36 Enmore Street

Architectural Description: 

Colonial Revival - Georgian revival

Historical Narrative: 

Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.

This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.

Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.

After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.

The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.

One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were David & Annie Rennie. David was an overseer at the American Woolen Co. He was born in Scotland and came to the US with his parents and 11 siblings in 1895. They first settled in Lawrence, working in the mills. In 1904 the family moved to May St. in North Andover. Many of his brothers and sister later became strawberry farmers on Argilla Rd. see 61 Argilla Rd.

This house was sold to Kenneth K. & Phyllis J. McKiniry on Mar. 1, 1946. Kenneth was a teacher and they were renting the home in 1943. They only owned one year then selling to George C. & Christina D. Reid, Jr. on June 20, 1947. Reid family owned three years then sold to Shirley C. (Concannon) Lebrie on Jan. 5, 1950. The Labrie family were long term owners of the property of 35 years. Shirley Concannon, b. 1928, married Lionel Lebrie b. 1923. The 1961 directory lists Lionel working for the U.S.I.A. and they had been living in Morocco in 1960 before returning to the US.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Andover Townsman
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #6
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
# 1412 - Oct. 2, 1942

George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 6th parcel
Kenneth K. & Phyllis J. McKiniry - Mar. 1, 1946 - b. 681 p. 349
George C. & Christina D. Reid, Jr. - June 20, 1947 - b. 699 p. 456
Shirley C. (Concannon) Lebrie - Jan. 5, 1950 - b. 731 p. 398
Shirley C. & Lionel A. Labrie - May 16, 1961 - b. 936 p. 136
Shirley C. Librie - June 30, 1976 - b. 1288 p. 294
Fleet National Bank -{New England Bay State Bank] - May 7, 1985 - b. 1970 p. 269
John M. Mahan = Aug. 20, 1997 - b. 4822 p. 290
John M. & Margaret A. Mahan - Oct. 31, 1997 - b. 4886 p. 141
William & Diana Fitzpatrick - June 17, 2005 - b. 9576 p. 325

Inventory Data:

StreetEnmore St
PlaceShawsheen Village - Frye Village
Historic DistrictShawsheen Village NRH District
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1921 - 1922
SourceERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs
Architectural StyleColonial Revival
Roofasphalt - hip
Major Alterationsasphalt roof replaces slate, enclosed side porch and second story addition
Acreage0.236 acre
Map and parcel19-24
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975 - 1977, 8/14/2015