36 Elm Street

Architectural Description: 

Italianate style, bracketed eaves and returns, and bay windows, a popular addition to Andover homes in the last quarter of the 19th century.

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: Architectural, Community development

This property was once owned by Mark Newman and sold to William Chickering on April 23, 1841. The Chickering home is next door at 40 Elm St. This lot was the site of the Chickering carpenters shop in 1852 and 1872. Chickering, a master carpenter most likely built this home between 1872-1880. It is quit possible that the shop was moved to the rear of the property as four structures appear on the 1906 map of Andover center.

William Chickering was born Aug. 24, 1810 in Andover, son of Zachariah & Mary Osgood (Holt) Chickering. William married on Oct. 6, 1836 to Frances "Fanny" Noyes born Oct.13,1813 in West Andover, dau. of Frederick & Hannah Noyes. William & Fanny had five children but only one survived to adulthood: William H. b. July 3, 1837 - Sept. 3, 1837, Fanny M. b. Nov. 8, 1838 -d. Apr. 28, 1840, William Wallace b. July 9, 1841 - d. Feb. 22, 1843, George E. b. June 29, 1843 - d. 1913 and Emma J. b. Aug. 1, 1845 - d. Sept. 28, 1846. William Chickering was a master carpenter and had his shop next door to his home at 36 Elm St. His father died in 1841 and his mother Mary O. lived with them until her death on Feb. 11, 1856. William Chickering was town moderator 10 times (1858-1871), served on jury - on committee studying plans for new town hall in 1853.

William Chickering was born Aug. 24, 1810 in Andover, son of Zachariah & Mary Osgood (Holt) Chickering. William married on Oct. 6, 1836 to Frances "Fanny" Noyes born Oct.13,1813 in West Andover, dau. of Frederick & Hannah Noyes. William & Fanny had five children but only one survived to adulthood: William H. b. July 3, 1837 - Sept. 3, 1837, Fanny M. b. Nov. 8, 1838 -d. Apr. 28, 1840, William Wallace b. July 9, 1841 - d. Feb. 22, 1843, George E. b. June 29, 1843 - d. 1913 and Emma J. b. Aug. 1, 1845 - d. Sept. 28, 1846. William Chickering was a master carpenter and had his shop next door to his home at 36 Elm St. His father died in 1841 and his mother Mary O. lived with them until her death on Feb. 11, 1856. William Chickering was town moderator 10 times (1858-1871), served on jury - on committee studying plans for new town hall in 1853.

The Federal census list William & Fanny with son George and Hannah Chickering 42 in 1860 a "tailoress" in 1870 and an Ellis Berdick age 14 from RI at school, boarder. In 1880 census Wm. & Fanny have a domestic Julia Weston 58 from Maine with them. Next door, in this home is John E. Whiting age 32 Jeweler, wife Adaline S. 35, son Frank S. age 4 and Frank Perce 48 wool sorter, and two student boarders; James S. Mattiean 18 form NJ and John B. Abell 21 from MA.

John Whiting was a respected citizen and well liked by his customers. Whiting moved to Andover in 1867 and opened a small jewelry store. Dec. 21, 1883 AA pg. 3 J. E. Whiting – moves to Barnard block – has been in town 16 years.

John E. Whiting jeweler moved into the corner storefront at 32 Main St. in Dec. 1883 from the then "Swift Building" across the street at #17 Main St.. This was Whiting’s fifth and last location since establishing his business in 1867. May 31, 1907 pg. 1 - The store occupied by J. E. Whiting will have more room and better light by the transposition of the Barnard Street entrance into a large window, Hardy & Cole do the work.

