Original owner: Esther H. (Smith) Byers
Subsequent uses: residence, apartments, condominiums
Themes: Architectural, Community development, Education, Industry
Historical significance: 1891, Esther H. (Smith) Byers tore down the old and former South Parish Manse and created 36 Central Street. Esther was born Oct. 19, 1836, the daughter of Peter & Esther (Ward) Smith of the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. She married John Byers b. Aug. 20, 1831 in Brechin, Scotland. John Byers was responsible for the rebuilding of Christ Episcopal Church after fire destroyed the first edifice. Byers hired the architectural firm and gave the money to build the new church. Unfortunately he died on Sept. 1, 1888 at age 57. John & Esther lived in New York and summered in Andover. Esther decided to return to Andover and on March 16, 1891 purchased this five acre lot of land with the old Manse, from Nathaniel A. & Emily A. Means, and David McG. Means.
July 31, 1891 AT - Nepoleon Dubord is putting in the cellar for a new residence to be built for Mrs. John Byers on the old Means Estate. The house promises by plan to be one of the nicest in town when completed. The contract for the building is not yet awarded
P.A. – The plans for the Taylor Cottage were made by A. W. Longfellow of Boston, the Architect of Mrs. Byers new residence.
Aug. 7, 1891 – AT p. 1 – Hardy & Cole have the contract for building the new residence and stable for Mrs. John Byers
Feb. 19, 1892 AT - Quite a large family is at work on the interior of the new Byers house on the corner of School and Chestnut (sic) Central St.) Streets. Hardy & Cole having a force of twenty men there, besides plumbers, painters and masons.
May 27, 1892 AT - A new barn for Mrs. Byers is to be built by contractor Brainard Cummings.
Esther lived out her days in the grand home she built. Esther died on March 21, 1904 and is interred in the Smith family lot at West Parish Cemetery. Her estate was handled by her nephew Peter Smith, who was living in Montclair, NJ with his wife Blanche.
Smith sold the property to Ella V. Cann on May 31, 1905 and the property was later transferred into both her and her husband' s name Judge George W. Cann in April 1914. After George died Ella who sold the five acre property to Jerome Cross, Sr. on Oct. 12, 1916.
Oct.. 6, 1916 AT – "Jerome W. Cross purchased Judge Cann estate of corner of School and Central Streets. Former John Byers estate. Cross will move his Riding Academy to his property." Jerome owned the Cross Coal Company in Andover.
Jerome & Ethel Cross sold the house on June 19, 1940 to Herman H. Petzold and moved to 59 Central St.
The large house was divided up into apartments and remained as such until 2008 when the house was converted into eight individual condominium units, one with 2 bed rooms and seven one bedroom units. The five acres were gradually sold off. for house lots along School St. and the former carriage house and stable to the St. Augustine church for conversion into a convent for their teaching Nuns at the St. Augustine School next door to the Byers mansion.
Carriage House conversion; In 1951, remodeled under direction of Saint Augustine's rector, Rev. P.I. Campbell. It was still used as a convent until mid 2000's. The structure was razed in 2011.
In 1914 Rev. Frederick S. Riordan, C.S.A. of St. Augustine's Church, purchased the former Horace H. Tyer Mansion at 1 Chestnut St. and established the Sisters of Notre Dame. They ran a parochial school in the Tyer house until Saint Augustine's School was built at corner of Central and Chestnut Streets in 1918.
Essex County Registry Deeds - Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds - Lawrence, MA
National Registry of Historic Places
Andover Historical Society files
Fuess, Claude; "Andover: Symbol of New England", 1959, pg. 337
Saint Augustine's Parish; Andover, Mass. 1866 - 1966, 100th anniversary - (centennial of church as independent parish)
"100th Anniversary, St. Augustine's Parish", 1852 - 1952, Lawrence 1952, (Centennial of organization as mission in Lawrence.
Map plans #1246 - 1940, #1432 - May 1940, # 1541 Aug.- 1945
South Parish Meetinghouse Manse
Elijah L. Herrick - Dec. 1, 1817 - b. 218 leaf 234 Salem, deeds
Timothy Osgood - Nov. 25, 1824 - b. 237 lf. 205
Henry Osgood - May 4, 1835 - b. 286 lf. 92
George H. French = Sept. 8, 1851 - b. 450 lf. 144
James Means - May 14, 1856 - b. 531 lf. 231
James Means estate - died Apr. 6, 1863 - probate
Elizabeth Means, widow life estate 1863 - died Jan. 9, 1890
Means Heirs, Nathaniel A., Emily A., David McG., and Lilla Means - 1890
Esther H. Byers - Mar. 16, 1892 - b. 111 p. 424 - 5 acres Lawrence deeds
Esther H. Byers estate died March 21, 1904
Peter Smith - 1904 by Will
Ella V. Cann - May 31, 1905 - b. 221 p. 48
George W. & Ella V. Cann - Apr. 23, 1914 - b. 340 p. 289
Jerome Cross - Oct. 12, 1916 - b. 369 p. 267
Herman H. Petzold - June 19, 1940 - b. 631 p. 292
Herman H. Petzold - Nov. 29, 1961 - b. 949 p. 193
Karl C. & Geneva H. Killorian - Dec. 23, 1966 - b. 1074 p. 312
Geneva H. Killorian - Aug. 12, 1982 - b. 1596 p. 259
Geneva H. Killorian 1992 Trust, Eric Killorian Trustee - Mar. 27, 1992 - b. 3440 p. 336
36 Central Street Condominiums - Oct. 31, 2008 - b. 11363 p. 176-204 master deed
|Historic District||Central Street NRH District|
|Historic Name||Esther H. Byers House|
|Present Use||Condo apartments|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||A. W. Longfellow of Boston|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||former carriage house was converted into Convent for Sisters of Notre Dame, teaching nuns for St. Augustine's School|
|Major Alterations||remodeled (1934 - 1966) Curved front porch on center entrance removed Condo conversion 2008|
|Map and parcel||55-109|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 4/2014|