - b. 830 p. 92 - lot 52
Kenneth W. & Doris M. Snell, Jr. - Mar. 12, 1956 - b. 830 p. 92
Leonard H. & Ruth L. McLaughlin - Mar. 28, 1962 - b. 955 p. 70
Wilbur R. & Genevieve Spangenburger - Aug. 23, 1963 - b. 992 p. 228 mtg
Paul R. Burke - Oct. 26, 1966 - b. 1071 p. 86
Paul R. & Elizabeth M. Burke - Apr. 5, 1967 - b. 1079 p. 257
Peter C. & Lisa M. Cummings - Sept. 6, 1988 - b. 2801 p. 151
Lisa M. Cummings - Mar. 30, 1998 - b. 5010 p. 74
Wayne R. Freichs - Oct. 20, 2013 - b. 13684 p. 73
Wayne R. & Nancy E Frerichs - Oct. 2, 2014 - b. 14016 p. 245
Alex Thibodeau & Rachael A. Barron - Dec. 11, 2014 - b. 14068 p.236
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Kenneth & Doris Snell House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Wall/Trim||Red cedar shingle/board|
|Map and parcel||83-16|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||01/30/2006, 5/13/2018|