It was John Whitings' design of a small broach pin for the Town's 250th Anniversary Celebration that would be adopted as the official logo in 1896 and later in 1900 adapted into the town seal that we continue to use today. his store at 32 Main St. in the Barnard building. Whiting was living here at the time he designed the pin.
Bessie Goldsmith writes it was the home, in 1887, of John F. Whiting, jeweler, before he bought the new home on 9 Maple Avenue (Nov. 7, 1889), built by William Goldsmith. (Townswoman's Andover, p. 102)

William Chickering died on June 5, 1880 and Fanny died on July 29, 1887. Both are interred in the family lot a South Parish Cemetery.
Son George Chickering b. June 29, 1843 graduated from Punchard High School, attended Phillips Academy, and graduated from Dartmouth 1866. George went on to become Supt. of Schools in Lawrence. George married Harriet A. b. 1843. In 1860 - 1910 Andover Valuation assessment books, George Chickering is listed as the owner.

George E. Chickering inherited the properties at 36 and 40 Elm St. George deeds this home to his wife Harriet Ann Chickering on Dec. 22, 1897. George died in 1913 and the estate properties were sold to John Angus, wife Annie on Oct. 15, 1915. John C. Angus then partners with local Realtor Barnett Rogers and deeds haft interest in the properties.

Separate lots were created by Angus & Rogers and this house and lot were sold to James F. & Isabella "Bella" A. Purcell on. June 29, 1918. James Francis Purcell was born in Limrick, Ireland, son of Thomas J. & Margaret M. (Phair) Pucell. He was eleven months old when his parents came to America from Ireland to NYC on the S.S Gallia on April 14, 1880. They first settled in Milford, MA, then to RI and finally in Lawrence, MA where his father was a Baker. Thomas J. died on July 29, 1894 of heart trouble. James now 16 followed his father and became a Baker. His widowed mother had four children to care for, James, Agnes b. Aug.1883 RI, Thomas J. b. July 1885 RI, and William J. b. Nov. 1890. James worked at a provisions store as a baker and his brothers followed his lead as bakers after a short time in the wool mills. Their sister Agnes was a store keeper.

James F. Purcell married Isabella Louisa Angus b. June 9, 1878 in Andover, dau. of Scottish immigrants. They moved to Andover and James took employment at Tyer Rubber Co. He later returned to baking. James & Bella had one daughter Margaret Wallace Purcell b. Aug. 9, 1912 in Andover. James died on Dec. 28, 1932 and his wife Bella died on May 23, 1941. The property was inherited by their daughter Margaret Purcell in 1941 from their estates. Margaret then sold the property to Carl E. & Bridie C. Ready on November 24, 1942.

Margaret Purcell married Wallace Rennie b. March 19, 1910 son of George & Margaret Mitchell Thompson had one son George Angus Rennie b. Jan. 25,1949. They owned the George Rennie Strawberry farm at 61 Argilla Rd.

The property remained in the Ready family as income property until recently when sold in 2013.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Townswoman's Andover - by Bessie Goldsmith 1964

Owners:
William Chickering - Apr. 23, 1841 - b. 324 leaf 237
George E. Chickering -
Harriet Ann Chickering - Dec. 22, 1897 - b. 159 p. 533
Geo. E. Chickering estate, Geo. W. Chickering Extr. - Apr. 15, 1915
John C. & Annie S. Angus - Oct. 25, 1915 - b. 358 p. 118
John C. Angus & Barnett Rogers - Oct. 25, 1915 - b. 385 p. 124
James F. & Bella A. Purcell - June 29, 1918 - b. 389 p. 245
Margaret W. Purcell - heir
Carl E. & Bridie C. Ready - Nov. 24, 1942 - b. 655 p. 449
Robert J. Ready - Dec. 29, 1970 - b. 1164 p. 275
Ocean City Development, LLC - Mar. 16, 2013 - b. 13404 p. 249
Eric J. & Erica L. Saum - Oct. 29, 2013 - b. 255

Inventory Data:

StreetElm St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameChickering - Purcell House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1875 - 1880
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleItalianate
Architect/BuilderWilliam Chickering
Foundationstone/granite/brick
Wall/Trimclabboards/wood
Roofasphalt - gable
Conditionexcellent
Acreage0.165 acre; 7,200 sq. ft., 60 ft approximate frontage
Settingresidential/business
Map and parcel38-132
MHC NumberANV.175
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 2/1/2016

Map: